HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brucea, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:43 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,416 Posts
Fundango is dead

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127059
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2008, 11:45 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
You know all we want are pics...
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Can I get an opinion from one of you covering experts? Trying to decide between lightweight SolarFilm and typical Ultracote for a Hobby Lobby Miss Stik Sr. (55" wingspan lightweigh RET floater).

My thread is here, post #5: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914623
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,219 Posts
Old School

How about silkspan over mylar (doculam)? Beautiful, durable, and light. You can dye it whatever color you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
Can I get an opinion from one of you covering experts? Trying to decide between lightweight SolarFilm and typical Ultracote for a Hobby Lobby Miss Stik Sr. (55" wingspan lightweigh RET floater).

My thread is here, post #5: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914623
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:34 AM
Staying away from trees..
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
habitforming:
I would go with solarfilm. The plane is on the larger parkflyer size range, and ultracote might be too heavy and too strong for the airframe. Solarfilm should be just about right. You could probably even do solite (solarfilm light) if you wanted to, but it is somewhat transparent in the lighter colors.
markag is offline Find More Posts by markag
Old Sep 02, 2008, 11:20 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markag
habitforming:
I would go with solarfilm. The plane is on the larger parkflyer size range, and ultracote might be too heavy and too strong for the airframe. Solarfilm should be just about right. You could probably even do solite (solarfilm light) if you wanted to, but it is somewhat transparent in the lighter colors.
Thanks markag

I went with AeroFILM (Solarfilm). I think it will do just fine!
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:39 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
I'm going to be covering a SOARstik wing with yellow solite on the bottom and blue transparent solite on the top. I'd like the covering to meet on the top wing spar cover and my question is how I get a straight edge on the yellow over the blue. The blue solite will be easy since it will be the first layer, and I can just cut away from the spar cover, but how do I get the straight edge with the yellow solite? I read the tutorial where the red and white meet at the top, but I didn't catch the method where you get a straight line with the top layer. My concern is that I'll cut the blue solite when I try to cut a straight edge for the yellow solite.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
I'm going to be covering a SOARstik wing with yellow solite on the bottom and blue transparent solite on the top. I'd like the covering to meet on the top wing spar cover and my question is how I get a straight edge on the yellow over the blue. The blue solite will be easy since it will be the first layer, and I can just cut away from the spar cover, but how do I get the straight edge with the yellow solite? I read the tutorial where the red and white meet at the top, but I didn't catch the method where you get a straight line with the top layer. My concern is that I'll cut the blue solite when I try to cut a straight edge for the yellow solite.
Hi 7rider,

I'm trying to visualize a wing with a yellow bottom, and blue top. But I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out why the covering on top of the wing at the spar is being cut? Isn't the whole top half of the wing being done in blue?

Please forgive me inability to visualize this...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:24 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
On the top, I only wish to use blue from the trailing edge to the top of the wing at the spar. The yellow will wrap over from underneath, past the leading edge to the top of the wing at the spar. I thought this might give a good contrast to the top of the wing.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Sep 03, 2008, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
On the top, I only wish to use blue from the trailing edge to the top of the wing at the spar. The yellow will wrap over from underneath, past the leading edge to the top of the wing at the spar. I thought this might give a good contrast to the top of the wing.
Hi 7rider,

In reply #47 in this very thread, does the plane in the picture sort of resemble what you are tryig to do?

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2008, 12:47 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
How to penetrate covering with a control rod?

Could someone share their thoughts on how best to pass a control rod through the covering? Should I just poke a hole and run it through? Should I put in a backing plate and drill a hole?

I'm about to cover a Miss Stik. Attached is a picture of the area I'm working with. Similar situation on the bottom, of course.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 02:31 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,219 Posts
Backing Plate with Tape?

I wonder if a layer of clear packing tape might help keep the covering from tearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
Could someone share their thoughts on how best to pass a control rod through the covering? Should I just poke a hole and run it through? Should I put in a backing plate and drill a hole?

I'm about to cover a Miss Stik. Attached is a picture of the area I'm working with. Similar situation on the bottom, of course.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Sep 07, 2008, 03:26 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
You could always make a simple bracing out of two pieces of scap balsa, and put one on either side of the pushrod tubing. Therefore, when you go and cut the little hole to let the tubing go through, you can still iron the covering there and it won't tear.

That's what I've done in similar instances -- also for when I need to route servo wires from the wing to the fuselage.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Sep 07, 2008, 11:48 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
here's what I came up with. I used an 1/8" brass tube as a punch to make the holes.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 11:52 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Great solution -- it will work well!

You're probably going to be doing this already, but if you can, go ahead and remove the pushrods before covering. It will make your covering job much less stressful.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94