SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
Bend, OR
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Discussion
Sloping at Lumber site in Hood River Oregon

Had some long overdue fun up at Lumber today.
Very hot, moderate wind, cycling from 10-16 with a NW component that makes it less fun, but it was still a good day overall.
See pics of my new twisty wing toy, did not really get to wring her out as the ceiling was low, and lift energy not ideal for 17 oz/ft of SD6062, but got some stick time, and learning how to slow down a little with rudder and reverse wingeron for landings.

The coolest thing about Hood river is my friends Karl and Greg who also flew R/C with a rebuilt modified sparrow, got to go wind surfing after we flew at Lumber, we flew from 11:00 AM to about 1:00 PM, went for lunch they were windsurfing by 2:30 PM, kind of like surfing and snow skiing in the same day. Ride the wind with a sailplane, then ride the same wind in the river the same day. The wind surfing looks like fun and a great work out, got to try that some day.

The day was of a double sided nature though, Karl's white and red NSP sparrow V-tail bagged wing 60" sloper was lost do to battery failure, in the abys of the lumber slope face.
We heard it hit, sounded about 50 yds away at the most, we searched, but no luck, that place is scary as far as loosing planes, be very carefull there, good place to use a locater gadget.

Also, I got some video from today on a 8 year old 8MM video camera, what is the easiet way to get that into a format to be loaded here? I have an older computer too, any help would be appreciated, not real exciting video, but its some crusing around anyway.

Regards,
Brian
mccomposites is offline Find More Posts by mccomposites
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:06 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
The Vector looks great, Brian. TWF!!

Hood River looks amazing, too. I've got to get up there and fly with you guys one of these days.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:33 AM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,551 Posts
Congrulation on the new bird

Glad you got some stick time with your Vector 2. So give us the specifications (wing span, wing twist system, how many servos). Was there a performance window that you were trying to hit? Is this for advanced pilots only? Will this plane go into production?

Inquiring minds want to know.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:42 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,032 Posts
The Vector 2 looks great Brian. If you plan to head up to HR again anytime in the near future let me know as I'd love to check it out....

Vic
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jul 15, 2007, 01:50 AM
Bend, OR
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Vector 2 info

After visiting a friends shop at his house up in Eastern Washington last fall, I got inspired to do a TW toy.
Something simple, fun and different for the future.

Trying to compete against the ever better value and performance imported models is getting harder everyday, so my plan is to start on some new original designs, TW, PSS 60", BSS, fuse/cores/kits, some bagged wing/stab/fuse kits etc..

No more DS or "stick with wings" slope racers, those guys are just to serious for me anymore, they have found there toys and are pretty happy with them, also those toys are almost 100% NOT made in the USA for good reason, and its no longer very fun for me as I cannot really afford to own one of my own designs. Who was it that said "want to earn $6.00 the hard way", thats about it, $10.00 an hour to be a resin jockey, making the same moulded plane over and over.

I want to bring back some "less serious" fun, promote "building again", and hopefuly through good instruction manuals, and enough interest, get to share some sound procedures/techniques I have learned through out the years for putting together FUN planes.

I also have been very inspired by Reed's Jart, amazing what has happened, building is coming back, and I think that is great. An interesting point about the Jart is how positive the threads are here, not much of the negative stuff, just guys building planes, learning from each other, forging friendships in the hobby and sharing their accomplishments, thats how it started for me, and its fun.

A famous guy on a TV show once said about custom cars, "if you did not build it your self, you don't really own it", subjective statement but a good point none the less.

For this fall/winter and next year AFTER I get caught up on my usual back order list this summer/early fall.

Vector 2 info-
This plane is similiar to my Original Vector from the early 1990's, cleaner fuse, with some modern aerodynamic/mechanical considerations. Old school new school blend.

wing span = 72" (fuse will work with 68" to about 90", but the 72" wing is standard for now)
wing area = 385 sq in
aspect ratio = 13:1
fuse length = 42 in
controls = wingeron, full flying stab, rudder
100 % S-glass fuse
carbon bagged wings/stabs
airfoil(s) wing = SD6062 modified transistional
wing planform = double taper with the first panel on the 1/4 chord

I plan to build these to stock in batches of 3-4 in about 3 months or so, and hopefully sell them with very little customization and/or painting.

