Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
Smi
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
Discussion
Thoughts on an Alany MM - and a plea for help?

Hello there...apologies in advance, this might be rather long! I've been reading lots of threads and have lots of things to say...hope this is the right place as I'm new here! This is my first RC flying thing, too.

I saw the MM in the Iwantoneofthose.com catalogue and...well, I wanted one of them! so when I saw one being offered for £15 instead of £70 I jumped at the chance - needless to say this is before I read all this stuff about the Alany clones and the whole fiasco surrounding this wonderful little machine. I tried to cancel the order - I really did - but it was dispatched hours after ordering. So mine is an Alany clone. Sorry, petter!

I've read every thread I can find on the MM on this forum and have tweaked a number of things already to make it fly better. So far, it's been wonderful fun! I was slightly disheartened at first and wondered if I couldn't have spent the money better (wasting money worries me, I'm just silly so ignore that!) but the more I've played with it and tinkered, the more fun I've had! So, it just goes to show, really. The yawing problems aren't too evident. Slight bit of right adjustment and its fine - doesn't seem to change much during the flight, either. Only right at the end of the battery does it seem to drop away to the right a bit more. Talking of battery life - fantastic! I haven't timed it, but it seems very long. Fifteen minutes, maybe. If I stop it for a rest in the middle it seems to almost double the life.

Forward and back motion is predictably poor - but that is part of the design from what I've read. But then again, when battery life is low and its hanging near the ground then forward and back would be great - if it wasn't for the "circling the bowl" motion that blights my flight. During one of my earlier flights it took a slight knock to the top rotor which now appears to be off-kilter. Is it possible to fix this? I'm in the UK and I don't think I can get replacement parts over here. How would I go about fixing it?
The madnet mod seems to be a miracle cure fix for the circling the bowl problem - sadly, I can't get "one magnet for $0.20" as listed on the site in that thread. This side of the pond they're about £1.21 each, which is over $2 in your money. £10 for enough magnets to stabilise it is a bit steep! And I'm uncertain about adding that much weight to the whole kaboodle.

The throttle for the rear prop came loose and wasn't working (i.e. it wasn't being gripped inside the housing) so I padded that out with some strips of paper pinned in place by the hinging mechanism and it works much better. Slightly too sticky now as sometimes it applies slight reverse thrust without me wanting too - but good enough.

So far, so excellent! Just the "circling the bowl" to sort out and it'll fly great. I'm tempted by some of the other mods but don't want to set about it just yet. As said, the forward and backwards isn't great and back is considerably stronger - I'd tweak the wee dial inside the transmitter, but its covered in glue and I need to be more awake to work with that I think! No solder bridges, which is a good thing, given other peoples reports. I had to (well, I didn't have to - it worked before, but it seemed to work better) add two lumps of blue-tac to the front under the motors to balance it a bit better. There was a definite rearwards lean in the air without it.

I did have an idea for another mod - given that the rear rotor has no role in stability - just forwards and back - and given that the 'copter is stable in a hover once tweaked, why not turn the rotor around to make it a push-pull, kind of more like a gyrocopter style affair. That way, forward and reverse thrust could be applied without upsetting the balanced hover? Or something. I've got no idea if it would work, I'm not an engineer and I don't really understand! Just an idea.

Right. Sorry to babble...I love this thing! I also just wanted to comment on the fact that I'm very impressed with how friendly, accepting and helpful the community on this site seems to be. A breath of fresh air on the internet nowadays, and make no mistake.

Just me ole' circling problem to sort out...

Much love!
Mark

Edit: just noticed the other thread about discussing the knock-offs. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I didn't realise. Also, from viewing the threads -the two products look absoloutely identical. My excuse is I didn't entirely realise the whole situation at the point of purchase A poor one, but an excuse none the less...
Also, I probably got quite a few of the "technical terms" wrong, but that's only because I'm new to this and ignorant!

Edit2: Would these magnets be suitable for the magnet mod? Cheapest UK supplier I can find! Shame you have to buy so many! Still, its cheaper to buy 25 from here than it is to buy three from Maplin. Which size would be best? (I was thinking 6mm by 1mm) Apparently 0.22g each, if this site is correct for all neodymium magnets of this size...so thats an extra 1.76g weight added. I guess I'd have to correct the bent /wobble in the top rotor before adding anything to it to correct the latent wobble!
Smi is offline Find More Posts by Smi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
Smi
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
Cheeky bump?!

