HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Question
How Do You Do A Range Check When You Fly By Yourself?

My wife helped me range check my new RTF when I brought it home but she doesn't go with me when I fly. I do check my control surfaces, but I can't range check it by myself.

How do you?
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:53 PM
Let's ride!
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Aug 2000
194 Posts
You can put a post it note at the end of the rudder so when you walk away from it, you can see if it's responding.
Jessdog is offline Find More Posts by Jessdog
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:02 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2007
7 Posts
Used to use a clothes pin made of popsicle sticks painted a bright color. Just slide onto a control surface.

--------------
---- Sandwich of two sticks and small piece
--------------
lampooner is offline Find More Posts by lampooner
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
... I can't range check it by myself.

How do you?

Heh. No joke, my range check method is a strip of toilet paper hung in the window (window closed). I live on the second floor with the window facing up the street, so i just tie the plane in position so the propwash blows the TP up. Then walk up the street with the Tx, blipping the throttle while watching the TP.

IF there were ever a TP deflection without blipping the throttle, that would be cause for alarm but so far that hasn't happened.

oc88(Bill)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,768 Posts
If it's got landing gear then just set the plane on the ground. Put a piece of rope around the tail and stick like a screwdriver or something into the ground and tie the rope to it. Then you can walk away from the plane and power it up and down while moving the control surfaces.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
I leave the transmitter, pick up the plane and go for a walk. I wait to hear the servos start to grunt and twitch or the motor spins. I would rather have full hands on control of the plane since I've had them come to life in a big way when the Tx/Rx loses the link.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
Maybe Out Flying
Joined Oct 2005
162 Posts
I turn on the TX, put the battery in the plane, leave the TX antenna down, start the prop at a low speed, put the TX on the ground, hold the plane in the air and walk away from the TX about 33 steps or 100 feet. I listen for any servo noise or motor speed changes.
That appears to work for me.

Wrench_Head
Wrench_Head is offline Find More Posts by Wrench_Head
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,800 Posts
tape post it notes on the blades and slowly start it up.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,085 Posts
Get it up real high and collapse the transmitter antenna. Now, there's a range check.

No, just kidding. Don't do that. However, I have forgotten to extend the antenna and flown a whole flight like that.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jan 17, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
Yes Doc. I too have flown an entire flight with the antenna colapsed. It was an incredibly short flight

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,563 Posts
I have a Berg4 and Futaba 4 channel conquest, when I pull the antenna on TX and then hook up battery, sometimes the berg doesnt boot correctly and servos hang up in deflected position. Tonight, I saw it do that again, so I purposely made sure neither RX or TX antennae were touching ground.

Is this normal for ground to prevent signal recognition? It boots fine if neither touches ground.

Normal range check with helper goes out to about 100 feet.

Harry
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:21 AM
The Hobby Guy
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts
I put the plane on the ground, walk a hundred feet away, move the sticks and the RUN VERY FAST back to the plane to see if anything moved. Only problem is, none of my radios work with this method. LOL! Just kidding - the other suggestions here are much better.
TheHobbyGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheHobbyGuy
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:31 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels
I have a Berg4 and Futaba 4 channel conquest, when I pull the antenna on TX and then hook up battery, sometimes the berg doesnt boot correctly and servos hang up in deflected position. Tonight, I saw it do that again, so I purposely made sure neither RX or TX antennae were touching ground.

Is this normal for ground to prevent signal recognition? It boots fine if neither touches ground.

Normal range check with helper goes out to about 100 feet.

Harry
Yes this is normal - ideally the aircraft (receiver) should be above the ground. Castle addresses this in their user guides on their web site.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
I'm just checking in to let you guys know I've been reading your posts. All of these suggestions/methods sound great and have given me some ideas to try.

Please keep the suggestions (and jokes) coming...

Thanks.

-Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
What,........ya'all aint never heard'a binoculars?
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk