HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2002, 03:46 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,575 Posts
Question
Flap set-up question

I am building up an Art Hobby Bore 2M and decided to add flaps, primarily for crow during landing. Although I have flown ships before with flaps/crow, it was an ARF and I did not have to set up the flaps and didn't really pay attention to how it was hinged, control horn placement etc.

My Questions:

1) Should I set up the flaps to be able to go to 90 degrees at max throw (for stopping power)?

2) Other idea was to bevel the top leading edge of the flaps for some upward movement to work in conjunction with the ailerons for some quick roll response. I would be hinging the flaps on the bottom surface (of course) and use gap tape to seal the exposed gap.

Comments, suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:52 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
Well, regarding your first point, you should try and get as much down as possible for braking. However you don't need 90 degrees, 70 or more should be plenty. If you look at the frontal area of the flap set at 70 degress, and at 90 degrees, there's very little difference. And getting the linkage to give 90 can be tricky enough...... (Or you can use trig to work it out mathematically!)

Regarding "up" flap, my Multiplex Alpina uses upward movement of the flaps to help roll response, half the travel of the adjacent alieron. The downward aileron is NOT assisted by downward flap. This setup helps avoid adverse yaw, and it works great. (It's as advised by Multiplex.) There's my 2 cents.....
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:38 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,575 Posts
Thanks

wight,

Thanks much!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade