SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Tip: Hobby Lobby 40% Off Coupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2
I used a 1/8" X 3/8" spruce 36" long for the step because, you need something the correct height to create the step. This makes a very strong wing. No other reinforcement is necessary. I purchased my spruce stock at my local Hobby Lobby.
Tip: Hobby Lobby, www.hobbylobby.com, currently has a "40% off" coupon, usually offered on alternate weeks.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:35 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Would the lift be offset by the Drag penalty ...? Sure a great way to strengthen the fuselage nose...but then ,it's more of a Doubler...and may create a stress riser if ended abruptly..??? Hmmmm???? What about an angled or even curved ending (TE)of the fuse KF strip ... flowing into the fuselage lines???? Experimenting with LAR KF ,these issues arise frequently ...Really Nice plane Kaos...!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:41 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
When you guys buy your spruce , make sure the grain runs straight from one end to the other..grain feathering /slash grain running out is practically worthless for a spar ...read the wood !!! We always buy our wood at the LHS so we can see/select the good stuff and eliminate the junk...otherwise a bad spar wood is just weak dead weight ... FYI...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:27 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
When you guys buy your spruce , make sure the grain runs straight from one end to the other..grain feathering /slash grain running out is practically worthless for a spar ...read the wood !!! We always buy our wood at the LHS so we can see/select the good stuff and eliminate the junk...otherwise a bad spar wood is just weak dead weight ... FYI...
Excellent point, GPW. I look at several pieces sometimes before I select one to purchase. If there seems to be a lot of good spar stock in a batch, I pick up several to have on hand. In addition to what GPW suggested, I'd also add that the tighter the grain (more lines) the stronger the spar will be, so I select based upon the direction the grain is running and the grain density.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Would the lift be offset by the Drag penalty ...? Sure a great way to strengthen the fuselage nose...but then ,it's more of a Doubler...and may create a stress riser if ended abruptly..??? Hmmmm???? What about an angled or even curved ending (TE)of the fuse KF strip ... flowing into the fuselage lines???? Experimenting with LAR KF ,these issues arise frequently ...Really Nice plane Kaos...!!!
GPW, thanks for your kind words about the plane.

As far as my experimental version of the Regal goes, you can see by the attached picture that the plane I created has the step designed into the fuselage foam. Since it's not really a doubler, I doubt that my design would be any stronger than any other plane. The theory being tested here is to see if a vortex of air will form behind the step in the fuselage with the normal airstream passing by virtually frictionless, and thus reducing drag. Then there's the whole "lift thing" when flying knife edge. We'll see.

If I've misunderstood your post, please clarify.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
COOL !!! Hope it works as planned ... !!! another trick to put in the box...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Spruce huh. Well, I already glued the arrow in, so hopefully it won't be too heavy. I don't know how it would compare to the weight of a spruce spar.

EDIT: Just weighed the wing without ailerons, and it's 3.25oz, hope that isn't too heavy.
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
You guys need to weigh everything you put it on a plane , just so you'll know what's heavy and what's not ...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Spruce huh. Well, I already glued the arrow in, so hopefully it won't be too heavy. I don't know how it would compare to the weight of a spruce spar.

EDIT: Just weighed the wing without ailerons, and it's 3.25oz, hope that isn't too heavy.
I doubt that the weight will be an issue since the Regal has a lot of wing area. If you want to compare the weight of your arrow shaft vs. the spruce, one of my 1/8" X 3/8" X 36" spars weighs .5 oz. The reason for the 3/8 dimension was to get a step that was nearly 5/8" above the top side of the wing bottom sheet.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:19 AM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Finally, Regal Paint

I finally got my Regal painted. I like to keep my leading edges of the wing a light color so the wing doesn't vanish from view when I drop below the tree line flying low. I also like a paint scheme that shows up well in flight, and that provides a significant difference between the upright and inverted appearance. Oh, and I like to keep it simple! I think this color scheme satisfies my rules.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 01:51 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Wow that looks awesome! What did you paint it with? I love the color changes between sections, very cool!
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Last edited by TrumpetRhapsody; Jul 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Wow that looks awesome? What did you paint it with? I love the color changes between sections, very cool!
I paint all of my foam planes with common water based acrylic paint that's available at most craft stores. It can be thinned and shot on with an airbrush or applied with a paintbrush. This particular job was applied using masking tape and a paintbrush.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:45 AM
My mCPX BL is my sim!
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined Jun 2007
201 Posts
Wow! She's looking good! I can't wait to get some paint on mine.
30v2 is offline Find More Posts by 30v2
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:50 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,206 Posts
Terrific paint job.

Hey, Ralph Lauren, step aside. Kaos2 is coming through. I can't wait to see that plane in the air doing its thing with those sharp graphics.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Nice paint job. She looks great. Of course, if you'd painted it red it would fly faster.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55