I only want to know the best way to straighten out the slightly warped top wings (every adjustment I make just seems to unfix itself in the flight) and whether its worth doing the magnet mod or not
Old Jul 13, 2007, 06:46 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
ok since no one will respond i will
i have no experience with this heli but ive read the mod works good. now u need some strong rare earth magnets http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/products.cfm?catID=10014 these will do im sure or well i think. if that link doesent take u rite to the magnets go to misc supplies and there at the bottom of the page

3d
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Smi
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
Thanks for replying
I'm on the other side of the Atlantic (UK) but have found a place that'll sell me cheap neodymium ("rare earth") magnets. What size would be appropriate? I was thinking the 6mm x 1mm (uh...Imperial measurements...that's just under a 1/4 inch by roughly 1/25th of an inch.) Reckon that'll be okay? As I said above, that'll add 1.76g to the weight, if the weights I've got are accurate. I don't quite know how that'll affect the flight capabilities.

Also, how do you fix them? I presume something like sellotape/scotchtape would be okay to test if it works before commiting myself with something more permenant?

Sorry to ask all these questions
Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
no problem haha i hate when people dont reply to my questions so yeah
uhh hmm that should work i think maybe order those and some smaller ones cause im not exactly sure hard to say ive never flown one just heard of the mod. well yeah u can tape it till u get something like a glue. maybe gorilla glue or some ca from a hobby shop
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Jul 14, 2007, 04:58 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,676 Posts
Hi Smi,
glad you are enjoying your MM and that you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it as did some when they were launched! I flew one for some time before I got a walkera 5#6, after which mine is destined to be bits for a custom micro model.

As regards the magnets, just look around for places you can find them lying around for free - old headphones, small motors etc. You can probably cut or snap them with a small cut-off wheel. If you want to buy them www.indoorflyer.co.uk sells them cheaply (20p) and with OK postage, but I don't know if these are suitable.

I found toilet bowling was cured best by lowering the top rotor 16mm and by jamming drink can foil around the lower bearing mount to minimise wobble. The MM will never fly very well forward - you are probably best off with a washer on the front. I did make a larger rear prop from a drinks can, but it didn't help that much.

My advice: use it as a test bed to experiment with - if you wonder 'will this work' then try it - you can try many mods without destroying anything of the original. When you have done as much as you want, don't throw it a way, use it as an amazing kit of parts to make something else,
see:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575546

Richard
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jul 14, 2007, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
I bought an alany too, had no idea until I found this forum that it was, the seller even linked to the interactive toys website :/

More info needed out there peoples, even if it's just an alert on the interactive toys website.

Still, it's a fun little beast, I've busted just about everything there is to bust and had a ball macgyering it back into the air

One problem I found, that i believe the genuine article also suffers from is thet toothed arrangement that drives the lower rotor, has a habit to either splay out, or to bust off teeth.

Found an answer to it though, with the help of one of those "gel pens". The ink tube is exactly the right internal diameter to fit snugly over the join, if you cut it to the right length (from the base of the drive gear to a few mm above the end o the joint) you'll have absolutely no problems with the joint, and being that the tube is going on the main shaft there's no chance of it upsetting any balance.
mcdogboy is offline Find More Posts by mcdogboy
Last edited by mcdogboy; Jul 14, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 09:00 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
What's the "magnet mod"?
mcdogboy is offline Find More Posts by mcdogboy
Old Jul 14, 2007, 09:04 PM
floating and flying
Stockton, CA USA
Joined Jun 2005
332 Posts
I could not get my MM clone to go forward until I substituted a Picco Z tail rotor, which must go flat side up. I also had to add a tiny bit of weight to balance the MM, as it used to like to drift aft.

Cheerio!
misfitsailor is offline Find More Posts by misfitsailor
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
Smi
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdogboy
What's the "magnet mod"?
You attach small neodymium magnets to the underside of the top rotors and the upper side of the bottom rotors - they repel each other and stabilise the copter in flight, reducing the chance of the rotors knocking together, too.
See here.