HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
26 Posts
Regal fills the bill for me. Just a great model. Thankyou.
Dsanteefly@cs.com
Donald Santee is offline Find More Posts by Donald Santee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
What size piano wire did you guys use?
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
Is the consensus on the KF step that it works equally well on top or bottom?
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRhapsody
What size piano wire did you guys use?
.062 piano wire. I don't recommend using a smaller diameter for the gear. If one wanted to save a bit of weight, they could use 2mm carbon fiber like the Infineon uses.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrrEagle!
Is the consensus on the KF step that it works equally well on top or bottom?
I haven't put a step-on-the-bottom KF wing in a plane yet, so I won't say that I know for sure. Since this Regal wing has no dihedral, and it flies very well inverted with minimal down elevator, I can see no reason that a step on the bottom wouldn't work just as good. When rolling the Regal inverted, we have not experienced any increased lift or drag penalty that had been reported on some other KF threads. Our experience is that it flies very similar a symmetrical airfoil, but has some GREAT slow speed characteristics as well.

Hope this helped.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:21 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Hmm maybe i'll look at the CF for the control rods then, thanks.

Ah this is driving me crazy, I want to build it now! I almost went out and got the blucore on my lunch break, then I was like wait, I don't have a motor or anything... why? lol
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Well I couldn't control myself. I just bought a pack of 50' of bluecore for $32, and I'm gonna work on getting stuff cut out tonight . What can I say, I'm weak
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Video - My Experimental Stepped Fuselage Regal

Well folks, I finally finished assembly of a modified fuselage design for the Regal, and got a maiden flight in tonight. The modification is the addition of fuselage steps at the same point as the wing steps. I'm interested to see if there is any significant reduction in drag, or any increased lift during knife edge flight. I had to make a slight profile change to the fuselage due to where the step on the wing is located. While I was at it, I tweaked the front end a bit, and copied the Infineon's attachment method of the rudder. I doubt anyone will want to build this version of the Regal, but I can make the plans available if I'm wrong.

Before you look at the video, please remember that I'm NOT by any means a 3D pilot. I just like to play around with sporty good flying aerobatic airplanes. The second thing to remember is that this is a maiden flight. I only flew for about 7 min., and the video is nearly 5 minutes long, so there isn't much cut out.

I'm very pleased with this plane. It flies like the original Regal, so what's not to like? I won't be able to really tell if the stepped fuselage creates much of an impact on the flight characteristics until I can get together with my son (30V2). Then we'll each be able to fly both planes and evaluate the stepped fuselage vs. standard fuselage.

Hope you enjoy the video and pictures. Now I need to get some paint on the plane!

Experimental Stepped Fuselage Regal Maiden Flight Video
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
My mCPX BL is my sim!
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined Jun 2007
201 Posts
Quote:
Well I couldn't control myself. I just bought a pack of 50' of bluecore for $32, and I'm gonna work on getting stuff cut out tonight . What can I say, I'm weak
Great! I look forward to hearing more about how it goes.
30v2 is offline Find More Posts by 30v2
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2
Well folks, I finally finished assembly of a modified fuselage design for the Regal, and got a maiden flight in tonight. The modification is the addition of fuselage steps at the same point as the wing steps. I'm interested to see if there is any significant reduction in drag, or any increased lift during knife edge flight.

Experimental Stepped Fuselage Regal Maiden Flight Video
Excellent Kaos. Dick Kline and I talked at length about the addition of fuselage steps for the purpose of generating lift during knife edge flight. Please keep us posted on your conclusions. Great airplane my friend!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed. An excellent video of an excellent aircraft. My biggest kudos to you, The Regal is an EXCELLENT aircraft. Seriously, accolades pale. That is one of the smoothest aerobatic planes I've ever seen. I love the high alfa pass and th KFm parachute maneuver. The low speed capability with the KFm wing is outstanding too. Certainly puts a Formosa to shame.

Well done Rich,

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Wow! I'm impressed. An excellent video of an excellent aircraft. My biggest kudos to you, The Regal is an EXCELLENT aircraft. Seriously, accolades pale. That is one of the smoothest aerobatic planes I've ever seen. I love the high alfa pass and th KFm parachute maneuver. The low speed capability with the KFm wing is outstanding too. Certainly puts a Formosa to shame.

Well done Rich,

Tony
Thanks Tony. After the flight I realized that I didn't try any Harrier flying for the video. That really shows off the forgiving slow speed flight well. Oh well, next time maybe.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Just finished getting everything cut out. Now I just have to get/find some foamie glue... Hobby lobby?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Just finished getting everything cut out. Now I just have to get/find some foamie glue... Hobby lobby?
Things are looking great, Trumpet. Since you seem to be in the fast lane working on this plane, some foamsafe CA and a bottle of kicker (accelerator) will have you flying in no time.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I'm just trying to get the body done so I can spend the week actually doing something productive while waiting for my electronics to get in.

Do you think hobby lobby or walmart would have Foamsafe CA? (I hope I hope I hope ). If not I'll have to order some and wait for it to come in along with my electronics.