HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Discussion
53" 3D Hobby Shop EBT Trainer:

3D Hobby Shop is pleased to announce to their new line of ARF aircraft their first ever trainer. The new 53" EBT Trainer. The EBT (Electric Basic Trainer) is not just your ordinary flat bottom high wing trainer. The EBT offers the beginner pilot a very solid platform on which to successfully learn how to fly r/c. With its high visibility and contrasting color scheme the EBT is extremely ease to track while in the sky regardless of sky conditions. The EBT is capable of flying at extremely slow airspeeds which offers the beginner time to fly the plane without worrying about stalling the airplane. The EBT will build confidence very quickly for any new pilot as it has no bad habits and can be slowed to a crawl on landings.

BUT IT'S a TAILDRAGGER!!

We have all heard the concept that the best trainers have to have tri-cycle landing gear in order for it to be a good trainer. The only problem with this is the pilot is forced to learn how to takeoff and landing tail wheel airplanes later on as most sport and 3D model r/c airplanes are tail draggers. By teaching the new pilot how to fly tail draggers from the beginning the learning curve is greatly reduced when it comes time to upgrade to the sport/3D planes. It couldn't be easier to takeoff and land the new EBT. Simply apply power and after a short takeoff roll with minimal rudder input the plane is airborne. Landing the EBT requires no more additional effort than taking off.

The best thing about the EBT is that once the beginner pilot gains some experience with it the plane with higher rates will do many of the basic aerobatic maneuvers with ease. Not only will it do basic aerobatic maneuvers but it will also do some pre-3D maneuvers as well. The best part of the EBT is that once the beginner pilot is ready to move on to a more advanced airplane all the equipment can easily be put into such airplanes as the 3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra SHP 300, 47" Katana, and their 47" Yak-54 models. This is makes it extremely cost effective for the first time buyer.

INTERGRATED PACKAGE:

The EBT comes with a complete high quality hardware package that makes the time from box to flight ready a simple matter of a few hours. The manual is very through and answers most any question a beginner could have during the build. The only thing needed to finish the EBT is common building supplies found at most hobby stores and your choice of power setup and battery selection. The EBT will have an introductory price of $99.99. Combo packages may be offered at a later date.

I will be using this thread to discuss and show the build of the new 3DHS EBT Trainer. Any questions you have along the way please do not hesitate to ask. I will be posting some build pics here shortly. More to come...

Here is a little video of the EBT Trainer in action.
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; Aug 01, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:38 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Where was this plane when I was learning to fly? Think my wife will believe me if I tell her I bought it so that she could learn to fly?
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Starting the build of the 3DHS EBT:

The EBT trainer arrived at my house in great condition. As is standard practice at 3DHS the plane was TRIPLED boxed with no damage at all. Upon opening the box the first thing you notice is how nice everything is individually sealed in plastic bags. The covering on the EBT was nearly wrinkle free and the trim scheme looked fantastic.

The included hardware bag contains high quality parts and is very inclusive of the materials needed to build the EBT. After inspecting all the parts and removing everything from there plastic protective wrap I proceeded to start the build. The wings utilize nearly full span ailerons and are held in place by several CA hinges and thin CA glue. The two wing halves are held together using a plywood joiner which gets epoxied into each wing half. It is EXTREMELY important that you install the joiner correctly as the joiner has the built in dihedral needed for the wings. I used 30 min. epoxy to glue the wing halves together and cleaned off any excess epoxy with denatured alcohol.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Looks great!! Cant wait to hear the flight report.

What gear are you putting in it (motor/esc, servos)?
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:53 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,837 Posts
I see a stable, visible, camera platform there. I think all of us are probably going to put Ben's kids through college at this rate.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
echo - Yep, there's room in the fuselage bay for camera gear. The plane is very lightly loaded at 40 oz. on the 53" wing, and gets plenty of power from the recommended 100-140g outrunners. So, it will lift a lot. Some tasks I have planned for mine later in the summer:

Float flying
small sailplane towing
Testing a nav system I bought
Night Flying with a seriously high power LED system

...maybe i'll even convert one to a bipe.

In any case, these things are big heaps of fun. Durable and cheap, too. We expect to receive them into our warehouse about Aug. 15, and for now the price is $99 for the ARF.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar
I see a stable, visible, camera platform there. I think all of us are probably going to put Ben's kids through college at this rate.

-Jon
Camera Platform Here

Video:Windy Flight

After the review footage was done !
Playing around video:A Trainer That Hovers
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
Looks great!! Cant wait to hear the flight report.

