HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Discussion
I can honestly say I think I'm done with glow

I have not burned a lot of glow fuel in the last few years, mainly due to family. I coach little league baseball and that with my job leaves little time to get to the field. About the only time I fly glow is during the annual Omaha ProBro that I host (July 20-22 if you want to come!)

I just finished up a glow O2-45 to fly alongside my Torque 2814T/820 powered O2. As I was in the front yard dialing in the motor my wife asks "why are you even messing with that stupid thing?" I started wondering the same thing. I went over to the open lot near my development to test it out and while it did fine, the performance was no where near as good as the E version of the plane, plus is was a little heavier. As I was flying I started feeling disappointed. I then landed and then it hit me....I forgot that I now need to clean this thing up. I was not happy with the performance and now I gotta clean it up

I'm hosting the 2007 Omaha ProBro next weekend. For the first time ever, I'm going to an event with only electric planes. I've been flying a long time, and flying electrics for about 4 years now. The transition to electrics is almost complete. I have a few glow planes I won't get rid of like my son's P51 and my Burrito, but those are the only glow planes we own now. Heck, I don't even have a motor on the Burrito right now

Q
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
I played with engines until I got my fill of the noise and the danger of getting into the prop. Sold the last five and have not looked back. The guys at the field let me fly their glow planes sometimes. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicker
I was not happy with the performance and now I gotta clean it up

I'm hosting the 2007 Omaha ProBro next weekend. For the first time ever, I'm going to an event with only electric planes. I've been flying a long time, and flying electrics for about 4 years now. The transition to electrics is almost complete.

Q
I'm the same,I still have an old glow Uproar,but the noise & slime gets to me...I like the T-Shirt that says.....'Pass on gas'
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
I do have an 85" gasser I'm working on with a Venom 45cc engine, but I view that a bit differently. I can't afford an e setup for that, and gasoline is different than glow.

Q
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
Send me that piece of junk, I'll find a use for it.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
NO CABIN PRESSURE!!
Joined Jun 2007
262 Posts
Ahhhhh... Diesel Dan, that avatar is creaping the heck out of me!!!
YakkityYak55 is offline Find More Posts by YakkityYak55
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:06 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
I always wondered why the put the mixture screw so close to the prop. It seems to be in a perfect place to lop off part of your finger.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:46 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Gasoline and electric only for me. I have finally gotten rid of my last glow engine. I have started selling some of the very many glow engines i have and have already made over $500 off old stuff I'll never use.

Gasoline is a very different beast. Usually they never require additional tuning and are generally very clean. (still loud, bud a nice deep noise instead of the whine of glow)

simo10
simo10 is offline Find More Posts by simo10
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
I played with engines until I got my fill of the noise and the danger of getting into the prop.
An electric powered propeller presents no danger?
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:24 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin

Electric motors don't have needle valves, and they have "built-in electric starters." I think there is a lot less chance of getting bit by one, as long as you don't do something stupid.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
Bartlett, IL
Joined Jun 2002
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I have seen more guys at my field get whacked by an electric prop than gas or glow. Those guys had a false sense of security and bumped the throttle, or accidently reversed the throttle channel instead of ailerons and wham!!! The worst I see is when another guy is holding the plane like a baby carrying it to the flight line and the pilot decides to check his throttle at that moment. Not pretty. But I have been there when a guy cut off a finger reaching throught the prop of a giant scale gasser.

Quicker, it seems that most of your glow planes were in the 40 - 50 size range. I still have glow planes that size but brushless power in that range is just too hard to pass up.
stamper is offline Find More Posts by stamper
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Guess I am lucky..never flew gas..

BL motors can turn over on some setups. Not full, but a revolution or 2..some of my panes have a prop locker, until I am ready to go.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper
Quicker, it seems that most of your glow planes were in the 40 - 50 size range. I still have glow planes that size but brushless power in that range is just too hard to pass up.
I've run from .25 to 1.60 sized glow. Had an EF 68" yak. Cool plane Had my own Skeeter 80. Very cool plane. They are what got me hooked on bigger planes and the desire to go to gas for anything not electric. I'm in the prototype stages of my own design 85" 50cc Extra 260.

I think now with the price of Lipos and the power of the motors anything under 45" is just automatic electric. Most of my planes in the 40-50" size have been done as both electric and glow so I can get an apples to apples comparison. The E versions are always better for many reasons, not just the slime and grime, but the performance is always better.

Q
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:37 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I gave up on glow in 1968 and went over to diesel... oh, wait, that's not the same thing, is it? Even my diesels are not getting as much exercise as my electrics or rubber f/f models.

Glow is in my very long distance past!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
Electric motors don't have needle valves, and they have "built-in electric starters."
Many of the newer glo motors have a remote neeedle valve. I can almost bet this has saved me a few nicks.

However, I've had an electric start up unexpectedly (through my own inattentiveness) and chopped up my thigh really good. I was new to electrics and it just caught me by surprise. If I hadn't been quick enough to realize what was happening and get out of the way, it could have been much, much worse. It hurt like hell, but I'm glad it happened. I'm glad I got a wake-up call instead of losing a finger.....or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
I think there is a lot less chance of getting bit by one, as long as you don't do something stupid.
That's the point, isn't it? You pretty much have to do something stupid to get bit by either one, and God knows we're all immune to doin' stupid things, right?

In the end, I don't think it matters which kind of motor just cut you to the bone. None of them are good in this respect.

Quote:
I have seen more guys at my field get whacked by an electric prop than gas or glow..
I don't really have a scientic sampling because my club is mostly nitro and the park is all electric. However, there is a 100% injury rate for anyone getting struck by propellers powered by either type of motor/engine.

Quote:
Those guys had a false sense of security
Which is exactly what happened to me.

Quote:
....or accidently reversed the throttle channel instead of ailerons and wham!!!
I had a brand new Mini Funana 480 that was completely finished and I was checking the programming right before I loaded up to go test it. The motor was running backwards. Being new to electrics, my mind reverted to nitro thinking and I simply reversed the throttle channel expecting that to fix it.

The thing blasted off the kitchen table and flew right into the china cabinet. The wife was extremely unamused.

Quote:
The worst I see is when another guy is holding the plane like a baby carrying it to the flight line and the pilot decides to check his throttle at that moment. Not pretty.
Never, ever, ever trust anyone else with your own safety. The only way you will ever be as safe as you can be is to take responsibility for your own safety. Someone else may be at fault, but when the prop starts chopping, you're gonna be the one that lives with the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
Guess I am lucky..never flew gas.. .
Some would call that bad luck. I fly mostly electric now, but I wouldn't give up my nitro memories for anything.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jul 12, 2007 at 09:07 PM.