HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:00 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
364 Posts
Discussion
Electrifying a 60" Climax-help please

So I've got this CR Aircraft Climax hand launch (pre discus) with the polyflap wing. I crashed it a while ago, did some hack repairs and then stored it. I was thinking of selling but now I think it would be cool to electrify it. Just enough power to launch and get up to thermal height. I've not done conversions before and I don't know the new power systems very well.

Can anyone help me with motor/battery combos for this? I can weigh it and get fuse nose measurements. I've got a small park flier with lipoly batteries so I've got the charger and related gear.

Thanks,
BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
Exeter, NH
Joined Jun 2005
24 Posts
motor-bat

As long as you could cut the fus to accept a 30mm spinner your options are wide open.

Easiest is probably a 20mm short can geared motor and an 15-25A esc which will fit a tight fuselage. If you have room for the three outrunner wires to pass the notor, a 1oz outrunner lile the multiplex would be lighter but a bit less effecient.

For a battery I would suggest the smallest 3s lipo that will put out the amps needed for your motor choice. This would probably be a 600-850mah with a rating of 20-30C.

On what is brobably a similar plane I have a CC Momba 3200 4:1 with a 9x5 and climb is good at about 60-70 degrees drawing 18A.
SstickDMH is offline Find More Posts by SstickDMH
Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
364 Posts
thanks for the info-i don't need nor probably want a seriouslt climber as it's a lightly built HL. I'm new to electrics so specific gear suggestions helps a lot. I'm thinking an outrunner would be the most efficient in weight. The fuse is oblong in cross section so wires would probably pass.
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
I personally would not electrify this classic old bird.
But if you do I would recommend a direct drive speed 400 size brushless.
You don't have to worry about a gearbox or where the wires are going to go or whether they will fit. A Mega 16/15/6-7 or 8 would do the trick nicely with several very small lipo packs bundled together.

Again I would NOT electrify a CR Climaxx much the same way I would not make a Ferrari into a 4 wheel drive monster truck.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
pigs will fly!!
Joined Jan 2007
276 Posts
Hi guys

Belouder it would be nice if you could post a fotograph of the model, I personally have no idea what it looks like, and without looking at your fuse its going to be hard to figure out the best way to convert it to electric.

weight ?
width or diameter of the fuse ?
Wingspan 60"
wing area ?

I did not think there is a lot of space inside a DLG fuse.

Regards

Joe Rubido
jrturbo is offline Find More Posts by jrturbo