SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:58 AM
Joined Aug 2005
19 Posts
Discussion
Newbie's First Flight (Attempt) with Graupner Terry

Well today, 2 years after having bought my first RC plane the 'Graupner Terry' I finally got out to attempt my first flights. The reason it's taken me so long is because the Terry is my first plane and it happens to be from a German manufacturer which has meant that some of the components have had to be specially ordered. My local stockists have been worse than useless. When I showed them the Graupner 7 cell Ni-Cd battery with a MG-6 connector they just shrugged at me. I've had to track down charging wires from America, and other bits and pieces from all over.

Now of course I ignored the advice that everyone gives which is to find someone who knows how to fly already and learn from them. It's my independent nature that wants me to learn from my own mistakes I suppose.

Well the first 'flight' lasted about 1 second. A nosedive straight into the ground. One of the pushrods came out of the servo which was quickly fixed but the prop came loose from the motor spindle. Being new to this hobby I hadn't brought a complete toolkit with me which meant this session was over after 5 mins!

I retired home where I quickly re-attached the prop and set back off for a nearer field with long soft grass for a safe landing (or so I thought).

I launched into the slightest of breezes but again the plane only got a few metres before ditching into the grass. I decided to give it more elevator on the next launch but the result was much the same only this time the wing was slightly damaged calling a halt to the proceedings. There are two metal inserts in the wing which are used to re-inforce the nylon nut that attaches the wing to the body. One of these had compressed the wing behind it making it lose and consequently the wing didn't lie perpendicular to the body.

So now I have a few repairs to do. I'm going to try to fill the small gap in the wing with UHU superglue to see if that works first.

Could anyone tell me if I can buy Terry replacement parts from anywhere online? Hobby-Lobby used to do them but do not any longer.....

As for what I'm doing wrong at launch, I first thought that perhaps there wasn't enough elevator deflection, but after checking against the plan it seems spot on.

I just read the excellent review here from an expert:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183646

where it states that:

Quote:
The only item I would make clarification on is the hand launch. The Terry fits your hand well, and is easy to grip. It’s light enough for a standing throw and well behaved once it’s on its way. But, I was a little surprised on the first couple of launches by a tendency to nose towards the ground after leaving my hand........ But if you just casually launch a plane configured this way at full throttle, it could pitch downward a bit until flight speed is accomplished.
Also:

Quote:
The 7 and 8 cell packs moved the CG forward, and there is no way to avoid this totally...... but in the stock configuration the Terry gets a little nose heavy with more than 6 cells.
Wish I'd read this before this afternoon! I'm using a 7 cell pack. Now I know to try a more upwards launch and perhaps even launch at the top of a slight slope.

Cheers,
Kudos
dracul is offline Find More Posts by dracul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
I cut a piece out of the bottom of the balsa former in mine, so the battery would have room to slide under. That helped get the CG back a little bit. I flew it on both 6 and 7 cells, and 7 didn't really seem like much of an improvement (although the motor got hotter!).

The wing/body attachment with the nylon bolts is really fragile. I know the nylon bolts are supposed to break to save the wing, but unfortunately they are stronger than the surrounding foam so they just pull the blind nuts loose on any less-than-perfect landing. I finally got fed up and ran two bamboo skewers through the fuselage and use rubber bands to hold the wing on. It doesn't look as nice, but no more damage.

It sounds nose-heavy to me... you could try a LEVEL power-off throw, too, just to see if your thrust angle might be too far down. If it glides to a smooth descent unpowered, but pulls itself toward the ground when powered, that would be something to look for. I'd continue to do it over the long grass, as opposed to throwing off a hill or something higher, until you get the CG/thrust angle issue sorted out.

Once you get it flying, take it UP HIGH! Don't be afraid, it's safer up there. Read aeajr's posts in the beginners forum, they helped me out immensely. Find a larger open area than you think you need, with NO TREES! STAY AWAY FROM TREES!

I started with a Terry and flew by myself the first few times... I was reasonably successful (although my 3 replacement props, replacement fuselage, and replacement wing may beg to differ - see the previous TREES comment!). I hung it up after 8 months or so as I moved on to 4ch and faster and more aerobatic planes, but I have come back to it about a year later and have the wing glassed and covered and the fuselage glassed and waiting for covering. I'm adding the reinforcement because I have LS Parkjet motor that will power it up above 80mph! Possible maiden this weekend... can't wait!
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:47 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
The Terry has been around for a long time, so I guess you would have to be lucky to get hold of spare parts.

To avoid pitch down at launch, I suggest you try launching at half power and then throttel up slowly. It would be best if you had a helper to launch the model. And put in 3 or 4 clicks of up trim for the launch. You just need to buy time to 'catch' it.

I have an unbuilt Terry kit in my cellar. I will definitely get round to it some time. I will fit a small outrunner (around 30 gms) and Lipolys. It should have killer performance with modern equipment.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
The Terry flies perfectly, both slow and fast, but that's indeed after the launching phase of the flight... Less than full throttle and throw her both upward and forward instead of forward only. ChrisP's method also works.

Mine is here, perhaps one of the images will help with battery location for instance.

I did a bit of Googling and New Creations RC (still) has Terry replacement parts listed.

By the way, why not replacing different types of connectors on different parts with the ones you can get locally? The controllers and batteries of all my models have Dean's soldered on. And therefore also my charger(s) and measuring equipment...

Yvo
Phaeton is offline Find More Posts by Phaeton
Last edited by Phaeton; Jul 17, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:48 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
Phaeton has a good idea... instead of trying to find the proprietary Graupner connectors (and the motor/speed control combo), just use whatever you have locally. You'll definitely save time and probably money, too.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul
the Terry is my first plane.

Now of course I ignored the advice that everyone gives which is to find someone who knows how to fly already and learn from them. It's my independent nature that wants me to learn from my own mistakes I suppose.
The Terry really isn't a good first model. I would recommend you put it aside and get something like an EasyStar or an Elektro-UHU for your first flying experiments. You can use the same gear, but these models are much tougher and much more forgiving.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2002
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
The Terry really isn't a good first model. I would recommend you put it aside and get something like an EasyStar or an Elektro-UHU for your first flying experiments. You can use the same gear, but these models are much tougher and much more forgiving.

Jürgen
I agree. A Terry was my first plane, and I broke it and broke the prop and motor. It makes a great second plane though after you get some experience.
Cmiller is offline Find More Posts by Cmiller
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Snoozer
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
The Terry is a surprisingly fast airplane.
No one advised me to reinforce the main wing, until after it clapped pulling out of a high speed dive.
It was difficult to control the wingless torpedo like airplane.
It went in hard and fast as the broken wing halves fluttered down. I diligently collected all the pieces. A new motor and prop, couple of small carbon fiber rods and a bottle of Gorilla glue, and I was back flying.
cactuskev is offline Find More Posts by cactuskev
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDay
I started with a Terry and flew by myself the first few times... I was reasonably successful (although my 3 replacement props, replacement fuselage, and replacement wing may beg to differ - see the previous TREES comment!).
Seconded... or thirded? I repaired the wing once in a similar way, with gorilla glue, a bamboo skewer, and CF tape. It survived, and lives again:

Graupner Terry
LS ParkJet
OEMRC 25amp ESC
6x5.5E

Dopplered several runs between 85-95mph.
NO wing spar, but I used two 1/2" strips of CF tape along the top and bottom, then glassed with .5oz cloth and Polycrylic and covered with Econokote.

Maiden flight was scary, I had some cheapo aileron servos that were chattering like crazy. Once those were replaced it was nice and smooth. I had to rebuild the canopy attachment, it blew off 3x on the high speed passes. All better now though. Also, I lost one spinner and prop in the tall grass at the field, so it is spinnerless at the moment.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2002
434 Posts
Bang on with the advice to launch "up" - I used to heave mine near vertical with the 8 cell pack and it had a tendency to pull down in launch. I came to the conclusion that the incidence on the motor was down, perhaps to compensate in high speed flight? Anyway it always flew well, but landing was an adventure in that the slightest rub of a wingtip meant that the bolts has to be re - glued. I had a lot of fun with the Terry and even considered getting another one, but they are discontinued from what I can see.
Zilla
Dadzilla-5 is offline Find More Posts by Dadzilla-5