HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:37 AM
Looking for time to fly some
Italy, Lombardy, Varese
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Very nice. It seems we are re-generating a club of "regalists" ;-)
Mine is a 39,5" wingspan and is going to weight (AUW) 21+ oz as well. I'm also sure I don't fly any better than you :-).
As well, I haven't any good place close to home where to fly. We will see where I will go at the end.
I only have available a 2210N 1000Kv (product AX-2210N). Hope it will be enough with a 3S 1300mAh. Not decided yet the prop.
macchp is offline Find More Posts by macchp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
This is exactly the type I like.
whb197929 is offline Find More Posts by whb197929
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:57 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,293 Posts
Here is a video of the maiden flight of my Regal on Jan. 13, 2013. A fellow flyer helped trim it out and then I gave it a go. It does all of the moves that I had hoped and flys very predictable and steady. It could use a little more power than the 2410-09 that I put in it. I think I will fly it the way it is for a while and then upgrade the motor and give it more throws after some practice.

Very good design and fairly easy build. Here is the video let me know what you think:

Regal Maiden (5 min 2 sec)
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Varese
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Great! Congrats for the maiden.
I like it. What's the battery you use?

I'm still far away from having it finished.
In addition the ESC failed just after having glued it into the fuselage, so I have to replace it trying not to destroy what done so far. I tested it before mounting and it was ok.
Mounted, glued in, and re-check to be sure of the rotation direction and .... nothing, the motor does not start. Tries, but fail.
Tested the motor with another ESC, and it works!
Ok, better at home than in the air.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
Here is a video of the maiden flight of my Regal on Jan. 13, 2013. A fellow flyer helped trim it out and then I gave it a go. It does all of the moves that I had hoped and flys very predictable and steady. It could use a little more power than the 2410-09 that I put in it. I think I will fly it the way it is for a while and then upgrade the motor and give it more throws after some practice.

Very good design and fairly easy build. Here is the video let me know what you think:

https://vimeo.com/57630609
few questions.
1) what kind of foamboard did you use.
2) did you do the tiled or full plans.
question to everyone- Will a 33in regal still fly well/work?
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
Out the Window
Joined Jul 2004
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macchp View Post
Great! Congrats for the maiden.
I like it. What's the battery you use?
I was using a 1200 3s battery lipo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
few questions.
1) what kind of foamboard did you use.
2) did you do the tiled or full plans.
question to everyone- Will a 33in regal still fly well/work?
1) I used Dow Protrection Board. It is about 1/4 thick blue foam.
2) I used the tiled plans and taped them together. It is full size 40" wingspan with a few changes on the landing gear placement.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
few questions.
3)question to everyone- Will a 33in regal still fly well/work?
Yes, maybe... 33" is 82.5% of full size. If you scale down the weight more than 82.5% it should still fly great. The reason I say more than 82.5% is because the smaller a plane gets, the lower the wing loading needs to be for the slow floaty flight that the regal is designed for. Also, the lower the wing loading and the smaller the plane, the more susceptible to wind it will be.

The other big consideration is that the battery compartment on this plane is tight so be sure that when scaled down, your lipo will still fit.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
I was using a 1200 3s battery lipo.

1) I used Dow Protrection Board. It is about 1/4 thick blue foam.
2) I used the tiled plans and taped them together. It is full size 40" wingspan with a few changes on the landing gear placement.
Thats what i thought u used. I wish they still made that foam.
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:41 PM
Out the Window
Joined Jul 2004
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Thats what i thought u used. I wish they still made that foam.
Last time I looked they still had 4 or 5 bundles at our local Lowes in Alachua, Fl.. IThe gas from Ga would make the foam a little high in cost! I purchased an extra bundle when they were saying that it was going to be hard to get in the future.

Ray
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Varese
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Finally finished! ... almost

Yesterday, finally, I finished the building of my x-Regal

She still miss the Landing Gear, but I want to find a clever way to avoid weels and to make it sliding on the grass w/o damaging prop/fuselage.
I have to sleep over it some nigths, and will see what will sort out

Final specs are:
AUW= 617g (21,7oz) including a 3S 1300mAh battery
wing span= 95cm (39,4")
motor= 2210N 1000Kv
Prop= 9x4,7 SF (the biggest I have on hand)

I have also some 8X6 I'm using on the Piper Cub. I'll test it in case I won't like this one

BTW, here is snowing, so I'll maiden (crash?) later ... as soon spring will come up

here some picts, any comment welcome!

Last edited by macchp; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
GAB Group Italy
Italy, Lombardy, Bagnolo San Vito
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Italian Regal

this my new model "Regal"
really precise and beautiful
I thank you for the detailed project.
Cheers Pier

Setup:
brushless motor: black magic 2814-06 1330Kv 500W
esc: ztw 65A sbec5A
prop: 9x6 apc
servos: 2xTower Pro SG90 micro Lead (ail) hitec hs 85mg+ (ele) parkzone 1060 (rud)
Lipo Battery: 3s machpro 1950 mah 35c
Kg:0,660

my small masterpiece !

p.s. I thank for the suggestions the friends of the GAB (Gruppo Aeromodellistico Bagnolese) Mantova-Italy

video:
Regal - (www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712006) (1 min 40 sec)
pier linetti is offline Find More Posts by pier linetti
Last edited by pier linetti; Mar 11, 2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: new video
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,841 Posts
Ray: what pitch on your 10" prop? I have a 2410-09 as well and it's got tons of torque, so I use the highest pitch prop I can find ( happened to be a 9x7.5) and she handles it fine on tony's P40. Not a rocket, but pitch compensates done for the low kv. (that's with a 1300 or. 1500 3s pack)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
Out the Window
Joined Jul 2004
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Ray: what pitch on your 10" prop? I have a 2410-09 as well and it's got tons of torque, so I use the highest pitch prop I can find ( happened to be a 9x7.5) and she handles it fine on tony's P40. Not a rocket, but pitch compensates done for the low kv. (that's with a 1300 or. 1500 3s pack)
I am using a 10 X 4.7 EP. I have not thought about changing props, but I do have some 10 X 6 DD. I will have to give it a try. Maybe I should check how many amps it draws with the motor. I also have some 9 X 5 DD. I am running a 1300 3s battery.

Proping up would sure be easy compared to changing out the motor.

On last Sunday one of the guys that I fly with gave my Regal a fly. He is one of the better 3-D flyers where we fly. It was really amazing watching him fly the Regal. The airplane is a MUCH better flyer than I am a pilot!!! He did say it could use more power and more throw on the rudder for knife edge flight. I have the throws tuned down some while I am getting aquainted with the Regal. My wife shot some video of his flying my Regal and I have watched it several times...quite nice. I should post it here to show how great the Regal flys with the right imputs.

Thanks springer for the idea, I will give the 10 X 6 DD a whirl, if you don't think it will be too much of a load on the motor.

Ray
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,841 Posts
Generally, "they say" and I've found that increasing prop diameter loads up a motor way more than increasing pitch, so since you are only running a less than half square (10x10 would be square), I don't think it will hurt. I just remembered I also ran 2meter gliders (Gentle Lady and Aspire) with that motor and 10x8folding props and they would climb out at better than a 45deg angle at good speed. Now I wasn't running them all the time like a conventional plane, but you won't run yours full out either I suspect. I find that if I'm under pitched, that the plane will speed up to a particular airspeed (typically less than I think it should or that I like) and putter around while motor is running WOT. At first it looks like underpowered, but eventually I figure out that the motor is just loafing, and i up the pitch.Usually that makes it come alive. On the other hand, on the recently finished OSE, I ran an Emax 2812 with an 8x6 prop, and I thought she flew fine (did great short takeoffs, decent flying), but in discussions, I was told I might be over propping at that diameter, so switched to an apc style 7x6. Hmmm. faster top speed but slightly longer take off runs. Probably a better balance with the smaller diameter, same pitch. We live and learn.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Varese
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Maiden my xRegal, yesterday. Very happy! She flies!!
Even if not all things went good. Starting from a very calm and sunny day turning in a gusty windy just when ready for the maiden.

Lot of other wrong things happened.
First: even if checked three times, on the first flight was pretty dificult to make her turning right. Landed, i discovered the rudder was reversed. Shame on me, what the hell i checked!
Second flight was pretty good, but she is more "floating" than flying. It's like tail heavy, but the CG is 3,5cm ahead of the step, even more advanced than what suggested. The power plant seems under powered. I'm not sure what to do.
Third flight was with a bigger prop, a 10 X4,7 SF, but i dislike it, it seems with less power than with the 9X4,7.
Back on the original prop and fourth hand launch. I was trimming it in a slow passage to kep her level, when by mistake i flip the flight phase switch to a wrong position (not set for this plane) and the wrong mix flap/ elevator put her on the groung in a fraction of a second.
Left aileron stripped out and a crack in the fuselage were the damages. All in all, i'm happy for the first day.
She is already repaired but today it was lighlty raining.
Next week end or more trimming.