What gear are you putting in it (motor/esc, servos)?
Numb,

I will be using the following equipment to power my EBT:

Motor - Torque 2818-900 brushless outrunner
Speed Controller - Castle Creations 35
Batteries - Thunder Power Extreme 3s 2070mah
Servos - Hitec 65HB's x 4
Prop - APC 12 x 6E and 13 x 6.5E

Cool thing about this setup is that it will give the EBT plenty of power but can also be throttled back at a 1/4 throttle and fly for 10-12 mins. with ease.

Tim
Old Jul 13, 2007, 08:00 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,210 Posts
Looking forward to your build thread Tim.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Jul 13, 2007, 09:11 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
The build continues......

Alright so some of you who know me might be wondering why I would be flying a trainer airplane. Simple, my wife. My wife has watched me fly r/c airplanes for the past 12yrs. and has always mentioned that she would like to learn to fly r/c but for one reason or the other we never bought a plane for her to learn on. My wife has been spending some time on our (yes we call it our simulator) Aerofly Pro Deluxe flying some of the stock Great Planes PT trainers. This has been a great way for her to build up her confidence in anticipation of flying the EBT trainer. While my wife has for the most part supported my addiction to the hobby at times it has been hard for her to understand how I could spend almost a whole day/weekend out at the local r/c field. I feel this will be a great opportunity for my wife to understand why I enjoy this hobby so much as well as be able to spend time with her doing it. It is a total win-win situation.

....Plus now when the Big Brown Truck shows up at the house again with another new plane for me I am hoping I won't hear, "You got another new plane? Why do you need more planes anyway".

Alright back to the build....

Wing is done! The two HS-65HB servos have been mounted with the linkages and control horns glued in place. This step is very easy using the included pushrods and horns that come with the kit.

Next I moved on to assembling the tail group. The first thing I noticed when I looked at the elevator and horizontal stab was that there was no joiner wire going to be need to join the two elevator halves together. SWEET!! The elevator halves are already joined with a piece of plywood making the elevator assembly a very simple matter. All that is needed to be done is to cut the fuselage opening, insert the horizontal stab, check stab alignment then glue, and then finally gluing the CA hinges to the elevator and stab. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Finishing the build:

Alright guys I was able to dedicate some time this weekend to finish the EBT up and get it in the air for its maiden (all caught on video).

Starting work inside the fuselage the first thing you notice is the nice laser etched 3D Hobby Shop logo right on the battery tray area. The battery is loaded on the bottom of the fuselage and is accessed through a removable latch cover that is held in place by some VERY strong magnets.

The tail wheel assembly goes together with easy and is extremely lightweight but very durable. I have tested the durablity of this setup on my other 3DHS planes and it holds up great. The main gear setup is very straight forward and one of the nice features of all 3DHS airplanes is that they come with real axles. Many manufactures send bolts to use which over time will wear the inside of the hub out and cause excess slop on the tire. NOT the case with the 3DHS axles.

The elevator and rudder servos fit perfectly in the servo bays and the pushrod connections went together in a snap.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Jul 16, 2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
continued.....

Next on moved on to mounting the motor/esc on the EBT trainer. The EBT comes with pre-installed blind nuts in the firewall which makes attaching the Torque motor quick and easy.

Only things left to do were to mount the rx, set the control throws and cg and do a range test at the field. It doesn't get much easy than this when it comes to building an ARF airplane. Hats off to Ben and the gang from 3DHS for developing such an easy plane to build that looks absolutely stunning.

Tim
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Ready to Fly!!

My finished EBT weighed in at 43oz. RTF using the following equipment:

Motor - Torque 2818-900
ESC - CC PHX 35
Battery - TPX 3s 2070mah
Prop - APC 13 x 6.5e
Servos - Hitec (4) HS-65HB's

The finished EBT looks great and I was really anxious to get this plane up for it's maiden and to start some flight training with my wife. Here are some photos I took on maiden day.

Please Note: The EBT trainer will be coming stock with 52mm wheels with the kits in Aug. My wife was a little intimidated by there size so I switched them out for 2.25" Dave Brown wheels.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Jul 16, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
We'll be including fiberglass wheel pants and a custom decal sheet in the kits when they ship during August.

Nice job, Tim! Looking forward to some flight video.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Maiden Video:

O.K. here is a little video that was taken on maiden day with the EBT Trainer.

I will be posting more in-depth flight analysis of the EBT trainer a little later. If you have any questions please do not hesistate to let me know. So far I am extremely impressed with how the EBT Trainer flies. More to come.....

NOTE: The annoying popping sound in the video is from one of my kids toys. (note to self, never take annoying popping toy to r/c club)

EBT Trainer Maiden Video

Tim