HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Nice paint job. She looks great. Of course, if you'd painted it red it would fly faster.

Tony

Ah...........But if she were red, would she still be able to fly as slow as she does?

Thanks 30V2, Dickeroo, and Tony.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Sooooooo,..........I'm just curious. Is anyone building the Regal? Mine is one of the best planes I've ever flown in over 26 years of RC flying. I was surprised!

I made the plans available to anyone who wants to build the Regal just to offer something back to RCG, and those who participate here. Like I said, I'm just curious. It's not like I get royalties for each one built.

I can assist with pictures and info if anyone has building questions.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Building Regal

Kaos,
In response to your build question. I'm very intrigued with your build of a true KF winged aircraft. The videos show a very nice flying craft. I thought the styling nice, as well. I generally fly smaller planes, though. And have a backlog of projects, who doesn't.
I'm encouraged though, to try a KF airfoil on a similar bird, but smaller. I've got a 26" span, blue foam Chipmunk (BlueChip) cut out already. My own design. Was to be a 440 airfoil, but, I will probably add the KF features to the wing, and give it a try. Planned to put a Park 250/2S 700mAH, with full house controls.

Thanks for the inspiration. May actually complete this one soon.
If it flys as nicely as your Regal, I'll probably scale a Regal down a bit, to fly with a UH Blue Wonder, after some of these other projects are finished.

Al
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Yep it's my next build, reduced to 36". Plans are taped up.,

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
Kaos , not to worry .... The problem with all these planes is, we all have a long waiting list of things to build and fly ... not unusual for a couple week (or month ) delay ... Be patient !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
A very nice looking plane and very ingenious wing design.

If you have access to table and a band saw, you can make your own spars for next to nothing. Most LHS spars cost $1 or more per piece. You can produce a lifetimes supply for around $3 with a visit to your local lumber store or free if you know someone building a house.

Look at the construction lumber which come in various sizes like 2X4, 2X6 etc. A 8' or 9' stud will likely cost a few dollars and you can pick one with a nice tight grain pattern.

If you have access to Doug Fir, this will give you the tightest and straightest grain but a bit heavier then the pines/spruce. Since we are dealing with very light aircraft, you don't need super mondo strength so just about any species of lumber will work given the right grain.

Cut the lumber into strips and voila - lots of spars.

Another option is to look at some doug fir vertical grain clear flooring. A few 3' pieces will likely cost peanuts or free if you can go the 'sample' route. Slice these up and you have ideal material for spars.

My biggest problem is no one in Canada sells thin blue foam so have to look at cutting from thicker slabs. A big smelly nuisance.

Anyone have a good DC power supply for nichrome wire for cutting foam?

Jerry
mysticplayer is offline Find More Posts by mysticplayer
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:43 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticplayer
Anyone have a good DC power supply for nichrome wire for cutting foam?
Try a car battery charger. I use the low 2 amp setting with a 2 foot bow, to cut white styro foam (eps). Still haven't needed the high 6 amp setting yet, but I figure it will be good when I need a longer bow.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Mystic.

GPW, no worries here. I have my Regal.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
I thought I'd post a copy of Flynfrog's KF spreadsheet that I tweaked a bit. I split up the english and metric calculations to separate tabs. I also added a tab with an english example for using the spreadsheet. The metric info was just cut and pasted to a different tab (no modifications). Also, the data that should not be changed is protected from accidental editing on the example tab and the engilsh tab. There is no password, so anyone can turn off the protection for their own editing. Hopefully someone likes the changes I made and finds the tutorial example helpful. Also, I hope flynfrog doesn't mind that I messed around a bit with his spreadsheet.

I'm also interested in any feedback/suggestions you may have.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 06:25 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Hi Kaos2,

You asked, "Is anyone building the Regal?" I kept quiet because I am kind of a perfectionist, so sometimes even simple projects don't get finished. But with that in mind, yea. I see alot of potential here and plan to build one. Will let you know when there are some results.

One thing about the plans. I printed out the two elevator sheets and the lines are so light, I can bearly see them. This is with a HP Laserjet 5. Is it just me? Anyone else have this problem? I have printed out a different set of plans a few days ago and it worked just fine.

-Kwok
Old Aug 03, 2007, 07:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
Hi Kaos2,

You asked, "Is anyone building the Regal?" I kept quiet because I am kind of a perfectionist, so sometimes even simple projects don't get finished. But with that in mind, yea. I see alot of potential here and plan to build one. Will let you know when there are some results.

One thing about the plans. I printed out the two elevator sheets and the lines are so light, I can bearly see them. This is with a HP Laserjet 5. Is it just me? Anyone else have this problem? I have printed out a different set of plans a few days ago and it worked just fine.

-Kwok
I'll look into the potential for adjusting the line weight, but I don't think I have any control over the way the CAD drawings lines are converted to PDF. I would suggest that if this seems to be a problem, ensure that the print properties are set to maximum DPI before printing. I've printed out 2 sets of plans from the files with a HP Photosmart 7660 and found no issue with the lines. Also, I would encourage anyone planning to build The Regal, to re-download the files just before printing. As I get feedback, I update the files with changes. I've also included additional building details.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 07:23 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
My electronics came in today
Took some time out of my busy schedule to get my radio programmed, and play with the motor. I had to drill new holes to get it to fit on the mount that came with it . The body can now start to come together, VERY slowly.
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:36 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Kaos2,

Got a question. Your thrust line, wing & elevator don't line up. I probably won't be using a stick mount, so I was thinking of moving the motor down. And at the same time the elevator up, on top of the crutch. Any reason I shouldn't?

-Kwok
Old Aug 03, 2007, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
Kaos2,

Got a question. Your thrust line, wing & elevator don't line up. I probably won't be using a stick mount, so I was thinking of moving the motor down. And at the same time the elevator up, on top of the crutch. Any reason I shouldn't?

-Kwok
I can see no reason that you shouldn't give it a try.

I'd be curious if you'd share how how your plane flies. I'd be particularly interested in the inverted flight performance (how much down elevator to fly level).
Old Aug 04, 2007, 01:36 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Stupid question, but I've never worked with this stuff before: Can you sand this foam?

If not, how did yall get your lines so smooth, and get the bevels for the aileron and elevator hinges?
Is so, I have to go to hobby lobby to get the spruce spar for mounting the motor, so what grain sandpaper should I pick up?

More progress since last night:
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody