HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brucea, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hix
London UK
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
Here are 2 very useful videos created by solarfilm here in the UK.
I have read instructoins before but this takes the learning to a whole new level. Well done solarfilm
http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cm.html

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cs.html
Hix is offline Find More Posts by Hix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hix
London UK
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix
Here are 2 very useful videos created by solarfilm here in the UK.
I have read instructoins before but this takes the learning to a whole new level. Well done solarfilm
http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cm.html

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cs.html
http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cs.swf

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/video_cm.swf
then you get larger screens of video
Hix is offline Find More Posts by Hix
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:20 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,963 Posts
For those of you that think foam models has a nasty look and feel (me included ) Chris F has an excellent mini- How to of covering with tissue and WBPU. Have a look at it in his blog .

Can't tell that this is a cheap foam model.
Have a look at the complete build as Chris modified it with flaps and retracts when he was at it

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Last edited by wolw; Feb 28, 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 05:24 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Chapter 17: Wing Damage Repair

This chapter 17 will demonstrate how to fix major puncture damage. No matter how well you fly, or how carefully you transport and store you planes, eventually you are going to need to repair a sizable hole in your covering.

Almost two years ago I had just finished covering my first Mountain Models kit. I had bought a MiniFlash kit as home for a Promax Neodym motor I had lying around. I liked the looks and price of the MiniFlash. Once I started building the kit, I knew this was just the first of many Mountain Models kits I would purchase.

The MiniFlash was sitting on my bench ready for final assembly when my entire supply of balsa and plywood cascaded off a shelf and landed squarely on the MiniFlash! The wings and ailerons took the brunt of this wooden avalanche. The covering looked like Swiss cheese. I was so discouraged I put the battered remains of the MiniFlash in a box and started working on another plane.

I recently decided to see what I could do to fix the wounded bird. Over the past week I have nearly restored the MiniFlash to her pre-accident state. I didn't recover the plane. I just patched the damaged covering using the technique outlined is this chapter. The result of my patch work is nearly impossible to distinguish from the original covering job.

Patching and repairing planes is just a part of the sport. Making a nearly invisible patch is a bit challenging. Work slowly and follow these instructions and you will get excellent results.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Last edited by brucea; Mar 04, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 12:05 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Bruce,

Thanks for the new lesson -- I hope to not have to use it any time soon, but I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Quick question, too: I'm building this plane that has a single aileron servo on the bottom of the wing. I cut out the hole for the servo pocket, but what should I do about the wire? Should I just remove the covering from the inside of the center ribs, or is there a way to cut a little hole for the wires to go through? I don't mind the latter, but I don't want the covering to start tearing either...

Thanks again Bruce!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:05 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Excellent, Bruce!

I've already got the perfect place to try it out on, too... LOL

PS... I'm afraid the thread has gotten a little off topic lately (this post of mine being no exception). Probably time to 'prune it' ...

Thanks for the new lesson!

Chuck
Dear Chuck,

I will likely delete some extra posts that have already served their purpose, including my own. There are a number of educational posts made by other people that I will most certainly keep. The post that feature the work of other hobbyists will also be retained. I still have a few chapters in mind to round out this tutorial.

I am also going to start on the basic building tutorial. However, I would really like to do some flying but the weather really sucks.

Thanks, Bruce
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:13 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Bruce,

Thanks for the new lesson -- I hope to not have to use it any time soon, but I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Quick question, too: I'm building this plane that has a single aileron servo on the bottom of the wing. I cut out the hole for the servo pocket, but what should I do about the wire? Should I just remove the covering from the inside of the center ribs, or is there a way to cut a little hole for the wires to go through? I don't mind the latter, but I don't want the covering to start tearing either...

Thanks again Bruce!
Dear Napo,

I am having trouble picturing what you are talking about. Unsuported covering with a "little" hole can tear. Removing the covering from between the center ribs is a beter idea. Usie the procedure outlined in chapter 17. Seal the covering to the ribs before and surrounding structure prior to cutting the covering. Cut the covering leaving at least 1/4" excess. Roll the covering excess covering over the edge with your iron.

What plane are you building?

Thanks, Bruce
Old Mar 04, 2008, 07:23 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucea
Dear Napo,

I am having trouble picturing what you are talking about. Unsuported covering with a "little" hole can tear. Removing the covering from between the center ribs is a beter idea. Usie the procedure outlined in chapter 17. Seal the covering to the ribs before and surrounding structure prior to cutting the covering. Cut the covering leaving at least 1/4" excess. Roll the covering excess covering over the edge with your iron.

What plane are you building?

Thanks, Bruce
Bruce,

I'm in the communication business, but I can't seem to communicate very well. Go figure.

Yes, it sounds like removing the covering from the center ribs might be the better way to go. Thanks!

I'm building the Das Mini Low Stick from Radical RC. It's a new offering from them, and I'm reviewing it for Ezone. I'm down to installing the electronics now, so a weekend maiden could be entirely plausible.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2006
53 Posts
Trimming the excess

Hi brucea,

I have been trying to cover some kits plane that i built but whenever I come to the covering part, I always mess it up. here are some of the difficulties that I encounter:
1) I can't seem to find a good way to trim off the excess covering in a straight line. For example, if I have the top of the wing white in color and the bottom red, then how straight I trim off the excess at the edge will show how well the plane is covered. i know you use free hand, have you come across anything that can help trim off the excess? (i have a trim kit from top flight)

2) most of my wings have some sort of dihedral(sorry if I spell it wrongly). When I come to covering the portion where the left portion and right portion of the wing meet, I can't cover it in a way that will show the dihedral of the wings. What may be the proper way to cover it?
mave is offline Find More Posts by mave
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Bruce,

Here are some pics of that Das Mini Low Stick I was telling you about. Thanks to your tutorial, the covering job was my best ever!

Thanks for all your help!

Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Bruce, i'm not sure if you know the answer to this question, but is covering a foam plane the same as covering a balsa plane?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Bruce, i'm not sure if you know the answer to this question, but is covering a foam plane the same as covering a balsa plane?
I'll let Bruce answer this too but in short, some of the methods are the same (stretching around corners) but covering a foamie is a different beast.

Two words for covering foamies... THINNED GOOP!!! (another two - Strapping Tape)

--Jeremy
jrbackus is offline Find More Posts by jrbackus
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Dear Bill,

How is the Mini-Telemaster build going? I am getting back to mine after a little detour to get my SQuiRT 400 in the air.

Take a look at post #55 in this thread by Albatross. He has several links with good information about covering foam. I am not qualified to give advice on covering foam.

Thanks, Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:22 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Bruce, that's just what I needed! Thanks!

About the Telemaster, the build is going great. I haven't been working on it lately, though.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:30 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Post #63 covers covering foam.

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw