SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:25 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Discussion
Lil-22 WITH PLANS

Started a little plane on the JULY 3rd. All packed up for my trip to Colorado and nothing to do.

Took a 3 view I got off some site and started trying to measure out the angles etc...

Got the basic size/shape drawn out and started cutting. So far it's 5 pieces and should not be more than 6 after putting in a fuse hatch at the back. Seems about 8-12 ounces with a batt in it so far. cg can be moved very good with batt placement. Now if I can get it done before the weekend and get Dooky down to fly it/teach me how to not crash it.

Specs:

about 24"ws
about 32"length.
Hopefully comes out under 12 ounces
3 cell 1000
1300 UH BLue
2 piccos ELEVONS ONLY/BA mixer
15A tp esc
6x5 apc
7x5 apc
Can fit an 8 inch prop in there if needed. (Probably would fly it apart though)

PLANS: CG should be around 15-15.5 inches. With gear attached and a slight bit of up elevator 1/8-1/4 inch mechanically installed glide test over grass. Should glide about 100 ft with a good level toss.

Building: See post 21 for pics of the revised bottom fuse. Make the side skirts and verticle stabs wide enough to fit your prop. Make the skirts tall enough to protect your prop. Cut the nose and top fuse as you'd like.
As far as control throw. Get all you can, and it's like a delta and likes a little reflex. The motor has no intended offset in any direction.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Last edited by DRITCH; Jul 26, 2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: specs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:31 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Before anybody asks. Yes I'm gonna paint it. Light blue cockpit, orange or yellow top and red fins. Bottom will be dark blue. Hopefully it don't rain all week. Can only airbrush outside.

I started this because there seems to be an interest in the 22. I really like it's lines and wanted to make a descent profile mid motor (for protection) type plane. Trying to really keep the parts simple and the build quick..

ANY comments are welcome. Once it's maidened and the bugs worked out I'd love someone to make tiled pdf so all can enjoy. Should fly this weekend.

Please be nice it's my first pusher jet.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:23 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Looks great, it should fly fine.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks good, got to build me one of those there F22 prop in a slot foamies.....
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:31 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350357

I read thru alot of this thread. They had started using cd's and building bigger, but kinda stopped there. I hope to build bigger next time. I really like the little ips direct drive one's though. Should scream around the neighborhood.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Thanks and thanks. Hopefully it'll fly on an 6 or 7 inch prop. As built now the prop will not hit the ground. Might be able to SOG takeoff. Motocalc say's 12 stall and 38+pitch. Seems a bit off compared to others and recent video's i've seen.

Crunched the numbers and 3 cell and 1300 with 4-5 pitch is around 50 mph. Should be enough to push it along nicely.
Last edited by DRITCH; Jul 11, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Nice job! I'm curious to hear how the 24g 1300 actually performs. Please keep us posted. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRITCH
ANY comments are welcome. Once it's maidened and the bugs worked out I'd love someone to make tiled pdf so all can enjoy. Should fly this weekend.
Post an image of the plan you want scaled and tiled (with wing span you want for the scaled version) and I'll be glad to do it for you with ScaleAndTile.

Or, if you prefer to scale and tile it yourself, please furnish your contact info in a PM and I'll be glad to send you a copy of the ScaleAndTile program (command-line or GUI version).

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Here's the 3-view from http://www.af.mil/art/index.asp?galleryID=1626, scaled and tiled, with wingspan = 24 inches.
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jul 12, 2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added scaled and tiled 3-view
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Firstshirt: so far motor has got plenty of speed/thrust with 3 cells.

Segraves: After this weekend i'll get all the bugs worked out and put up some measurement points on a gridsheet. I might even put the points in cad program if I get a chance.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:18 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Looks great Dritch!
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
I'm an idiot. OR The most boring video ever.

Popped in my little 350 3 cell. Cg is too far forward, but I just wanted to see how this mixer thingy works before I get this thing really going. Never hit more than half throttle (lots of potential here) Camera batt went dead and missed the end where I got some 180's and flight back to me. High alpha is very hard for me(especially with no rudder).

This was with an APC 6x5 and 350 3s. Will probably go with gws 7"slowflyer and 1000 3s for first flight. I'm bettin with this apc and bigger batt she'll really scoot.

All in All the GWS mixer seems ok so far.

Threw in a pic I had of same place in my yard after ice storm last winter.

HERE'S THE VIDEO:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...71#post7787181
Last edited by DRITCH; Jul 12, 2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:12 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Sog

Mowed my grass lastnight and had a little extra time while the wifey was playing tear up the yard on the 4 wheeler.

The LIL-22 will take off from the ground on short grass! Whowouldathunkit?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:37 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Just watched the vid, looks like the cg is way too far back to me, hence why it kept nosing up on you (unless you were trying to do that intentionally). Did you do the tried and true GPW method of finding the cg - before adding any electronics, affix control surfaces at neutral, add modeling clay to nose, then let it glide? Keep removing/adding clay until you get a nice good long glide and then mark your cg. Add electronics and then adjust batt position until you get that cg, or within about 1/2" ahead of the glide cg mark. I've found that on these jet-like birds the true flying (at speed) cg is usually about 1/2" forward of the glide cg. For maiden, I usually program in some reflex on the elevons to give me reaction time after the throw (I chuck mine with power off, overheand). Since you already have your electonics installed, I would keep doing what you were doing in the yard - little test hops until you get it where after the throw it has a tendency to glide a little (without excessive nose up) before you add power. Good luck, and keep at it!
Kyle
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
G

Kinda intentional. Just playing in my yard. Flight batt will be much heavier and bring the cg in. Was just playing with my first mixer and elevons/tailerons things. Also wanted to see what happens with high alpha and how slow it'll really fly. I'll put in the big batt at the field and toss over tall grass/hay field to make sure the cg is right on. So far it looks good. Camera went dead before the good flights. Nosed her over and picked up some speed. controls don't do much at high alpha as expected. Will turn in about a 30ft circle at high alpha. Shouldn't be a problem at the field.

Thanks and yep I alway's test toss now, really saves ya from having a bad crash.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,768 Posts
Hey DRITCH! looks good... you inspired me too try an f22 as well... I just eyeballed it and came up with a great flyer myself... will fly at about 3mph in high alpha and max speed id say around 40... great speed range! I used an edf-64 with a brushless motor and was more than impressed with the results.
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat