HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Discussion
Organ donation - switch from opt-in to opt-out

Lots of publicity today on calls to make the organ donation system a case of people opting out of their organs being available for donation in the event of their death, rather than the current scheme of opting to donate and carrying a card indicating that.

It's said that is the only way to hope of even getting close to meeting demand for donor organs to extend the lives of seriously ill people on the transplant lists.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of either scheme and do you think that the default position should be that your body parts are there to be harvested when you die, unless you specify otherwise?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Hmm... Interesting topic. On one hand I see no reason why one shouldn't donate their organs if there is even a small chance it could help/save someone else out there. But on the other hand, some people may just not want such for their bodies after death, and who has a right to override or force someone into something they don't believe in or like?

Of course this sort of change is probably based on the ignorance of the people in general and they are hoping that most don't pay attention and opt out, thus increasing the pool of available organs and such. It defalts preference to the state, and I don't agree with that... all things should default to the individual.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I think that the future will employ some sort of cloning of ones self for needed organs.
This option will be for the wealthy at first and then will float down at some cost to the working class.
I could be wrong but If I could place a wager that would reach that far into the future
I'm sure it would win.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:45 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Opt In only. You and your heirs have sovereignty over your body. Opt out says that the Government owns your body and can take unless you follow it's rules.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:50 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
..... the Government owns your body and can take unless you follow it's rules.
Isn't that what the death-penalty in essence is?
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
No.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
No.
Very pithy Arbo.

How is the death penalty not the ultimate government control over a persons body?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Very pithy Arbo.
I know it wasn't a 'nuanced' answer, but sometimes answers are just that straightforward.

Quote:
How is the death penalty not the ultimate government control over a persons body?
You are trying to turn oranges into apples. Two different things entirely. Keep at it if you must soapbox some agenda. I'll pay no further attention to your attempted thread takeover.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:16 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
I know it wasn't a 'nuanced' answer, but sometimes answers are just that straightforward.

You are trying to turn oranges into apples. Two different things entirely. Keep at it if you must soapbox some agenda. I'll pay no further attention to your attempted thread takeover.
Please feel free. I would be interested in what you had to say on the subject, if it was more than your usual one word/one liner, which generally contribute nothing.

The government having dibs on your organs after death is very akin to the death penalty, in that the death penalty is the ultimate government control over a persons body. It's actually quite a common libertarian position to be opposed to the death penalty on these grounds. The family should have the last word in what happens to a persons organs after death, not the government.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:10 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Yes, if the Government declared that it could kill every person when it so choose, then it would be the same.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:16 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quite a different matter indeed. Your analogy is like saying the fish has to keep the hook in it's mouth when we all know he can spit it out before he clamps down on the worm.

As a matter of fact, the government DOESN'T have the right to distribute your organs if you are executed. The executed's body is delivered to the next of kin (if they want it) The only thing the government takes is your life;-)

Quote:
Please feel free. I would be interested in what you had to say on the subject, if it was more than your usual one word/one liner, which generally contribute nothing.

The government having dibs on your organs after death is very akin to the death penalty, in that the death penalty is the ultimate government control over a persons body. It's actually quite a common libertarian position to be opposed to the death penalty on these grounds. The family should have the last word in what happens to a persons organs after death, not the government.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Quite a different matter indeed. Your analogy is like saying the fish has to keep the hook in it's mouth when we all know he can spit it out before he clamps down on the worm.

As a matter of fact, the government DOESN'T have the right to distribute your organs if you are executed. The executed's body is delivered to the next of kin (if they want it) The only thing the government takes is your life;-)
I still think that there are similarities between a government being allowed to harvest the organs of the dead, and the death-penalty itself.

Both are the government having control over a persons body, the only difference being in one case that body is alive, and in the other it is dead.

All this being said, perhaps this is indeed somewhat off-topic for this thread, at least in so far as it is not directly related to the UK organ donor issue Leccy raised, even more so when you consider that the UK does not have the death penalty.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
I recently renewed my Driver's License here in Az. I decided to "opt in" on the organ donation thing. A few weeks passed and I get a form letter in the mail from the organ donation folks wanting to know everything about me including SS# and mother's maiden name, birthdates etc. It said I needed to return the form with all the data to be included in the organ donation program "promising" to keep all my data private. I guess by running the form thru the shredder, I opted out.
DangerBird is online now Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:07 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
I recently renewed my Driver's License here in Az. I decided to "opt in" on the organ donation thing. A few weeks passed and I get a form letter in the mail from the organ donation folks wanting to know everything about me including SS# and mother's maiden name, birthdates etc. It said I needed to return the form with all the data to be included in the organ donation program "promising" to keep all my data private. I guess by running the form thru the shredder, I opted out. - Dangerbird
Sounds like a scam, I would have shredded it too. SS# and mother's maiden name are much to powerful to be throwing them around.

FWIW, I never got any type of follow up for opting in, and have been "in" for a couple decades at least. Of course I don't live in AZ.

I think there should be some aspect of this that could be applied. Maybe not a default donation law, however, a lot of the younger folks either don't believe they are going to die, or think the subject to gruesome to think about, or fear they may have their deaths hastened by becoming donators. I think the best solution would be an ad campaign to make people more aware of what actually happens, and why it is so important. I rarely hear about it, except every four years when I am asked the question when renewing the driver's license. Asked on the form to check a box, that is.

It is interesting, many feel it is wrong to donate organs, on religious grounds. My mother felt that way, however she donated blood very often, gallons of the stuff. Not all at once of course.

Donating blood is something else that is problematic of late. My wife can no longer donate because she lived in Europe during the late seventies, something to do with mad cow disease, I believe, and I cannot donate because I had a transfusion. Many who would donate blood are screened out, leaving the pool smaller.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop