SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2002, 01:35 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
My First Scratch Built Plane - Thanks Hoppy

This is my first scratch build. It's based on Hoppy's Hoot. The wing is made of 2mm Depron folded over with three ribs per wing and two riblets between each rib back to the depron spar. It's very light and very strong. Instead of using glue I used double sided sticky tape to fix the rib, riblets and spar and also along the TE to fix the fold. The wing then has coloured packing tape covering. The Fuse is a variant on the Hoot with a different turtle deck and canopy. The fuse is 3mm Depron covered with computer listing paper and painted with 50% PVA/water. I then covered the fuse with coloured packing tape. It's very light and very, very strong. I found out the hard way how strong during an iverted pass on the maiden flight. It stuffed in under full power from thirty feet. The repairs took ten minutes with strapping tape and some CA to the motor mount. Power is from a hybrid unit. It was a GWS 100C but the 280 motor burnt out so I replaced it with a motor from a GWS 300C box. The ratio is about 4 to 1 and the 300 motor give plenty of power. I run it on an 8 cell AAA 720 mAH NiMH pack and it's very fast on a GWS 8 x 6 prop. It flies great. I can loop from level. Roll quicker than I can count and it climbs at about 70 degrees.

Thanks Hoppy it's a great design.

Andy
Andycart is offline Find More Posts by Andycart
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2002, 01:40 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Heres the image (I hope)

Old Nov 10, 2002, 01:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,012 Posts
Thanks Andy,
I've got a Mini AC1215/16 in mine now. Do most of the flying at 1/2-3/5 throttle which is enough for level flight looping. At full throttle it's a real tiger. How about a bigger picture?
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:50 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Larger Image
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:51 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Side View
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:21 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
sweet plane Andy!! whats its stats wingspan etc. how bout some plans i'd love to have one of these in my own hanger i might enlarge it a bit!! or put a 400 and mak it really scream
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Nov 11, 2002, 05:16 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Wingspan is 31" and the fuse is 24". The plans are on Hoppy's site. I love this plane it flies superbly. 40" winspan and a speed 400 would scream.

Andy
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:11 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,012 Posts
The HOOT is loosely based on the KAOS. It has a 30" span, 8" chord, 23" body length, and an AUW of 13oz with Speed 300 gear. See HOOT in http://geocities.com/hoppyfl The hophoot.zip file contains the templates for the body and wing construction is detailed. The actual wing came out more symetrical than semi symetrical as the airfoil shows. I'd just go from the start with a symetrical section. The NACA0018 would be my choice.

Andy, you did a great job!!

hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Nov 12, 2002 at 08:31 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:38 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
Damn, I just had to download them plans!!
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Nov 11, 2002, 04:28 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,012 Posts
Andy, how did you do the turtle deck? I like it! And while you are at it, tell me about the landing gear attachment. All looks really good.
hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Nov 11, 2002 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:31 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Hi Hoppy

The turtle deck was really easy. I built the fuse with a flat top as per your plans. When I had glued it up I rolled a peice of A4 paper round it to get the right shape, cut this out of Depron and glued it in place. I then got a peice of overhead projector transparency film (acetate) and held this round the front of the fuse back to the new turtle deckand marked it and cut to shape. The landing gear was an addition after the crash on the maiden. The foam spar in the wing was crushed abd I was too lazy to build a new wing. I stuck a peice of 3mm CF rod to the underside of the wing with strapping tape. It was actually stronger after the repair. I had got the plane muddy during initial flights so I used the spare LG moints that came with my Zero and bent some wire legs. It's a bit draggy but saves me having to hose the plane down (well wipe it anyway) when ~I get home.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:03 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
hoppy i thought i'd just point out that the webpage isnt quite corect its http://geocities.com/hoppyfl/ it doesnt have a . on the end!! it had me stumped 4 a while
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:22 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,455 Posts
Andy, I've been following your thread and your plane looks awesome!!...beautiful work...can't wait to see it fly!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano