SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:55 PM
San Diego, CA. Clairemont area.
Joined Jul 2007
1 Posts
Discussion
Laister-Kauffmann Yankee Doodle

Good afternoon all. I recently joined this group and I saw a lengthy discussion from a couple years back on the efforts to get some information on the Laister Lawrence Tech Yankee Doodle LK-10A sailplane so a scale glider could be built.

The National Soaring Museum has commissioned me to build a display model for them of this plane. They were able to get me a three-view drawing and a couple old photographs. The three-view is good and I can shape the model from those but I really need some good pics or drawings of the paint detail, lettering, numbers and all that. I try to be as accurate in the planes I build and I would appreciate any information that might steer me in the right direction. Thanks
grobpilot is offline Find More Posts by grobpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2005
97 Posts
LK-10 pics

Grobpilot,
Are you aware of Doug Fronius and his full-size LK-10? Doug is here in the San Diego area and typically flies the LK at Tehachapi. I can put you in touch if you like. Send me a pm if interested.
Gary Fogel
Thermalator is offline Find More Posts by Thermalator
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
Grobpilot,

It reads in your post as though you are mixing two sailplanes in your designations. The Lawrence Tech sailplanes were designed and built by Jack Laister prior to his association with Kauffmann in developing the LK-10 under government contract for use as a trainer in World War II and later designated the TG-4 in military service.

There were several ships designed and built at the Lawrence Technical Institute by Jack resulting in the IV designation and this is the sailplane which was given the name "Yankee Doodle" prior to being sent to Paris to compete in an aerobatic competion in 1939. It was painted red, white and blue and only one example existed and it was destroyed in an accident later in St. Louis and never rebuilt or replaced.

Although it was derived from the earlier Lawrence Tech sailplane, the LK-10 lacked the gull wing of its predecessor and was a two seat glider and not the elegant sailplane embodied in the LT-IV. Although at least one example of the LK-10A was painted in the color scheme of the Yankee Doodle and shown in the Soaring Directory published by the Soaring Society of America, (http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/laister.htm internet text and photos here without their permission by the way), it is a civilian paint scheme adopted after many of the LKs were surplused into the private market and is neither correct nor a factory or military scheme. You may wish to contact the SSA and LTU for more information and a search of their libraries as both organizations will be able to locate more documentation for you on either aircraft.

There are very few references to this sailplane on Google making it a difficult subject to research using this tool and even fewer photographs exist that I have been able to locate. Here are some links and references that you may find helpful and you are welcome to phone me if you need more assistance. I have a file on the Yankee Doodle including three separate three views published previousley, a corrected original three view, black and white historical photographs, and specifications for this aircraft:

Smithsonian Institute Request for Documentation on Aircraft:
http://siris-thesauri.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!3122!0#focus

Interview with Jack Laster by the Apple Valley CA newspaper:
http://archive.vvdailypress.com/2005...000091107.html

Skyways index to article with history, photos and line drawings - 62 Apr 02:
http://www.worldwar1aeroplanesinc.org/skywaysindex.html

Lawrence Technological University (their new name) Flash page with reference and images:
http://www.ltu.edu/ltutimeline/

I hope this is of some help,
Tom - www.tmrcsailplanes.com "Home of the Schweizers"
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
How about a 1/4 scale model. I have a fullsize if any documentation is needed.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
Good idea Dean. I have plans to do the LT IV at that scale and have plans and a flat-top version of the LK-10 in development but it is at 1:5 scale.

Tom
Last edited by mmartin55; Jul 29, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 11:51 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
Grobpilot,

How is your project coming? Is it to be the Laister design or the LK design?

Tom