SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:44 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Thanks! Yeah I'm just trying to get the body done so I can spend the week actually doing something productive while waiting for my electronics to get in.

Do you think hobby lobby or walmart would have Foamsafe CA? (I hope I hope I hope ). If not I'll have to order some and wait for it to come in along with my electronics.
I've never heard of Foamsafe CA at Walmart. Hobby Lobby is probably a possibility, but I'd call first. I've never seen it there either.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Registered User
TrumpetRhapsody's Avatar
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Yeah the best they had is this "Hold the Foam!" stuff. It's water soluable, but I don't plan on any water landings anyway so it'll have to do for now. I ordered some cheap cheap cheap foam glue from unitedhobbies, so I'll use that in the future, and maybe use it to re-enforce this plane after it's done.
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Last edited by TrumpetRhapsody; Jul 21, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Yeah the best they had is this "Hold the Foam!" stuff. It's water soluable, but I don't plan any water landings anyway so it'll have to do for now. I ordered some cheap cheap cheap foam glue from unitedhobbies, so I'll use that in the future, and maybe use it to re-enforce this plane after it's done.
If you can tape, pin, or press the parts together until they dry, Gorilla or Sumo glue works great on foam.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Slow Flight Video

I didn't think to perform any real slow flight while recording the first video of the Regal. Since I think the Regal has excellent slow flight characteristics, I decided to post a short video of 3 high alpha slow flight passes, and one slow flight approach to a landing. (at least I have the canopy painted now )

Regal Slow Flight Demo Video
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Tony65x55's Avatar
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Remarkable slow flight. Congratulations. Will the KFm Blu-Baby fly that slow.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Abuser
ziomatrixacs's Avatar
Joined Oct 2006
2,375 Posts
how much wing area does that thing have?
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Remarkable slow flight. Congratulations. Will the KFm Blu-Baby fly that slow.

Tony
Nope. I've tried to find the limits of non-harrier slow flight with the Blu-Baby and it's slow, but not as slow as the Regal. It does handle very similarly, just a bit faster.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs
how much wing area does that thing have?
Wingspan - 40" The wing extends 19" out from the fuselage on each side. The root chord is 12 1/2" and the wingtip chord is 10". According to my calculations, there's a total of 428.75 sq. inches of flying area (not counting the wing area buried inside the fuselage).
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
Registered User
praymond's Avatar
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
WOw that really flies nicely at slow speeds!! Another KF succes story. Great vids and flying.

I'm going to make a 36" version, hope to use an Esskay400xt on it. RCG member WindyCity reduced the palns for me. Thanks Fred!

This'll be my 3rd KF build, really like the no-stall properties of that wing.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:59 AM
Registered User
TrumpetRhapsody's Avatar
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Wow that video is awesome! Can't wait to get mine built. I'm especially glad I picked this plane now that I saw that video. This is exactly what I wanted for my first foamie build. High angle low speed passes down the runway, slow acrobatics and such.

I was at the field today, and I've been informed that apparently we have a hobby town and that they carry foam safe CA, so I'll be going by there tomorrow to get some. Awhile back somebody else told me they closed down in our city a year or two ago, but apparently not.

So what is the whole theory behind the KF step wing? I was explaining the design of the regal to a foamie guy at the field today, and got to the part about the KF step (he had never heard of it), and couldn't fully explain how it worked. Does it just give the wing more contour as opposed to the normal flat sheet of bluecore, or is there something special about the sharpness of the step?
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
WOw that really flies nicely at slow speeds!! Another KF succes story. Great vids and flying.

I'm going to make a 36" version, hope to use an Esskay400xt on it. RCG member WindyCity reduced the palns for me. Thanks Fred!

This'll be my 3rd KF build, really like the no-stall properties of that wing.

Paul
Thanks for the comments about the plane & vid.

Be sure to keep us posted on your Regal build and flying. I think you'll really enjoy the plane.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
Wow that video is awesome! Can't wait to get mine built. I'm especially glad I picked this plane now that I saw that video. This is exactly what I wanted for my first foamie build. High angle low speed passes down the runway, slow acrobatics and such.

I was at the field today, and I've been informed that apparently we have a hobby town and that they carry foam safe CA, so I'll be going by there tomorrow to get some. Awhile back somebody else told me they closed down in our city a year or two ago, but apparently not.

So what is the whole theory behind the KF step wing? I was explaining the design of the regal to a foamie guy at the field today, and got to the part about the KF step (he had never heard of it), and couldn't fully explain how it worked. Does it just give the wing more contour as opposed to the normal flat sheet of bluecore, or is there something special about the sharpness of the step?
Trumpet, I've attached a PDF file that I hope explains what I believe is happening with this airfoil shape. There's a whole thread devoted to the KF- Kline-Fogelman flying wing. If you read that thread, you'll get a bunch of information to wade through on the KF 'foil, and how different people think it works. The attached PDF drawing is my crude attempt to generally explain what I think is happening. I believe there's much more actually going on with the wing than the drawing depicts. Since the airfoil shape is completed by "air", I believe that the airfoil dynamically changes shape as the speed of the aircraft or angle of attack changes. This is possible because the rotating vortex is free to increase or decrease in size. Since this airfoil dynamically changes automatically, you're always flying with the best possible airfoil shape based upon your wingspan, chord, and step location/height. If the theory I hold is correct, it explains why the airfoil can fly extremely well, both very fast, or very slow. Remember, this is the theory I have, and is by no means proven or necessarily exclusive.

I hope you find it useful.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Last edited by Kaos2; Aug 03, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Uploaded a better diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
Registered User
TrumpetRhapsody's Avatar
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Ah that makes sense, cool. I'll have to pick through all that data too, looks pretty interesting.
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
Registered User
TrumpetRhapsody's Avatar
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
I just got an aluminum arrow to use as the wing re-enforcement. After cutting off the ends and shaving off the feathers, it weighs 24g. How does that weight compare to the wooden dowels you guys are using? It's about 28.25 inches long, so that'll leave about 6" at each wingtip not re-enforced. You think that'll be ok?
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:58 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
Kaos2's Avatar
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
I just got an aluminum arrow to use as the wing re-enforcement. After cutting off the ends and shaving off the feathers, it weighs 24g. How does that weight compare to the wooden dowels you guys are using? It's about 28.25 inches long, so that'll leave about 6" at each wingtip not re-enforced. You think that'll be ok?
The plans do NOT call for dowels, and I caution against using them for the wing. Dowel is made from regular pine, which is too soft for the spar application.

I used a 1/8" X 3/8" spruce 36" long for the step because, you need something the correct height to create the step. This makes a very strong wing. No other reinforcement is necessary. I purchased my spruce stock at my local Hobby Lobby.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mugi coroplast wing - free plans surfimp Flying Wings 88 Mar 28, 2014 03:15 AM
Build Log “BigNasty” Full fuse, full wing. Free Plans and Build Guide. WaterDog Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 959 Mar 10, 2014 10:52 AM
Any free plans for a flying wing? BJAZ Foamies (Kits) 3 Feb 03, 2005 04:49 PM
SlowStick w/Ailerons & Sym. Wing - VIDEO/PICS inside USSfishkiller Parkflyers 9 Nov 19, 2003 09:41 PM
sorta Horten--flying wing....FREE PLANS gpw Foamies (Kits) 16 Aug 11, 2002 12:14 PM