HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
Discussion
New EasyStar Cam Setup Pictures

I just wanted to post my EZ* cam setup. I put a 1watt tx on the right side under the wing, a pentax optio a10 under the left wing, and a micro video cam on the nose. Everything balances out perfectly at 78mm from LE.

I'll post some video and stills maybe later tonight after I fly it.
IamLegend is offline Find More Posts by IamLegend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:31 PM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
Looks pretty neat. Did you have to add anything by the side camera location to keep the fuse from breaking under load?
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspark
Looks pretty neat. Did you have to add anything by the side camera location to keep the fuse from breaking under load?
No, I didn't add any support or anything... This plane is purely a camera plane so I don't do any dives and hard maneuvers with it... I just fly it nice and level except for climb-outs, which are still somewhat tame.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
Curious - I've always arranged the 2.4G video TX antenna vertical - am I doing something wrong?

Nice layout, you've managed to get alot of the weight right on the CoG, less polar momentum - Colin Chapman would have been proud of you.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Curious - I've always arranged the 2.4G video TX antenna vertical - am I doing something wrong?
When you say vertical, do you mean straight up or straight down?

My last EastStar I had the antenna pointed straight up through the canopy. It worked ok but it made the EasyStar more nose heavy.

I've heard that if you point it straight down, the way radio frequencies work, is not the best way to do it. And to add to "what I've heard", is to put the antenna horizontal to the ground.

But all in all, i've installed the tx both ways and I really don't see either way being better.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:34 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
You've made me curious, I'll have to do some field tests now.....

Adam
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
Ginger, let me know how your field tests turn out...

---------------

I'm so bummed. I went out last night to test fly the EZ with the new video mount setup and I couldn't get the camera to work. It appears that I used different screws to mount the camera to the bracket which were too long and touched the circuit board. I found this out later when I puled the camera apart and took a look inside.

I plugged the camera back in without the screws and now I just get an all white video signal.

So I ordered a KX151 from rangevideo which has a higher resolution (480 lines) and I should have it before this weekend. I'll post some vids once I get it going again...

For now, I'm going to test my optio A10 for stills with the EZ and I'll post some of them.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli82
When you say vertical, do you mean straight up or straight down?

My last EastStar I had the antenna pointed straight up through the canopy. It worked ok but it made the EasyStar more nose heavy.

I've heard that if you point it straight down, the way radio frequencies work, is not the best way to do it. And to add to "what I've heard", is to put the antenna horizontal to the ground.

But all in all, i've installed the tx both ways and I really don't see either way being better.

Ugh... Trying to remember radio theory from when I was still in training.. Ow
Seems to me, if the antenna is pointed straight down, you might be putting yourself in the 'cone of silence...' Depending on the pattern the RF takes out of the antenna. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can speak up...
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
Ginger Adam,

I did some test flying last night and my plane seems to take off kind of wobbly with the 36oz weight. How much does yours weigh and how does it fly?

Can you post a picture of your AP EZ setup?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
You want the aerial perpendicular to the line between you and the plane so as much of the aerial faces the receiver antenna as possible. Parallel to the fuselage is usually good

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
Mine weighs 676g (about 24oz in old money) with the Nikon7900 onboard.

I also have two more powerful setups which weigh 740g (26oz). The lighter one is definitely a more pleasant flyer, but is useless on windy days.

I'll post a pic when I can find it,

Adam
ps I asked my uncle (who used to do UAV RF for a living) about 2.4G antenna and he said "should be predominently omni-directional in all azimuth directions, with vertical polarisation (and a null overhead, a typical doughnut)." - he was talking about it being mounted vertically, pointing skywards. Anyone know what that means ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli82
Ginger Adam,

I did some test flying last night and my plane seems to take off kind of wobbly with the 36oz weight. How much does yours weigh and how does it fly?

Can you post a picture of your AP EZ setup?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:59 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,365 Posts
Nice looking set up Adam!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Mine weighs 676g (about 24oz in old money) with the Nikon7900 onboard.

I also have two more powerful setups which weigh 740g (26oz). The lighter one is definitely a more pleasant flyer, but is useless on windy days.

I'll post a pic when I can find it,

Adam
ps I asked my uncle (who used to do UAV RF for a living) about 2.4G antenna and he said "should be predominently omni-directional in all azimuth directions, with vertical polarisation (and a null overhead, a typical doughnut)." - he was talking about it being mounted vertically, pointing skywards. Anyone know what that means ?
Point your finger at the ceiling. Stick a doughnut (the food kind) on that finger. The shape of the doughnut is the antenna signal. So if you point your finger now at a wall or your TV with the doughnut, you will see that the antenna signal is now pointing at the ground and up, but not front/back... Make sense?
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster