HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chino Tom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:14 AM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Discussion
Small airforce

Just a few notes about my small Alfa airforce. The replacement Spit is still in the box and will be for a few more week. The Martlet (Wildcat) is a delightful flyer. I'm very pleased with the speed 300/gearbox combo will a 2 cell 1320 lipo batterey and gives plenty of power for scale like performance. A couple of issues I've had with the Martlet include the hatch poping open at the rear as the small dowel that holds it in place moves past and above the fuselage.
The problem it seems was I added multiple cooling holes to the cowling in between the molded engine cylinders and this was pressurizing the inside of the fuselage. With no where for the air to go, it was pushing the hatch open at the rear. I added two exit holes approx 3/8" dia to the lower fuselage at the wing trailing edge and this seemed to solve the problem. I also increased the aileron throw for a not so scale like but crisper roll. The 35% expo on the ailerons and elevators remains unchanged. Really a nice flyer.

The Wurgers first flight was this past weekend and I was suprised (shouldn't have been) at how effective the ailerons were. In Eric Browns book "Wings of the Luftwaffe" he comments on how effective and powerful the ailerons are at all speeds up to 400 mph. He noted that the FW rolled significantly faster the the Spitfire or the ME-109. Even though my Alfa experience is limited, this FW-190's ailerons are much more effective than the Spits and Martlets. Smaller control movements are required to fly the FW-190 smoothly (or I could add more expo!). I'm looking forward to more Wurger flights. The performance from the Blue MP is great.

I really like these Alfas. Researching the markings and the planes gets me to bring back out and read books on WW2 aircraft that I have been collecting for 30+ years. The hard part is deciding what might be next!
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom
Last edited by Chino Tom; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,638 Posts
Tom, My Wildcat also had issues with the rear portion of the hatch coming up in flight. I solved the issue with a rare earth magent--they can be purchased at Radio Shack for about 2 bucks for 2. If you recess the magnet into the wing then glue a washer on the hatch...of course be sure to use foam safe CA. You should only need one on one side or the other. Be careful, those magnets can be strong. Which is why I only use one. You could run risk of damaging the hatch--while trying to remove it. Hope this helps.

Also for your next Alfa, I'd consider the Hayate or the Corsair.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:23 PM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Thanks Dora, I will try that magnet trick. I also notice that the hatch shell is try to split on the seam because I have to squeeze the hatch to get it inside the wing fairings. As far as what's next? Probably the Corsair although the Beaufighter looks so cool!

Tom
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:31 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,638 Posts
Maybe a little 30 min epoxy on the inside? Just guessing...mine (so far) isn't doing that. I say 30 because you can apply a much thinner layer...and so it'll soak in better than say 5 min epoxy. You can apply the epoxy with an old paint brush.

The Beaufighter is pretty cool--I must admit, but to me the extra cost of the twin makes me cringe a little. Although you could keep the cost down by powering it by a couple Esskays. I like Electrifly ESC's...which are a good deal for 40 bucks.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine