Closed Thread
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
To say it is "worst" is overstatement. There are plenty of "sport scale" model out there that only remotely resemble what they model. This B-17 captures the general shape well. As the small details like tail wheel position and turret positions they are secondary. Just look at how many P-51 Mustang models out there having tail wheel at non-scale position and how many warbird models that do not have guns.

The Dare, EAM and others you are talking about are KITS with quite a bit of building involved. Not many people this day have the time and skill to build kits from hundreds of balsa sticks and sheets.

The one offered here is ARF one can put together in a night or two. It should be a welcome offer not a target of bashing. If you don't like it don't buy it. You don't need to insult the kit and people here.
sorry...I don't agree. This ARF is the worst in my opinion.....and there is a lot more wrong with it that you mention.

I think I am free to express my opinion of the kit around here. And, I am not insulting any person here in the group or anything here except for the chinese ARF company and this terrible model.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2007, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
First off, Thomas is completely entitled to his opinion, and I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings. You're an adult, deal with it.
Secondly, the only thing that purchasing this model will do is promote our Chinese friends to make more cheap crap.

But... You are also entitled to your opinion, so if you want to get it.. Knock yourself out. But do not tell someone not to speak up because their opinion doesn't match yours.

Blue
Blue Solitare is offline Find More Posts by Blue Solitare
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:45 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
I think what Shschon was saying is that Thomas B, while entitled to his opinion, was a bit heavy handed in his statements....with words like 'abortion' and 'crap'.

If he doesn't like it fine. If he doesn't want to buy one fine. He can state his opinion that he doesn't like it and he's not going to buy one. Fine.

But the scathing tone of his posts makes it sound like anyone that does get one is a complete loser.

And comparing it to the Dare or EAM kits is not a fair comparison at all. Those are very expensive and complicated KITS. And for the money and effort that one has to put into them, they darn well better be good.

This Fly B-17 is really not that bad. It is instantly recognizable as a B-17, reasonably well proportioned, a nice size and a decent price for what you get. Many of the details are off but some can be corrected fairly easily and others, well, one may just have to live with them. It will still look pretty decent, in my opinion. This is a hobby for fun....most of us aren't building museum pieces.

I will probably get one, unless i hear some bad reports about flying qualities. With a bit of work i think it will be a dandy plane to have.

This is all my opinion of course.
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:00 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
It doesn't look that bad, but the ball turret kills it for me. t's just too far out of position. I'd have to move it.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Sep 06, 2007, 11:32 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
Anyone know how you buy one of these things? I've emailed them 3 times over about 4 weeks and have had one response which totally ignored my question about how i order and how i pay.
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
well guess what...i heard back from them. They don't accept credit cards or Paypal.....they only take payment via bank transfer.

If they think i'm going to send nearly $200 in cash, to some place in China and then hope an airplane shows up in my mailbox, they're dreaming.

So, i guess that's that. No B-17 for me.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:07 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Thank goodness that they at least make it hard to get that thing....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 07, 2007, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
lol.....
Old Nov 09, 2007, 01:41 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
anyone heard anything more about this? Seems to have vanished.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 04:25 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,274 Posts
I've looked all around and nothing yet. I'm hoping Nitro Models will carr it soon.
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Nov 09, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
so it's still alive then? I havent seen or heard of it for months...
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:18 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Have built it, flown it, and video'd it.....have a look in the electric planes video section....or better still....somebody smarter than me put a link up! It's a pretty big file as I wanted decent quality.....but hey....what's 2-3mins of your life!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:22 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
Have built it, flown it, and video'd it.....have a look in the electric planes video section....or better still....somebody smarter than me put a link up! It's a pretty big file as I wanted decent quality.....but hey....what's 2-3mins of your life!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780858

Nice video. Thanks for sharing!! Took a while to download, but much appreciated! While certainly not fine scale, the plane does look really good in the air and seems to perform quite nicely. I bet it sounds great. Congratulations!

I assume that some of the graphics (like, "B-17" and "USAF") that are shown in the static pictures can be deleted?

I have not seen a thing about USA supply of these?
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:17 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Oh sure, those silly stickers are in the box, but not on the model. To be honest, it's very plain when you open the box, there is tons of scope for scale work, the one in the video had little done to it, it was built in 2 days flat!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
where did you buy it from?
Closed Thread