HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 03, 2007, 12:06 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
I import them my friend, but as I'm UK based, I doubt my prices will be attractive!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
hm......which leads back to the original question of where to buy them in North America, i guess.
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Old Dec 04, 2007, 03:29 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
I could sell them in USD I suppose [since nobody over there is doing at the moment], but I still think it may work out a little expensive with shipping.....if you drop me a line....I'll look at it.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:11 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
i emailed Fly models in China and they told me to contact Nitro Models, as they are the North American distributer. Not on their website and i have had no response to me email as of yet..
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
i heard back from Nitro Models. They said it was currently out of stock and would be back in stock in 3-4 weeks. I don't think it has ever been in stock yet and it seemed like a standard, copy and paste answer to me, but at least it indicates they will probably be carrying it at some point...
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:46 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Probably, there is a minimum quantity with factory's like this, so chances are they will see what the interest is......which is partly why I stuck the vid up....to generate the interest......Nitro can send a cheque for the commission!!!!!!

Very important though that you guys drop me a line when you get one, I can save you a lot of headache/head-scratching.....nothing "bad".....but as is always the case with ARTF's....there is an easy way...and a hard way! And I'm sure you will want a succesful maiden.

It is very plain when you open the box.....which is a good thing, loads of scope for "scaling" it up!
Old Dec 05, 2007, 12:02 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing

Very important though that you guys drop me a line when you get one, I can save you a lot of headache/head-scratching.....nothing "bad".....but as is always the case with ARTF's....there is an easy way...and a hard way! And I'm sure you will want a succesful maiden.
Why not post those comments here and now? That's the magic of these forums -- to share information. We'd all like to hear more about your assembly and flying experience with the model.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Dec 05, 2007, 02:43 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Well, I could, but then if they are not going to come into the USA for weeks......not exactly relevant yet is it? I dunno, maybe I'm wrong?

Let's take a vote.....who wants me to bore you all about it?!
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:10 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
Well, I could, but then if they are not going to come into the USA for weeks......not exactly relevant yet is it? I dunno, maybe I'm wrong?

Let's take a vote.....who wants me to bore you all about it?!
I'm sure everyone will rush to vote "no" -- after all, who interested in purchasing a a B-17 wants to hear commentary on a B-17 from someone with direct knowledge on the B-17 in a thread specifically about that very B-17 on a forum dedicated to model airplanes that include B-17s? Boring, premature and irrelevant those B-17 insights are.

Sounds like you're off the hook.
Last edited by SPasierb; Dec 05, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:34 PM
Shut up and FLY!!!!!
Philadelphia, PA__ Old people hate guitar solos.....I WIN!
Joined Jan 2005
1,068 Posts
I'm already bored
You may bore me some more
Ibanezjimjim666 is offline Find More Posts by Ibanezjimjim666
Old Dec 06, 2007, 03:14 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Ooooh, and I thought you guys were all gentlemen! Ok, no big deal;

1 - Take it out of the box....and it's very plain, no detail at all [this is a good thing for scaling up], no turrets, etc are fitted, just a very plain silver fus and wings, red vertical stabilizer [which are very nicely made by the way], detail work will also require the front "glass" to be painted, as well as nose windows and waist gunners positions. Likewise, engine nacelles are simply silver, so loads of scope.

2 - It WILL require noseweight, as usual, the reccomended C of G is not even close to right, and needs to be for the maiden 75-80mm [it needed a little up trim at this, so chances are you can loose some weight gradually, so fit it "temporary" as I did]. It has a very long fus obviously, with a large empenage, hence the weight required

3 - Motors, I used 400 class 2012-10 [1340kv] x 4, you will NOT get anything bigger in there, 4 x 18A ESC [red wires cut, used OPTO], RX battery helping with noseweight, props reccomended for these motors are 7x5....but were no good at all.....8x4 three blade GWS ok, but the best set up for sure was 8x6 two blade, 8" is as big as the props can be due the clearance. Servo's are "standard" size IC, no point going expensive, so 4 x cheap ones + 1 x retract servo if you so wish. Combined power on the set up above is basically 500w, that will fly around scale on 1/2-1/3 throttle, with enough power on tap to get you out of trouble.

4 - Tried 2 x 2100mAh Lipo initially, which I'm sure would have been ok [20c needed], but the packs were tired, so stuck in a 3600mAh pack I had hanging around, which was also good. Remember, if you go with 2 x Lipo, wire up 1 motor from each wing to it, not both on one side, so if one battery runs down before the other, you won't get a nasty swing.

5 - Comes with fixed U/C, but with provisions for retracts, I used cheap CMPro type, you must put the bend for the wheels "the wrong way"....in other words, facing out [as per the real plane anyway once in the down position], the reason for this is that the leg's need to be bent [ends up looking scale-ish anyway] forward to come level with the leading edge of the wing to prevent nose-overs, and would not retract into the wheel wells [so leave the covering on until you are sure what to cut] when retracted. As you can see from the vid, you can't really see the protruding wheels. I also spaced the retract mount at the rear by about 5mm [as much as you can basically], this means the bends in the leg's don't have to be too severe.

6 - It is really very sensitive on aileron, they are basically too big, and somebody has already pointed out, that if you really wanted to, you could use a portion of them for flaps. Anyway, for the maiden, lot's of exponential [to keep her looking scale in the air], and throws only need to be 5-7mm, it is a total pussycat on reduced throws.

7 - Thrust lines...somewhat bizarre this, I think I can understand why it's done, but I didn't like it very much...basically, they are staggered, so after the nacelles and motors are mounted, look at the thrust lines, and re-adjust with some washers [the blind nuts for the motors are pre-fitted, and the screws to mount the motors are supplied], just use a bit of common sense, and it takes very, very little time to get them all the same [using the one that looks "right" as the template].....which is what I did, flys superbly.

Other than the above, all very simple and straightforward.....the one in the vid was thrown together in a couple of days, if someone was to take their time scaling it, etc, you would have a seriously nice ARTF 4 engined bomber, that flies superbly, is a nice size, and is bound to make you stand out on the flight-line......I thank you.
Last edited by Scott Cuppello; Dec 06, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 08:27 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
Phoenix -- VERY helpful information and really adds some useful light to all of the uncertaintly, conjecture and derisive remarks around this plane. Seeing yours fly in the earlier video and now this commentary on your experience with the kit (box of parts?) is deeply appreciated!

While the stock photos in post #1 were none too impressive, you've shown that there is the opportunity if one so desires to invest time to make scale additions, modify the stock situation and come away with an airplane that will have a touch more fidelity AND be fun to fly.

Much obliged.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 10:44 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Young man.......a pleasure.......let's just hope somebody get's them into the USA for you now....it really is a good 'un!
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:13 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
are there no clear parts then? The nose bomb aimer's blister and cockpit windows are solid and have to be painted? What about the turrets....they look clear from the pictures i've seen but you can always tell.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 01:20 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Only the front glass is "missing" [basically it's just solid silver], so I just painted the area black, and used cheap silver lining tape, the turrets, etc are all there. On that basis, I painted all the others black, and added the waist-gunners windows, etc......black....is the new black!

This is a bonus for sure, like I said, it's so plain, that a really good scale job could be achieved, on the other hand, for a bit of black paint, you end up with something that looks......well, like the one in the video.

One thing that did strike me about it was [and maybe why it's done this way]......it looks very like the post-war B-17 Airliners and stuff......was almost tempted to stick some TWA stickers on the tail.....but that would be too out there....even for me.
Closed Thread