SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:17 AM
two rivers, wi
Joined Jul 2007
120 Posts
Idea
Hb Cp2 Tools For Main Rotor Gear

I use copper wire for a shear pin on the drive gear. When you crash, it breaks. This minimizes bent shafts and is less drain on your ESC. I made a handle for the allen wrench to make it easier to handle (especially for replacing blade clamps). After a few (or many) crashes, the shaft may be deformed and hard to slide through the bearings. I made a tool for tapping gear off the shaft (hole down the middle is out of view), and a set of bars for pressing the gear back in place.
cheez is offline Find More Posts by cheez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:41 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
I found where i had problems was where the collar clamps to the shaft and the top jesus pin hole got messed up a few times also. I usualy sand the shaft a little around those places when i put it back together (if the shaft isnt bent)
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
two rivers, wi
Joined Jul 2007
120 Posts
use an electric drill

When the hole gets distorted, I chuck it up in a lathe. An electric drill with sandpaper works, too. Usually, it's the copper pin on the main gear that shears, the set screw on the collar distorts the shaft, and the hole for the main gear shear pin distorts. The center hub pin hole distorts also, but the pin usually stays inact. I usually only have to remove it if I need to starighten the shaft. Since I've been using copper shear pins, I haven't bent the shaft. I have a HB FP on the way, so hopefully I'll be crashing less (or at least doing less damage).
Last edited by cheez; Jul 18, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:22 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Yeah i think it works like a lawnmower shear pin. It takes some of the load when the blads stop quickly from an impact.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
two rivers, wi
Joined Jul 2007
120 Posts
I need to try making something for the tail rotor. Either a shear pin or a friction clutch. It would save the motor more than anything.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:32 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
I need to try making something for the tail rotor. Either a shear pin or a friction clutch. It would save the motor more than anything.
There is already a break away system designed for that. The rotor pushes into the rear gear with those 2 little pins and the tubing is like a shock. When the tail rotor hits somthing it pops the pins out of the gear and it pushes the tubing away then the gear just spins.

After a while the pins get warn down or the rotor chips and gets out of balance then its time for a new rotor.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 AM
two rivers, wi
Joined Jul 2007
120 Posts
Part of the breakaway system is the motor