HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:28 AM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Help!
first 3D plane for an e-flite 480 motor?

Hi,
I've been flying since 2002 but mainly sports planes, slow flyers and wings. but I never actually flew 3D. I wanna give it a shot, since almost all of my friends have better skills than me, and they only been flying for alittle more than a year!
I have an e-flite speed 480 outrunner, I believe it's rated at 26amps for arplanes 16-25oz..

I would like to fly a small Foam (preferaly) airplane that could have 2-1 power to weight ratio.

I was looking at the Great Planes YAK 55 3D EP ARF. It seams perfect but I wanna know from the experts...

thanx.. Vic..
yak 55
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:23 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
If you've been flying sport and working up--i would look at the new eflite extra 260 made for the 480. Tone the throws down to fly like a sport plane and as you get comfortable with her open up the throws.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
In the same situation. Trying to modify the Formosa which I really like as a sport pattern plane. Turned one into a mid wing with large depron surfaces. Has been working really well but heavy due to lots of repairs. Building another to get the weight down. Will need SFG's to aid in low speed KE - high speed is just fine.

Still trying to figure how to hover. Not easy at all. Most other stunts that have some forward flight just need thumb time. Really enjoying doing wacky stuff. Problem is not knowing how I got there to repeat :-) Stiring the pot.

I bought a bunch of the SG versions so working through these.

The hobby lobby Zoom, and the MSComposit Blade/Boom or something like that are EPP planes that are supposed to take alot of abuse without breaking. There are of course many other options.

All are in the same weight and power class as you want. Kits run from $50 to 100.

I also have a Charger RC which I am repairing. Problem is flex which is being addressed with floss rigging, and wind - not so easily dealt with. My area always has some wind blowing and flat foamies just don't penetrate well. Will use these when we go indoors.

I am going to keep trying the mod Formosa route until my stock of kits is used up. I will either get it figured out or just fly it as a sport pattern plane which it does surprisingly well. Next version is going to look alot like the Eflite Tribute.

The foam used in this GWS kits is very easy to repair (side breaks). Not so much if crushed ie nose plant. I do use CF to stiffen the frame and it is very resilient.

If it doesn't work, I will look at an EPP plane. I expect alot of ground contact. Balsa will not tolerate any abuse. I have spent 10yrs building/repairing balsa RC and don't want to do it anymore. Depron isn't much better but an easy material to work with and replace.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
mysticplayer is offline Find More Posts by mysticplayer
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
Warbird Junkie
Joined Jan 2007
293 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE YAK 55!!!

I agree, go with the new Extra 260 from E-Flite. It's awesome. You could try their Tribute FX 3D if you wanted something foam.
woody429924 is offline Find More Posts by woody429924
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:25 PM
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Yes I will like to stay with foam, but the extra 260 seems pretty tiny for an e-flite 480 specially at flying weight of 8-10oz...

My buddy has the E-flite Tribute Fx 3D ARF flying with a e-flite 370 outrunner and it flyes pretty ok. Although it breaks like an egg shell with very little inpact.....

I have enough experience not to crash everytime I fly but I tend to get a little crazy from time to time. So I was woundering if there was an EPP mono or biplane that will take a little more abuse?

Thanx guys....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
Not the foam one, the new balsa one.
Here is a thread on it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711056
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
that's beautiful,..........but I don't think that would be 3D beginer airplane
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
For a first 3D plane, I wouldn't restrict your options to equipment you already have.

I can't think of a large foam plane for the 480.

I would recommend you build or buy a flat plate foamie. They are the easiest to 3D (hover) and are cheap. The power systems are small and relatively cheap as well. Stay away from the Great Planes Flatouts.
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:17 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
The ParkZone Typhoon is a great little foam 3D and it rocks pretty good on the 480 too.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:06 AM
Joined Aug 2004
83 Posts
Don't knock the GP Yak, for $31 it is an awesome plane and I highly recommend it as a first 3D plane. I had mine for over 2 years probably hundreds of flights and it took a severe beating and many crashes just fine, it is primarily EPP foam. It had a very nice glide as it has a decent airfoil unlike most foamies. I finally retired it and converted it into a glider for my son (still going!!) Not to mention that it will hover and go vertical with the included brushed motor on a 3 cell lipo!! With the 480 that thing would be ballistic.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJCC2&P=ML
gear_head is offline Find More Posts by gear_head
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:53 AM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Sep 2006
363 Posts
if you want something that flies extremely stable upright or inverted with floating capabilities, look at the fliton inspire mini (white limited edition). mine is unbelievably predictable, comes together fast and very stable for its size. if youve flown since 2002, than you will get this thing down low in no time.
Fly2Low is offline Find More Posts by Fly2Low
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:57 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
The Zoom/Sniper will get you 3D'ing in a hurry. Your Park 480 will be a little much for it. I do not know of any good 3D'ing foam planes in that size.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1990
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:55 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
Take a look at the AirfoilZ " The Bipe" http://airfoilz.com/thebipe/index.html
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:17 PM
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Thanx for all the suggestions guys........

Vic..
Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:36 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,827 Posts
Vic,
Do try the AirfoilZ bipe or any of their planes. My well worn Yak has 103 flights on it now with only one minor mishap, pilot error... They are good planes, easy to assemble and fly like they are much larger.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn