HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jasmine2501, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Discussion
Slow Stick Build

Here's a link to the first part of my blog: Basic stuff about how I built my Slow Stick.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2007...low-stick.html

I'll post new stuff here if I have anything.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Aug 14, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Glad to see you build a GWS Slow Stick.

How you like our SS?

The link may be miss typed? Can't get into...
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Oct 07, 2007, 09:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Glad to see you build a GWS Slow Stick.

How you like our SS?

The link may be miss typed? Can't get into...
I think if you just click the link it should work. Copying it doesn't work.

I like the Slow Stick very much. It was my first plane and very good to learn with. Now I put a brushless motor on it and a bigger battery and it flies in the wind and for about 30 minutes too. It is very reliable even though I have crashed it twice. It was not damaged in the crash, which is very nice.

I like GWS kits. I have a Funny Park also, and I'm finishing a GWS Formosa tonight if I can find the right motor mount for a brushless. I am at high altitude so I have to upgrade the motors or get more pitch in the propeller usually.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2006
87 Posts
n/a

new picture--looks good
nightbird3 is offline Find More Posts by nightbird3
Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:14 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Hi, I posted a similar question somewhere else but have found your blog and am hoping that you could give me some advice. I have a little field 200' by maybe 400' that I always visualize flying models in. I tried the glo type about 12 years ago with fairly big Sig models and got so I fly them sort of OK on a big field by when I brought them to my field I basically lost a couple over the trees and quit. They were too big and flew too fast. I recently heard about Park Flyers and found the Slow Stick and it looks like it might be slow enough for me to give this one more try.

But there are so many Stick motor options that it is overwhelming. 300, 350, 400, and various brushless. Basically all I want to do at the moment is fly around the field and avoid the trees that border the field. I saw your blog and your equipment list and that is very helpful. I noticed that you are trying a brushless motor. Do you have a suggestion as to where I should start. One fellow suggested the 300 motor and an 800 milliamp lipo battery (I assume 7.4 volts). I would appreciate you opinion also. Will this plane fly in a field the size of mine once I get the hang of it? Thanks
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
It will once you learn how to fly it. I can keep it on a football field, which is 100x50 yards, so 300x150 feet I think. However, if there's trees around, I just fly above them. I don't fear going over trees with my Slow Stick, but I don't let it get out of sight obviously. If you want to fly in a small space then a brushless upgrade is necessary. The extra power will let you do a sharper turn without stalling, and the lighter weight will let you fly a little bit slower. My Slow Stick is not very slow anymore because I'm using a very heavy battery and some ballast on the tail to balance it. Here is the entire current setup:

400XT motor (from Hobby-Lobby)
9x4.5 Thin Electric prop (because of my altitude - a 10x3.8SF might work at sea level)
Castle Thunderbird 18 ESC
1/2 oz lead weight right on the tail end
2 HS55 servos, as far back as they can go
Hitec full-size 6-channel receiver
2200 mAh Apogee Magnum battery (Lithium-Manganese type Lipo - 9 oz.)
Rubber bands and velcro to hold everything together.

I could barely fly it with the 400 motor and stock prop on 3-cells Lipo, but I'm at higher altitude, so you might be able to get away with it. 3-cells Lipo will burn out that motor eventually though. The 400XT is only $25 from Hobby-Lobby, and it makes all the difference in the world.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:05 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks for the info. I maybe could eventually fly above the trees too, but first I have to really practice down low to get controlling the plane instinctive.

I ordered a slow stick today. I bought a fairly cheapo "package" on Ebay attempting to do this "on the cheap". It has a brushless motor (24-10-09?)and 3 cell 1000 mA lipo batteries ( made by China's best company, Ha Ha) , both good I hope, but a cheapo Parkflyer (noname radio) and who knows other stuff. Still at $150 plus shipping it was hard to resist. I spoke with the seller (who has an ebay hobby store) who has been flying for 35 years and seemed to be very nice and seemed to know what he was talking about. And that's all I will be out if I lose it in the woods!

It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I really need to know I can pull this off before I spend a ton of money (having spent a ton of money on a small fleet of Sig balsa build em trainer glo planes about 12 years ago while never REALLY learning how to fly any them. The are all hanger queens dangling from the ceiling and catching dust. (I got interested in this when a string broke causing a crash and busted wing tip). But if I really got good with this stick I bet I could fly them over the woods without losing them.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. It is very helpful to someone who doesn't really know where to turn. The Slow-Stick is particularly confusing as there are so may options and ways to do just about everything.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
No don't do that! Always fly at least 100 feet up above the ground. The ground is the enemy of airplanes and you should stay away from it. If you want to practice get a simulator like FMS... there's a link on my web page:
http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/

There you can find a lot of beginner information and a place to download some more planes for FMS...

BTW, the planes from GWS are some of the best quality on the market, but you do have to build them yourself, and it is easy to screw up the build on some of them if you don't read all the instructions first and picture it in your mind, and be sure exactly what you're going to do before you start to do it. Get out the parts and sit them in front of you while you read the instructions, and be sure to visualize what you're about to do.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks, very good advice. I seem to remember "stay three mistakes high" from my distant past.

I am a fine builder and have built quite a few big balsa rc models and have read all the tutorials on the stick.

It is the flying part I need to master. Hopefully if I am persistant I can figure it out, but the old reflexs are not what they once were.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
While wait for slow stick kit, I reread your construction log and found it helpful, particularly in regard to lipo bat location. Thanks

I also downloaded the free similation version 2,0 alpha 8.5 but when I tried to download slow sticks non seemed to work with this version. Could you recommend what makes the most sense sim wise. Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:35 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
While wait for slow stick kit, I reread your construction log and found it helpful, particularly in regard to lipo bat location. Thanks

I also downloaded the free similation version 2,0 alpha 8.5 but when I tried to download slow sticks non seemed to work with this version. Could you recommend what makes the most sense sim wise. Thanks again.
There is a file that works... mine is tweaked to fly like a brushless overpowered beast... or I'd send it to you. The files are different for 2.8 and the older version. On my blog there is a link to a place that has files for both versions.

Actually, try this file... like I said it's ramped up a bit, but it's similar to the regular one.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
This is super. But I have a story to tell! I just could not get it to work. I went and found another slow stick model that a lot of people seem to use, the one with the opening between the wings. That worked from the git go, but it sure didn't seem like a slow stick, or rather, I was hoping my slow stick would not behave like it did. Stalled at about 15 mph or more, a rocket stick. Anyway, of course at first I couldn't fly it at all, but eventually started to get the hang of it. If it were the real thing, I would have destroyed the entire inventory of tower hobbies. Anyway, a while ago I gave your download one more try, redownloaded it and all, and finally figured out I needed to set the FMS controls with the Aileron going to Channel 1 instead of the Rudder. Success. What a difference between the two models. I think this model is MUCH closer to the real thing, and all my practice with the FAST STICK makes the SLOW STICK even easier to fly. Plus it is much more pleasing to the eye. THANKS so much!!!!! Back to flying now while I wait for the kit. But this sim time has really helped me get coordinated, not that I don't have a ways to go, and not that reality won't still bite.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Cool, glad you got it to work! My files there are like a brushless Slow Stick... less prone to stalls and much faster than the stock motor. The one you're talking about with the gap in the wings is one of the Pico Stick indoor models. My work with FMS has made a lot of difference. I flew my Slow Stick 3 or 4 times, and jumped up to a Strkyer... no problem. People at the club were pretty surprised to say the least.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I put some trees around the edges of the FMS World field to mimic my small field. I have tried to upload it to the Ultimate Slow Stick thread for people to use. You are very correct that it is important to fly above the trees. While I can fly around within the boundries of the field it usually ends in a crash sooner or later, and probably sooner more often than not!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Can you post the link of your landscape editor? I've been wanting to make a landscape of my club field. Thanks