SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:22 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
miserable canopy tinting failure

Still working on my mini-flash, taking my time a hour here a hour there. You guys who finish these planes in four hours must never let your hands stop. I'm on the covering now and after 20 years it's slow go. The tips on the forum have been most helpful.

I read on a post about tinting canopys with Rit dye. I bought some at the grocery store and gave it a try. It's nasty! The dye is splotchy, it's not uniform. I went to Rit's web site and found out how to tint plastic but it didn't turn out well. If you're going to try this you may want to test it first.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:45 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
ooo sorry to hear that. Doug is a great guy and I know on the ordering page you can order a switchback replacement canopy, ask him if he'll send you a mini-flash one. I see no reason why he couldnt. Good luck!

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Nov 11, 2002, 01:48 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Try pickling the canopy in vinegar before you dye it. That will/should etch the plastic and make the dye bite better.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:17 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Mike,

Have you tried the pickling? How long do you leave it in the vinegar? Does it discolor the plastic?

thanks,

Grant
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:03 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Grant,
Did you clean the canopy before attempting to tint? Warm water and dish washing detergent, or some have used rubbing alcohol.

You have to get the mold release agent off the plastic. Of course, there are some plastics that just won't take the dye.
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:30 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,022 Posts
I use flat black paint to tint canopies. For a nice effect you can first spray the canopy lightly with metalic silver followed by the flat black. Because you paint the inside, you still have a nice glossy outside.
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:34 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
A long time ago I tinted an Electric Glider's canopy with Rit. Used black and then flourescent yellow (or vice versa) to give it that F-16 like gold tint. It came perfect and don't remember it being difficult. I think I remember washing it well first...
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:39 AM
Kenosha, WI
Joined Aug 2002
22 Posts
Easy Canopy Tinting

Scale modelers often add food color dye to Future acrylic floor polish and dip their canopies in it.

If you don't like the result, just rinse with ammonia & water.

I hear that you you can also airbrush this mixture. Just be sure you thorughly flush everything with ammonia & water afterwards.

And as others have said, wash with dishsoap first.

Musky
FlyingMusky is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMusky
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:42 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
I've tinted quite a few canopies and have yet to experience the problem you describe. I will say this though, if the canopy is resting on the bottom of the pan that is on the stove it will discolor. Also, the dye just needs to be warm, you should still be able to put your finger in it w/o hurting too bad.

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Nov 11, 2002, 05:17 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Clean the canopy?!#@ Nobody mentioned this first. No I didn't clean it Dennis. Is that the difference?

I was careful with the heat, I didn't want to get it too hot for fear of warping the plastic. It was about 125 degrees.

So many I should try to clean it and it retry. What's the best method to remove the dye?

thanks,
Grant
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:03 PM
OH
Joined Jan 2002
81 Posts
Grant,

How long did you dip the canopy? I recently dyed a Switchback canopy with Rit dye and while I did not time it, I would guess it took a good 1.5 - 2 hrs. This was much longer than I was expecting. In my case though, the darkness was the issue, not the consistency. I did end up with a couple of dark spots where there were scratches, but otherwise OK. I did not clean mine first - beginners luck I guess
Runyond is offline Find More Posts by Runyond
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:08 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Grant,
I doubt that the dye is removable. This stuff is fairly permanent. You might try using a good quality buffing compound (available in auto shops that sell auto body repair stuff.)

As a side note, buffing compound will remove most scratches from plastic canopies too. (As long as they're not too deep.)
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:52 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Wow! 1.5 hours... I only had mine in for about 15 minutes. It was dark enough and the splotching just got worse so I took it out. I had blue dye on my hands for the first hour or so but now it seems to be on there pretty good.

It might be easier to get another canopy or I could just leave it.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:58 PM
OH
Joined Jan 2002
81 Posts
Grant,

After reading your last comment and thinking about this a little more I remembered a couple of facts that might be relevant. I used the dye after my wife had used it to dye some denim. It was diluted for this and also had some salt added. Did you use the dye full strength? I believe the solution I used was somewhat less than half strength. This obviously will not help your current canopy, but maybe of some use in the future. As far as a cure for the blue hands, some time ago I bought a box of latex gloves at the local pharmacy - these have saved my hands from nasty stuff quite a few times. Hope this helps.

Denny
Runyond is offline Find More Posts by Runyond