HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:30 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Discussion
How the hell do you paint foam?

This is all about painting foam, not fiberglass with foam underneath it, or polyester dryer sheets with foam underneath it. It is about plain old foam like a styrofoam beer cooler or a GWS Formosa wing.

WBPU...water based poly-urethane.. clear finish usually for wood floors and trim
LWS....light weight spackle...usually for quick sheet-rock (wallboard) repair
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Last edited by Eljimb0; Jul 18, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
My advice is to use acrylic craft paint. You can buy it from a craft store like "Michaels". When you buy it, get the big plastic bottles of white, black and silver when it's on sale it costs less than 2 dollars. All the colors of the rainbow can be created by mixing the other colors but you will always need black white and silver.
....Good luck with this thread and lets keep it clean
jimbo
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I agree with the craft paints. The only paints I will use, for the most part. I got alot of the small bottles on sale at wally world a few months back. Most Walmarts are getting rid of their craft/fabric depts. I picked up about 20-30 bottles for around .30-.45 cents each.
What are you using to dilute the paint?
I use water but have heard of using windex, what about alcohol?

For painting GWS planes I first sand smooth with some 400 paper and fill with LWS. Then coat it with WBPU (several coats), then lightly sand with wet/dry 1500 paper. This gives a smooth as glass finish. Then simply paint it. (If it were only that simple)
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
I have used water and also used windex.. I can't tell the difference in the results..
water is really cheap!!..
Here's a tip.. go on a yogurt kick. Pretend it is good for you and you are trying to lose weight.. Save up all the containers and lids. When you have about fifty of them re-examine your yogurt commitment . The containers are perfect for mixing and saving paint.. After you get a color that works for what you are doing.. paint the top of the container with that color and stowe it. ...fix dings in your model with it. When the model bites the dust ...use the rest of that paint in your general camo mix .. jimbo.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:22 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,048 Posts
I used Tamiya Mica Red in the spray can for this Formosa II. It is a metallic paint and looks great.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
Tamiya acrylics in the bottle work great too. They have a nice sheen and don't show brush strokes as much as craft paint from my experience. Here's a fuse I did with Tamiya:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=249656
ozoneone is offline Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,725 Posts
Ultracote paints work very well in light coats. Very durable and doesn't crack. A bit more spensive, but great results...

Other than that I've tried Krylon H2o and Short Cuts both with success.

Nothing beats acrylic applied with an airbrush though

Brian
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I've used the Krylon H2O, works good but colors are limited. I have not been able to find the short cuts.
What tamiya cans are you guys talking about. The only ones I know of are the ones for plastic and melt foam.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:05 AM
Puddle Jumper
San Diego
Joined Jul 2007
49 Posts
Hey all,

I wanted to get in on this thread because I'm interested in using my airbrush to paint my Magpie foam plane. So it sounds like acrylic paints are the way to go correct? This won't damage the foam? How about protecting the paint when you are done? Do you just put a clear tape over it afterwards? I know on the Magpie it is recommended to tape up the foam so that it becomes more sturdy. Now I'm just curious if that would be correct method. Also, do you have to lay down a base coat before you start? Thanks

Burt
*Centurion* is offline Find More Posts by *Centurion*
Last edited by *Centurion*; Aug 23, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:27 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
No base coat.. acrylic paint sticks to everything.
jimbo
Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
Puddle Jumper
San Diego
Joined Jul 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0
No base coat.. acrylic paint sticks to everything.
jimbo
So what would be the recommendation after you put the paint on to protect it and the foam?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Well, some form of varnish, transparent floor coating. Maybe a spray on fuel-proofer, assuming it won't eat into the foam or the acrylic. Acrylics are great, it's just the ones that are water soluble that can cause problems.

I like the fact the Tamiya paint doesn't show the brush strokes. I've only worked with it once, it was some of the best paint I've ever used. Smoothest, streak-free, but a little pricey in a spray can. Can't wait to try the 1/2 ounce jars.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Centurion*
Hey all,

I wanted to get in on this thread because I'm interested in using my airbrush to paint my Magpie foam plane. So it sounds like acrylic paints are the way to go correct? This won't damage the foam? How about protecting the paint when you are done? Do you just put a clear tape over it afterwards? I know on the Magpie it is recommended to tape up the foam so that it becomes more sturdy. Now I'm just curious if that would be correct method. Also, do you have to lay down a base coat before you start? Thanks

Burt
I prefer a base coat myself. I usually just use white. Mainly it helps the colors POP. Using light colors on blu-cor you tend to see the words and the blue comes through, causing some tinting. For a "Clear coat" Use minwax polycrylic. Either a brush or since your planning on using AB then pick up a spray can, you can get it at just about any home improvement center even wallyworld.

Just a tip before painting clean the foam with alcohol, then use latex gloves to handle. This will keep the oils from your skin off the foam and causing your paint to fish eye.
Harry
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:15 PM
Puddle Jumper
San Diego
Joined Jul 2007
49 Posts
That all sounds like good info. Thanks for the tips. So now we have a way of protecting the paint but what about the foam/plane? Don't people usually use the colored tape to harden the foam? Especially on the wing fronts right?
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:59 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Future Floor polish makes a great clearcoat when sprayed through an airbrush- or it can be brushed on, but you may get brush strokes. It is foam safe.
ScaleBrad is online now Find More Posts by ScaleBrad