HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by epoweredrc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:51 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Discussion
not in a trailer but in a suv van, how do you carry your planes?

i was wondering do you guys just throw everything in the suv or van and let it ride of has anyone came up with holders for holding stuff.

i have a specker box and have it pushed up to the back of the back seats, so I have about a foot of room behind the box to the tailgate on my Blazer
I have ben putting my boxes with batterys and chagers and the big battery in the back on this rack I have thats off the foor about a half a inch ( my specker box faces down and has a vent where the air comes out)

and I put my Tx in my little clear holder that holds my tie straps, and I put my foam plane on top of the box and my ME in front of the box with the seats down, along with my cooler and all. But now I have another plane I just put together my NASS and i like to take my heli, my small S-10 blazer is running out of room. I would like to come up with something where I could leave my one smaller back seat up 9 so if someone needed to rid with me) but am not sure how to do this. I know I know, take my specker box out and I will have lot more room, I will and I wont. if I take it out then my planes with that one back seat up will have to be nose to the tail gate. and maybe put racks in to hold them above the bottom one? but then where do i putt my big charging battery and batts and everything else?
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
pictures of how it is now
also a pic of my charging station now, a Jump starter I opened it up put some connectors on it and it seems to be working great.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 01:40 PM
Southern California High Desert
Joined Jun 2007
70 Posts
One of the guys at my club made a rack out of pvc pipe and elbow/T couplers.....
Holds fuse/wings three planes all in a smaller space. rack is three "shelves high.

I bought an older F-250 pickup (cheap) with a massive cab-over-camper that I only use to store and transport my fleet and all hobby stuff to the field.
It is sort of like a hobby shop on wheels!! However, the mpg is very low!!

Murph.........
Biplane Murphy is offline Find More Posts by Biplane Murphy
Old Jul 15, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
oh wow, thats good, a few guys in my club has trailers and one of them has it like a hobby store all kinda parts hanging on the walls and all, racks for planes, they fly these HUGE profile Nitro planes and gas ones so thats why they need them,. I would like to find a small inclosed trailer. but then got to pull a trailer I don't mind it much but all the time I wouldn't. i think the PVC is the best way, but i am more of a wood guy, I keep thinking about how I could do it.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:31 AM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
I just stuff my planes in the back seat of my crappy old Acura & throw the Tx & everything else in the trunk. That is why I'm limited to smaller planes to fly. Luckily, I am only about a mile from where we fly. Unless I am going to fly indoors. But then the planes are so small that it isn't an issue.
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:18 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
yeah thats the good thing about smaller ones, most mine are from 38 inch span down to 24. but I would like to carry a passenger in the back and i carry a round cooler for water and such with me on those all day trips to the feild, i am about 7 minutes from one and about 35 mins from the other ones
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:49 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I just carry it out to my back yard. But if I go to town to the club feild, my truck has a leather cover on the bed and keeps things from jumping out.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62.5pilot
I just carry it out to my back yard. But if I go to town to the club feild, my truck has a leather cover on the bed and keeps things from jumping out.

Tom
yeah i do that too, but been spending lot time at one the feilds, my mini edge I cant fly in the yard. at least not yet. till some more trees come down
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:50 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I just put my plane in my dads car trunk and everything else in the back seat.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:29 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
I made a rack from 1/2" PVC pipe and various T and L fittings, and covered the pipe with foam pipe insulation for padding. It's about half the width of my Suburban so there is room on the floor still for the 1/4 scale stuff.

The rack comes out and serves to store the planes in the house too.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Is a specker box what you put specks in?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
The Honda Odessey will just hold a 115" zagnutz.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
with my hand , no seriously i walk to my field, i dont ride my bike any more as wind got under it once and snapped one off
mike
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ol' Deadeye
Lubbock,TX
Joined Aug 2005
124 Posts
The schoolgrounds are one street over (about two hundred feet) out the back door of my shop. My eyes are too bad for me to drive anymore (I only fly light electrics & heli's) so this works out perfect. I don't fly while the school is open and so far, no one has found cause to complain.
Dusty Puddles is offline Find More Posts by Dusty Puddles
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
well i worked on something yesterday, its better then it was.

by the way i can walk out walk about 20 feet and toss my planes in the air and fly have a 75x85 flat mostly level yard to fly from then once I get about 20-50 feet over the trees i have all the room in the world to fly

But i get bored with that so enjoy going to thefeild and flying with the guys