HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2007, 09:24 PM
Eatonton Ga. United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Discussion
Well, looks like I'm out of the heli biz awhile

I was out trying to get my HH gyro dialed in a little better this afternoon and disaster struck. I had hovered a bit and just landed the heli. I decided to reinitalize the gyro so I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. I didn't hear the familiar beeps of the ESC arming. This struck me as weird and I should have stopped there but unfortunately I didn't.
I got back standing behind the heli and advanced the throttle and was greeted with a large poof of smoke coming from the motor
area. I got down a unplugged the battery as fast as I could.
When I got back in the house I checked out the battery, my only good luck is that it's apparently ok. The motor is toast but I didn't get off that easy. MY CC Phoenix 35 took damage too. The shrink wrap is melted in places. I completely disconnected it from everything and tried plugging another battery in very quickly. The battery got warm. Interestingly enough, I can hook up to my castle link and read and write settings to the controller.
I couldn't of afforded to replace a motor right now, much less the ESC as well. I guess I'll send the ESC to Castle and see what they say. Looks like I'm grounded for awhile though.
Sky_Dancer is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Dancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:10 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
Hang in there!
Being a low-income teen, I know what it's like being grounded for somewhat dumb reasons. I had a tail servo and an ESC that put me out for a month or so, and busted my flybar cage (duh. trying to fix it ) which put me out for a while.
In the mean time, fly a sim if you have one, and to keep motivated, get on RCG like normal.
Castle should do something for you, whether it be a new one for free, or a new one for half price.
As for a motor, a justgofly.com motor should do awesome for a bargain. Most popular seem to be the 450TH, the 500TH, and the 500F. I don't have one, so you'll have to ask somebody else what's best for you.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The motor should be rewindable... head on up to the motors forum and see what they have to say about it.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:54 AM
crash. rebuild. repeat
Fairfield CA, USA
Joined Mar 2005
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermlin'
Hang in there!
Being a low-income teen, I know what it's like being grounded for somewhat dumb reasons. I had a tail servo and an ESC that put me out for a month or so, and busted my flybar cage (duh. trying to fix it ) which put me out for a while.
In the mean time, fly a sim if you have one, and to keep motivated, get on RCG like normal.
Castle should do something for you, whether it be a new one for free, or a new one for half price.
As for a motor, a justgofly.com motor should do awesome for a bargain. Most popular seem to be the 450TH, the 500TH, and the 500F. I don't have one, so you'll have to ask somebody else what's best for you.
Castle will fix if for $25 (last time I checked).
heli_newbie is offline Find More Posts by heli_newbie
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:04 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
Some of the guys here have 430L motors layin' around... and maybe even some Align 35A ESC's... I bet if you posted over in the wanted section, you could find a good deal on them.
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Scale Nut!!
Keizer, OR
Joined Feb 2004
625 Posts
Hurleybt has a good point!!! Don't be discouraged buddy!!! We take care of our own ya know!!!

Flynz
flynz4me is offline Find More Posts by flynz4me
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Yes we do Let me dig around SD, I think I have what you need so I'll PM you if I am correct.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Guys you don't have to do something like that.
I'm wondering what might have caused this. I know it was the motor going that took out the ESC but I'm not exactly sure why the motor cooked. I wonder if it could have been age? The motor was an Align 2100L that a friend sold me real cheap to help get me started out. I know that's an older motor. Maybe something in my throttle curve? I wasn't running governor mode on the Phoenix 35 because I don't have a tach to set it up. I'm like 99% positive that my belt and gear mesh were not too tight. When I do buy some replacement stuff, I don't want it to happen again.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
As you mentioned the motor was older and you suspect it was the cause... your first "suspect" part is very likely the cause.

Now is your chance to drop in a JGF
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
Sky_Dancer I can feel your pain big time. I was out flying my TRex 450SE V2 yesterday and a huge gust of wind caught it and I have not seen hide nor hair of it. I think it went off toward some 100 feet of underbrush and forrest and I have now looked for about six hours total and it is gone till winter time removes the leaves and then I will look again. Big sigh... Bye bye $750...

Carl
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
I'm darned near positive the motor going is what took the speed control. The large puff of smoke came from the motor first. It wasn't till I got my poor baby back in the house that I realized the ESC had taken a hit. There never was any smoke from it but it got hot enough to melt some shrink wrap and goo up the servo tape that was holding it. I got lucky I didn't lose my battery.
My thought about the motor is possible breakdown of insulation in the coil windings because of age. I do need to review my throttle curve though. I set it up on advice from a friend and I think it's kind of different from the ones I've seen recomended. Might have been ok for a hotter motor but not for this one.
I have found a good deal on a new ESC (see my heads up thread) I might swing it by putting off plans to upgrade my tail servo from the HS-55. I would still be without a motor though.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:58 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster47
Sky_Dancer I can feel your pain big time. I was out flying my TRex 450SE V2 yesterday and a huge gust of wind caught it and I have not seen hide nor hair of it. I think it went off toward some 100 feet of underbrush and forrest and I have now looked for about six hours total and it is gone till winter time removes the leaves and then I will look again. Big sigh... Bye bye $750...

Carl
This may sound like an off the wall suggestion but do you have any friends with metal detectors? It may be under some piles of brush and you can't see it. I've heard of plane engines being found that way in densely wooded areas. I'd also scan any trees with binoculars.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
Flying better than every
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined May 2007
569 Posts
750$ is 2weeks paycheck for me.

You better put in some 80hours looking before you give up.

6 hours after taxes is only 54$ woth of heli.

you found a lipo now KEEP LOOKING
Ginvent is offline Find More Posts by Ginvent
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Scale Nut!!
Keizer, OR
Joined Feb 2004
625 Posts
Yeah I would have to agree. Find the heli. Probably smacked into something not too far away, unless it was climbing at the time . Hope you find it, or send me your address and I'll come look for it .

Flynz
flynz4me is offline Find More Posts by flynz4me
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Well, I solved the ESC problem, I'll still have my crappy old tail servo though because I was going to upgrade it with the money I used. It's 30.00 and a 3 week lead time to have a Phoenix 35 repaired at Castle. If you figure paying to ship the ESC to Castle and check out the price at Bishop Power Products right now, paying the difference is worth the 3 week wait to me.
Anyone got a working old motor they are looking to part with for a song?