I am still dialing in the CG, fuse/wing decalage, differential if any, throws, etc...

Any ideas on the video? I almost fell asleep watching it, but I will load it when I figure out how to.

Thanks,
Brian
Old Jul 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,551 Posts
New Old Blend

Thanks for the techinical information Brian. What skill level would be needed to fly your Vector 2 and be able to land it with out breaking anything? It looks like an intermediate slope pilot who can land some where close to where he aims should be OK in moderate wind. This does not look like a beginner plane. Naturally the LZ of the slope makes a lot of differance to the intimidation factor. Your thoughts?
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jul 15, 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:44 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I like the philosophy there Brian. I also love seeing great TWF planes get "on the market" too. From what I have heard about your original Vector, I'm sure you have another winner. Want a deposit?

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:36 AM
Bend, OR
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
The Vector2 is like a modern Xica or Snipe, high speed fun when the lift is good for advanced slope pilots, the landing speed is pretty quick so its better for good landing zones like the Lumber site, Eagle Butte, Thorton beach, Torrey pines, etc.... it can be landed at tight landing zones too, if they are grass or bushes then its no problem. Its a tough plane to hand catch though, compared to a flapped plane.

The Vector2 will be best suited to good lift in 20-40 MPH winds, but will fly well in 15 MPH wind at a good slope, if one is proficient with a 60" racer the Vector2 will be very fun, and a good next step up in performance.

Its not a pylon racer, but will carve high speed turns in bigger circles nice, roll rate of a TW, high and low speed aerobatics, and its a very efficient energy extracter with the clean wingeron wings aka no H/L gaps or servo covers. At 72" it will be very competitive for frontside fun at that span.

Thanks for listening,
Brian
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:58 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,032 Posts
How much for a kit?
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:07 AM
Bend, OR
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
More pics and info

Please send me an E-mail at mcmodels@yahoo.com or 541-633-7553 for more info on pricing, etc...

some more pics from home, the molds/jigs, and this airframe is for sale but not here, call or E-mail for more info.

Thanks,
Brian
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
I want to believe...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,496 Posts
Very nice B, clean and simple.
Say, how wide is the fuse on the inside at the wing joiner?
Just thinking...

Doc

Next time you head up to HR let me know!
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccomposites
Also, I got some video from today on a 8 year old 8MM video camera, what is the easiet way to get that into a format to be loaded here? I have an older computer too, any help would be appreciated, not real exciting video, but its some crusing around anyway.
Basically, with a HI-8 camera you are going to need a video capture device. This can be in the form of a PCI card or an external device that connects via USB or Firewire to your PC. Be sure the video is worth the trouble because for the uninitiated there can be a bit of a learning curve for this sort of stuff, got any computer geek buddies? I could be bribed pretty easily, I have a TWF, but I live clear across the country.

BTW, the Gorge is such a cool place, I used to go there once a year for about 5 years when I was in the windsurfing biz.
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,551 Posts
Clean Design

Wow, that is one clean design. No controll surface gaps with wing-a-ron and full flying stabilizer / elevator. I guess we can make an exception for the rudder, as that would be challenging to have a full flying rudder for a slope ship. I have seen that on some hand launch, but high speed full flying rudder would be a lot of work and weight in the tail, I would think.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:35 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Nice job Brian, I have always been a fan of the twisties, I look forward to seeing some of these on the slope

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:58 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer
Wow, that is one clean design. No controll surface gaps with wing-a-ron and full flying stabilizer / elevator. I guess we can make an exception for the rudder, as that would be challenging to have a full flying rudder for a slope ship. I have seen that on some hand launch, but high speed full flying rudder would be a lot of work and weight in the tail, I would think.
I had a CR Contender wingeron with a full-flying rudder. Seemed challenging to get a slop-free linkage with that much surface moving around, although it never gave any issues in flight.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle