HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
127 Posts
Success!

I recenly finished my first Regal and have to let you know that it is really, really a blast to fly! This plane is my first that I can put up in the air and just go crazy with. It is an amazing combination of maneuverability and stability. My only fear is that I'll crash it soon due to overconfidence.

I used the 2410-09Y motor from headsuprc.com ( http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail ).

I started with a GWS 11x47 prop but am having even more fun with the 11x70, which seems to have more pep.

3s 1300 mah battery.

Many thanks to Kaos for a tremendous airplane and to all of you who have shared your experiences and photos in this thread!
cityseagull is offline Find More Posts by cityseagull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:11 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Sep 2008
226 Posts
Quick question- would a waypoint w-e2212-26 brushless be a decent motor for this plane?? I picked 1 up in a package deal and it seems like a well- built motor and it seems a shame to let it sit in my parts box. Thanks for any and all responses.
sidecar53 is offline Find More Posts by sidecar53
Last edited by sidecar53; Nov 08, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:53 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar53 View Post
Quick question- would a waypoint w-e2212-26 brushless be a decent motor for this plane?? I picked 1 up in a package deal and it seems like a well- built motor and it seems a shame to let it sit in my parts box. Thanks for any and all responses.
If it'll turn an 11 X 4.7 slow flight prop, then yes. If not, then no. I'm not familier with that motor.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2004
51 Posts
Follow-up on 150% regal 9/11/09 post

Finishes Regal #3, first and only flight lasted < 5 seconds....loose double sided tape on aileron servo, lots of power into deck. Regal #4, 150% finished and now with 2 fliights. Almost without trim. Wonderful flier. At 68 oz all up weight goes vertical at 30% power. Much throw on controls but calm to handle. Lookiing forward to future fun. Photos included
low down and dry is offline Find More Posts by low down and dry
Last edited by low down and dry; Nov 23, 2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:59 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
WOW! Now that the size I am looking to built, 60'' WS right?What material used? What kind of power? battery? Please let us know more.Any video? Thank you in advance.
Matk
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2004
51 Posts
150% Regal is 60" span. Material is fan fold foam, old type with 2 skins, doubled thickness on tail feathers. Only wood is 3/16 ply fire wall, 1/8 ply plates on outside of fuse. for landing gear mount, and 3/4x1/8x48 bass wood spar with foam extensions to the spar to reach the tips. Placed a 36" arrow shaft in the wing about 3" back from LE and glued it to top and bottom skins. Wing butt joined in center with PU glue only. Paint is H 2 O and short cuts spray cans. Weight about 68 oz with 2100 5s. Motor is 4260-500kv and it is a real winner, so far. Using 2100 5s and 3900 5s made up from 3s and 2s in series. 4 minutes of flight uses about 1300 mah. Recommended props are 15x10 on 6s, 17x10 on 5s, and up to 20" props on 4 cells. Using 16x8 for about 3' to 5' take offs, will go vertical on less than 40%, loop all day at 50% throttle. Would fly out of my hand, knife edge loop if I knew how. Could handle floats? I love fan fold foam, thank you Kaos2.
low down and dry is offline Find More Posts by low down and dry
Last edited by low down and dry; Nov 23, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:23 PM
Imlay City, MI
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
I just finished my first Regal, scaled it down to 30" w/s and built from 6mm depron. Maidened it tonight just before dark. Seems like it's gonna be a great plane. Thanks much for the plans. I'll post pics tomorrow. Can't wait till I have more time to fly it!!!!
icsteve is offline Find More Posts by icsteve
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:27 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
I have been following this thread, as well as the Regal Bipe thread, and will be building one or the other, just not sure which yet, I have a buddy Whom i will be bartering with, I build his planes, he gives me power setups and other gear.

I will be acquiring the gear out of a smashed Parkzone Typhoon, the original one, with the PZ 400BL 15T motor on a 8:1 gearbox, and want to put it in one of these, coupled to the stock ESC and battery form the Typhoon.

The power system seems to be perfect for this plane, or the Bipe, the only questions are,

Which one is slower and more forgiving? Which is able to handle more wind?

I like both, and will probably build both before too long, but I'm up in arms as to which to build first, I need something that can handle the constant 10-15 mph winds that will NOT go away around the Okemo Valley here in VT.
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:47 PM
den bach
USA, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
i have built 2 regal biplanes I love them but they don't love the wind
I don't know if a single wing would be any better
den bach is offline Find More Posts by den bach
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Dec 2001
52 Posts
Breeze yes, wind no.

My Regal is a tad heavy and I can fly it in a light breeze (10mph maybe, I'm guessing here??) but it requires more effort to fly and it will jump around on you. You might want to add more nose weight or a larger battery on the windy days.

At 20 mph it'll be too squirrelly for sure - this is a 3-D plane, not a sloper.
KenmoreKid is offline Find More Posts by KenmoreKid
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
Malta
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
Hello Kaos2. I have been reading through all posts and by the testomonies written this seems to be a great plane to fly. Congratulations. I have 2 questions.
1. How do the sizes effect the flying ie. say .... does the 40" fly fly more sedately than the smaller versions ? Why choose one size over another?
2. Is there an acad version (.dwg) of the drawings rather than a .pdf? I hate printing and building from tiled copies.
Thanks for any comments you make.
Tony
atmamo is offline Find More Posts by atmamo
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmamo View Post
Hello Kaos2. I have been reading through all posts and by the testomonies written this seems to be a great plane to fly. Congratulations. I have 2 questions.
1. How do the sizes effect the flying ie. say .... does the 40" fly fly more sedately than the smaller versions ? Why choose one size over another?
2. Is there an acad version (.dwg) of the drawings rather than a .pdf? I hate printing and building from tiled copies.
Thanks for any comments you make.
Tony
Glad you're enjoying reading about the Regal. The stability of a given aircraft design is effected by size and mass. A large foamie is more stable than a small foamie. A built-up wood or composite RC plane is more stable than a foamie. A 1/4 scale RC model is more stable than a 1/8 scale. And, full size is more stable than models. Again, this assumes that the design of the aircraft remains the same as the size and materials change. Remember, ALL aircraft of any size fly on full scale size molecules of air.

The main reason for selecting the 40" wingspan was because this plane was designed to be flown outside. Bigger airplanes are easier to see. Also, the motor and battery options for this size were very inexpensive and common.

Sorry, the only plans available are the PDF's posted.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:20 AM
Malta
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the clear explanation. I will go for the 40" then. Will work from the full plan then and redraw to size.
atmamo is offline Find More Posts by atmamo
Last edited by atmamo; Feb 20, 2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Add to thanks
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Which Regal

I have a 36" wingspan regal, which is the largest I get in my car. Mine is the extended version which is more of a sport plane as the regular version is probably closer to 3D version. The difference is ext. the plane is a little longer with the same wingspan. So check this out if you want that type of plane.
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
sorry im new to building planes but really want to start with this one. One questions, what size and type of foam is everyone using?
Slane15 is offline Find More Posts by Slane15