HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brucea, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
Birmingham
Joined Dec 2006
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
That's a beautiful first-time covering job, David! Did you use Monokote trim sheets for it?

Great job!
The checkers on the bottom and rudder were the only things made from monokote trim, everything else was cut from my roll of covering.
david212 is offline Find More Posts by david212
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2007, 02:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
My latest... the Mountain Models Dandy...

Every technique I used on this one was learned right here on this tutorial. Mannnnnnnn, this is fun!!!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
Staying away from trees..
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between solartrim and monokote trim sheets. What is the weight difference between the two? I am building up a 24" Cessna 170 and I want to cover it with chrome solartrim, but I haven't been able to find any to purchase. I got the idea from an ezone review from may of 2006. I can find all kinds of places to purchase the chrome monokote trim sheets, but I'm worried that they might be too heavy. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,
Markag
markag is offline Find More Posts by markag
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markag
Does anyone know the difference between solartrim and monokote trim sheets. What is the weight difference between the two? I am building up a 24" Cessna 170 and I want to cover it with chrome solartrim, but I haven't been able to find any to purchase. I got the idea from an ezone review from may of 2006. I can find all kinds of places to purchase the chrome monokote trim sheets, but I'm worried that they might be too heavy. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,
Markag
Dear Markag,

I have used MonoKote trim sheets on small electric planes with good results. A 24" Cessna 170 will fly best if you keep it light. I recommend you use trim sheets, MonoKote or Solartrim, sparingly on a micro-electric plane.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:31 AM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Here is my latest little project.
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 07:22 AM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Dandy Top Wing Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Bruce,

Well... I'm here to report that covering a wing top in one piece is just a tad more difficult than I envisioned it to be... LOL.

You would not BELIEVE what I managed to get myself into! I destroyed almost a whole roll of So-Lite in the process. And here I was patting myself on the back thinking I was going to be a top notch coverer... LMAO!

Anyway, to make a long story short... I reached the point where I started to get REALLY frustrated, and decided it would be best if I put everything away for the night, sleep on it, and then try to do it again tomorrow in two pieces rather than one.

I did learn an important lesson though. I learned that being good at this balsa and covering is not so much having a natural talent for it, as it is in learning how to deal with the setbacks. And I'm sort of proud of myself for being able to get past the setback, and concentrate on how best to do it better the next time...

Chuck
Dear Chuck,

Judging by your work on the Dandy and Duskstick, your covering skills are excellent! The easiest way to cover the Dandy Sport wing is:

(1) Cover only the center section made of light plywood first. Make sure to leave a 1/4" to 3/8" of excess to iron around to the ribs.
(2) Cover each side independently leaving a 1/4" to 3/8" overlap on the center section.
(3) Make sure to seal the seams with a hot trim iron or sealing iron.
(3) Use a hot sealing iron when shrinking adjacent to the seams. Use gentle pressure on center section. You don't want to pull the seams apart, nor lift the center section covering.

The attached drawing shows this three step sequence. Please pardon the crudity of the drawing.

To accomplish covering the wing with one piece you do almost the same process. You get the center section firmly tacked down first. Then do the rest of the wing. Shrink adjacent to the center section with your sealing iron. If the center section covering lefts off, you can iron it down with a hot iron.

NOTE: "Hot Iron" means the iron is set as shrinking temperature.

If you get the covering too hot the covering will burn. Not hot enough and the covering won’t iron down. Covering is a “for feel thing". You may need to accept that the top covering on the wing may not be as drum tight as the bottom covering.

Thanks, Bruce
Old Dec 04, 2007, 11:03 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I just want to say thanks for puting this tutorial together. I used a few of your techniques to do my very first covering job on a walnut scale plane.

I am jazzed! Check it out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25#post8674109

Cheers,
-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Bruce,

Have you built any of the Mountain Models - are the kits as nice as they seemed?

Trey
trey00h is offline Find More Posts by trey00h
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:34 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey00h
Bruce,

Have you built any of the Mountain Models - are the kits as nice as they seemed?

Trey
Dear Trey,

I have more Mountain Models planes than any other brand. I have a MiniFlash, Switchback Sport, Dandy GT, Clipped Wing Cub, Eva Biplane, and Switchback Senior. Mountain Models kits go together quickly and fly great. Customer service is great. MM plans and instructions are clearly written. Just pick a Mountain Models plane that appeals to you. All Mountain Model kits are all great.

Thanks, Bruce
Last edited by brucea; Jan 17, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2007, 06:58 PM
What goes up ...
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Mar 2007
101 Posts
Hi Bruce,
Check out these threads/links if you're looking for more info:

http://davesaircraftworks.com/foamcstr.htm#Covering

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...89169&page=206

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18843

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=colors

Dave
Albatross1 is offline Find More Posts by Albatross1
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Thanks to this tutorial, I just finished another balsa kit...

Mountain Models Dandy Sport. Covered in So-Lite (you mean there are different kinds of covering? ) and Coverite Graphics stars. AUW of 11.7 ounces and driven by an E-Flite Park 370 4100kV inrunner on a 6.66:1 gearbox.

Now it's on to the Mountain Models Tyro...

Thanks Bruce!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:11 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
I also have been practicing covering after reading Bruce's tutorial. I have had some vacation time over the holidays and have built and covered 3 kits in a month!

I have graduated!! I am now ready to go out into the cruel world of large kit building.

Thanks Bruce!

-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 07, 2008, 10:41 AM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Driver
Wow...thank you for this! It's a great help for a new builder/coverer

I do have one question as a nitro flyer...I understand the covering to use is different...but are there different techniques I should learn as well? Or is that basically the same?

Thanks!

- Don
Dear Don,

When covering a glow powered plane you need to pay particular attention to fuel proofing. You need to make sure that all seams are well sealed. Glow planes tend to be larger than electric park flyers and need a more rigid covering. On 40+ sized planes I use TopFlite MonoKote or Hanger 9 Ultracote. Ultracote and MonoKote actually cut cleaner that So-Lite. So-Lite tends to stretch and squirm while being cut. Ultracote and MonoKote tend not to stretch while being cut. So-Lite likes to double over and stick to itself. I find the heavier coverings don't really carry a lot of static charge and are somewhat easier to handle.

For the most part covering is covering. The same techniques work for all plastic film covering. Now, if your are a glutton for punishment, you can try silkspan and dope!

Thanks, Bruce
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:21 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
cool, thanks brucea I recently got my first kit for free at Radical RC...... it was a prototype not ll things went together well but I got it done. I found your tutorial very helpfull thanks for sharing. my covering is not the best though but It really hepled in covering
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:55 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
now the real challenge begins. My mom found this plane at some place that sold resturant supplys and this cub was sitting in the corner all beat up and never been flown poor thing has never flown. Its missing lots of stuff no ailerons, elevator ends, wheels and other crap now i have to make the elevator and ailerons
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape