HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Discussion
Blast From The Past- Byron's P-51

It's taken over 22 years (!!!) but I'm finally getting around to building the birthday present my brother gave me back in 1985 (it's a long story). If anyone has one of these in the attic, cellar, etc. and has memories, hints, etc. etc. they would be most welcome. It's one of the early kits with the one piece wing. Many thanks in advance...
Fred P. is offline Find More Posts by Fred P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined Jan 2005
32 Posts
I still have one NIB also....one piece wing along with the reduction drive unit and 4 bladed prop. Are you planning to use the reduction drive on your project?

Andrew
arp67 is offline Find More Posts by arp67
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
slide on over to www.rcscalebuilder.com - there is an entire thread dedicated to building Byron warbirds.

*edit*
Huh - I went to actually find a thread on the byron and I was wrong - couldn't find one at the top level. Maybe in 'other' kits?

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Last edited by TRP; Jul 17, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Yes, Andrew. Have spare blades for the prop, just in case. Also have an aftermarket on-board starter kit and canopy, with photo-etched framing. Can't recall who the manufacturers are just at the moment. Had picked up a Quadra 45 to replace the 40 that came with the drive for a touch more oooph, and I'm looking for replacement belts (Gates may still make them), also just in case. Thanks for the tip, Ted- will be swimming through their stuff at length soon- I may get lucky.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 04:37 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,582 Posts
Hi there guys I had a byron mustang and man what a model, mine had the larger quadra 45 and although this motor is nothing short of a boat ancore on power it will propell the model in a very convincing manner provided you keep the weight down. Mine also had the one peice wing and weighed 21lb ready to fly. It is also a good idea to scrap the torque rod idea for the ailerons in favour of some nice metal geared mini servos as the ailerons flutter a treat when you get them humming. the other thing is let the model take off when it's ready pull the gear up early and let it build up speed....no yanking it off the deck or it WILL end badly. Other than that a pleasure to fly and own as it always draws a crowd when being flown well. The blades are still being made in the states but really would benefit from being made from wood or carbon because the plastic ones loose pitch as speed and efficiency. From what I have read even with the mustang 50 fitted there really was no noticable gain in performance just a few extra hundred revs.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:05 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Thanks, BN181- will file your data for the maiden flight.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:52 PM
Troy, Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
19 Posts
Fred, If you take your time, you will be rewarded with a great flying model. I have built many Byron models professionaly over the years. Make sure you sand the inside of the fuse with 80 grit before attaching the formers. Also wash the inside of the fuse , cowl ext. with white vinegar to remove all parting agents. Also only use polyester resin to glass the formers in place. No epoxy. Epoxy will not stick well to the polyester fuse. Use 1 1/2 oz. cloth over the foam wings and tail surfaces, not the .75 oz. cloth. This will keep you from punching through the glass when handling the model, and help keep hanger rash down to a minimum. Make sure you over lap the leading edge well, with enough glass and resin to prevent dings also. Also use foam friendly paints. Automotive thinners anc get through the pin holes and melt the foam. I normally used K&B pants for that reason. I now use latex paints with Nelson clear. You could also use all Nelson paint as well. Good luck with your Mustang.
Gary Webb
gary9648 is offline Find More Posts by gary9648
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,582 Posts
oh and don't forget too fred what ever you do DONT USE POLYESTER RESIN ON THE WINGS[B] or you won't have any wings left.......polyester resin eats foam like there's no tomorrow , midwest resins or any other good laminating resin will work here, the bigger the ration the better the epoxy!
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:47 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
MANY thanks, Gary & BN181!. Gary, I thought the fuselage was fiberglass (?). I'm assuming the 1 1/2 oz. stuff won't appreciably add to the overall weight, if I do a good job. I had planned to use non-automotive enamels, but if you think latex is the way to go... also, what about the Klassy Kote expoxies? Any other favorites for resins other than MidWest for the wings? Jeez- it looks like I'm actually going to start putting this sucker together! Stay tuned...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
Troy, Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
19 Posts
Fred, the fuse is made from fiberglass cloth empregnated with polyester resin.
That is why you want to use polyester resin to glass the formers into the fuse. For glassing the foam wings I would use Zap finishing epoxy mixing 20-30% dnatured alcohol to thin to a milk consistancy. This will allow the resin to soak into the cloth and foam with out causing problems while brushing it on. I normally lay the cloth over the part(bottom side first just like plastic covering) I also use masking tape to mask the edge so the epoxy does do run over to the unglassed side and create blobs on the foam. A real night mare. I put it along the leading edge and trailing edge. I allow the glass to over lap the leading edge by 1/2". When the epoxy hardens. You then trim the excess glass cloth with 320 grit wet or dry sand paper on a sanding block. You just sand at the mask line. Then remove tape. Finish tapering edge with sanding block. Then remask other side(by the way you need not mask more than about 3 inches back from the leading edge or trailing edge).
As far as paint goes, I would recommend using the Latex primer, and color. Put graphics on it and clear with polyurathane clear, or Nelson Aircraft clear with cross linker. The cross linker makes the paint harder. I have not used Klass cote paints. Thre Latex is many times less expensive, and they will mix it to match in small amounts perfectly at the paint store. With Klass Cote you are on your own to match the colors yourself by mixing the paint yourself.
You need the heavier glass cloth as I mentioned to keep from crushing the foam wings and tail surfaces when handling the model. It will not add that much weight. I have built 30 -40 Byron models over the years for myself and customers and have had no problems with weight.
Gary
Old Aug 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Many thanks once again, Gary. Sounds like excellent advice across the board, especially the covering hints. My apologies going forward, as I bother the ?!#$%&!? out of you (and the rest of you who've kindly contributed info) with questions, etc. as I make my way forward.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 08:50 AM
Troy, Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
19 Posts
Fred, I forgot to mention you can buy polyester resin at Walmart in the automotive section. Bondo brand. It is the same as what we buy at the hobby shop but a lot less money. Use about twice the amount of catylist that is suggested. Instead of 8 drops per oz., I would use 15 drops.
Gary
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:53 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Mar 2003
74 Posts
Some pics and tips

Hey Fred,

I fell in love with the Byron P51 back when it first came out in the '80s, just couldn't afford one on my salary with a wife, 2 kids and 1 on the way.

Since then times have changed and I've been most fortunate to have acquired "a few", which I'm working up to flying (need to practice my landing so I'm not constantly trying to "glide in" instead of "flying it in").....have a few less now as the hangar was getting to crowded.

I would strongly consider ditching the on-board starter, as it adds way to much weight for the plane. The P51 I have that is now in Old Crow colors originally was built with one (I think it was a FUJI unit) and the friend who rebuilt her said I needed to "dump the weight".

I can check and see about the Gates belt number for the drive unit if you want, as I know I have a couple of spares that came with one of the planes.

Let us see you progress as you move along toward completion.

Bill
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Last edited by Hinckley Bill; Aug 17, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 11:08 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Whoa, Bill! What a great collection- looks like a tremendous job on all of them. I agree that any additional weight is a killer, but with lipos available now, possibly one might get away with an on-board unit, to save the spinner from being chewed up by an electric starter. Speaking of the spinner, any preferences as to the best paint for same? I'll be visiting Walmart directly, Gary- thanks for the scoop!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
Last Of The Pelotari
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Well, two months gone by, and we're still at the starting gate. Guess going to Rhinebeck, the N.E.A.T. Fair and a few more warm flying days than normal around here in suburban NY have stalled the launch. Hope to get to it soon...