HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by chip.greely, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 09:35 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
2,815 Posts
Discussion
And like a Phoenix,......

After shelving the Easy for another day of working on the House, I recalled reading that EPP (and Elapor foam) would re-expand in Hot Water. So after gutting the E-compartment, I filled up the sink with Hot Water and sank the Easy fuse in for a good half hour. Sure enough, the once flattened E-compartment had popped up revealing several tears in her bottom and cracks between her halves. I was surprised and had to give her a closer look. Not bad,...although she still had that nasty tire mark on the side, so back in the sink with some Dawn and a scrub brush and so much for that Tire Mark momento.

After drying off the Easy, I started re-aligning the two sides of the breaks, and found the Elapor foam to be soft and workable. I could squeeze the fuse and pull broken ends back to their once joining parts. Interesting. OK, time for CA and Kicker. I started with the tear in the side of the fuse, where it starts back up toward the wing mount. Since the Canopy had popped off during my landing, I used it to give me the basic 'curve' to refit. A few drops of CA and spray on some Kicker,...a puff of smoke and presto. Hmm,..how about that torn bottom where both servos were driven straight through to the pavement. Again,...a puff of smoke and bonded. I love that puff of smoke.

I continued this for a dozen cracks and tears, reshaping all the while and stopping to test fit the shape against the Canopy. After it was all said and done, it looked a bit ugly, but pretty close to original form. I decided to use some 100 grit and do some reshaping of the Easy's new collection of 'innies & outies'. Her nose had been hooked from a previous repair, so what better time to give her a nose job. The CA spots had hardened nicely, so sanding them took some thoughtfulness. I took what she would give me and reshaped as close as I could to original form.

Once finished, it turned out pretty good. Here's a few pictures of the repair. After hunting down some replacement servos and Rx, I thing the Easy will likely fly again. But after her ordeal with that Chevy Truck on PCH, this time she'll only be referred to as the Phoenix, raising from the ashes.

C
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Last edited by chip.greely; Jul 14, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
Proud To Have Served 1983-1987
United States, PA, York
Joined Dec 2005
931 Posts
See, wasn't as bad as you thought. That's why I love that Elapor !!
You should have seen the nose of my Easy last weekend !!
Little glue & kicker and it's like new, well, maybe not quite new.

Smitty
SEMPERFI8387 is offline Find More Posts by SEMPERFI8387
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
2,815 Posts
Yep Smitty, it was as bad as I thought,...just didn't know how well this stuff rebounds. Pretty amazing to go from flat back to shape,....now if only my Rx and servos had been able to do that,... ;~)

C
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely