712 Posts
Here's my Multiplex conversion.
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/B-17-Flying-Fort...QQcmdZViewItem

These are starting to hit Ebay i see....sooner than expected.

aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Last edited by aferguson; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/B-17-Flying-For...1QQcmdZViewItem

These are starting to hit Ebay i see....sooner than expected.

Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nuremberg (Germany)
Joined Sep 2005
51 Posts
a little more info from fly-model. my first mail ....
Which material is it made? Can i order 1 or 2? what is the shipping price to germany?....

The freight is USD70/PCS and it is make by wooden,if you want to order sample which our MOQ is 5PCS Pls advise me your EMS Account Then i will arrange for you which we have it in ourstock

my second mail.....
Is there anywhere some detail pics of the kit or the model. And i forgot to ask what is the price for the model.

the price is USD95/PCS,And freight is USD70/PCS by ems you can sell more details in our website is www.fly-model.com

no more detail pics

Greetz Ralph
sir_didi is offline Find More Posts by sir_didi
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
the price is $95? Is this an ARF? The seller on Ebay said they were going for $350AUS which is about $270US, which i thought was pretty high...

Something is fishy..
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
Stinson Guy
Joined Feb 2007
3 Posts
Mey's B-17

I just acquired a Mey's Hi Tech Hobbies B-17 kit for electrics. 78" wingspan, entirely fiberglass with foam cores. Eveything fiberglass including ailerons and elevators. Beautiful kit but not much info. Anyone know anything about it???
Stinsonguy47 is offline Find More Posts by Stinsonguy47
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:41 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
This B-17 is a complete abortion...look at the vertical tail, in addition to the list of otther sins posted in the thread.

Fly-Model has no respect for this subject, doing the landing gear that way and doing such a poor job of replicating the real thing overall.

You can tweak a scale model and still get pleasing results, like the Great Planes electric PBY.

I would make them pay me to build and fly one, much less buy one...what a piece of crap.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 24, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
Has anyone got one of these in hand yet? Is it a kit or an ARF? I'm not convinced it's an ARF.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
i just notice the price they quoted me is higher. They quoted me $99 plus $97 shipping to Toronto, Canada. $31 higher. That stinks.

edit: oh, you're in germany...so shipping would be less. I won't worry about the $4 price difference on the plane.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:12 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
It looks like a Multiplex Cargo hack. The EAM version looks spot on..Personally, I'd go for the EAM.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
the EAM is great, except that i have to build the wings and tail surfaces virtually from scratch. I have no experience (and thus skill) at doing something like that.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
The avalibility of B-17 kits is limited, ARF's are non-existant, and the ONLY RTF I'm aware of is the 2ch EPP one, which can be RC converted, but doesnt have the size to make a good bomber. Beggers can't be choosers unless you scratchbuild. For the price, this one is "close enough."
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff
The avalibility of B-17 kits is limited, ARF's are non-existant, and the ONLY RTF I'm aware of is the 2ch EPP one, which can be RC converted, but doesnt have the size to make a good bomber. Beggers can't be choosers unless you scratchbuild. For the price, this one is "close enough."
Sorry...even at this price, it is NOT close enough...it is one of the worst renditions of a scale model, ever.

The Dare B-17 is available, the EAM one is available and there are other kits as well. No scratch building required unless you need a larger one.....which this one is.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
It looks like a Multiplex Cargo hack. The EAM version looks spot on..Personally, I'd go for the EAM.
I think the Multiplex cargo B-17 kitbash at the top of the second page actually looks better in some ways than the Fly Models model on the first page.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:37 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Sorry...even at this price, it is NOT close enough...it is one of the worst renditions of a scale model, ever.

The Dare B-17 is available, the EAM one is available and there are other kits as well. No scratch building required unless you need a larger one.....which this one is.
To say it is "worst" is overstatement. There are plenty of "sport scale" model out there that only remotely resemble what they model. This B-17 captures the general shape well. As the small details like tail wheel position and turret positions they are secondary. Just look at how many P-51 Mustang models out there having tail wheel at non-scale position and how many warbird models that do not have guns.

The Dare, EAM and others you are talking about are KITS with quite a bit of building involved. Not many people this day have the time and skill to build kits from hundreds of balsa sticks and sheets.

The one offered here is ARF one can put together in a night or two. It should be a welcome offer not a target of bashing. If you don't like it don't buy it. You don't need to insult the kit and people here.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Closed Thread