HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brucea, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:35 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucea
The MonoKote iron is an old stand-by that has been used to cover millions of RC planes since dinosaurs roamed the earth! This iron will work quite well indeed.
YIKES!!! I remember the advent of MonoKote and the MonoKote iron! As the dinosaurs were evolving, we just had tissue, silkspan, and silk... applied with (legal) dope. Mmmmm... now we have MonoKote, but no dinosaurs. I wonder if that effect was addressed in the MonoKote environmenatal impact statement?

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Covering Plywood

My question: How can I get good adhesion when covering birch plywood with film? What are the Master Builders using?

I will be covering a wing which has some 1/64" plywood planking on an open, built-up balsa frame. I'll use either Stevens (a.k.a. Solarfilm) Solite or Aerofilm.

I made some test samples & find that the adhesion to plywood is very poor compared to what I get on the balsa. I tried Coverite's Balsarite Film Conditioner on the plywood but find it doesn't do much to improve adhesion.

Richard

Here's an update. I made some more samples with Balsarite on plywood & got excellent results. It takes two brushed on coats - one thin coat doesn't do much to promote adhesion.
rckowal is offline Find More Posts by rckowal
Last edited by rckowal; Feb 12, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 01:54 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Separating Film Covering Layers

I'm looking for tips on how to peel the protective layer off of films such as Solite, Aerofilm, etc. Your ideas will be appreciated.

Richard
Old Feb 11, 2009, 02:29 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
I just stick a piece of masking tape to the backing on a corner, then fold gently and the backing comes away.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckowal
My question: How can I get good adhesion when covering birch plywood with film? What are the Master Builders using?

I will be covering a wing which has some 1/64" plywood planking on an open, built-up balsa frame. I'll use either Stevens (a.k.a. Solarfilm) Solite or Aerofilm.

I made some test samples & find that the adhesion to plywood is very poor compared to what I get on the balsa. I tried Coverite's Balsarite Film Conditioner on the plywood but find it doesn't do much to improve adhesion.

Richard
Hi Richard,

I am NO master builder, but I've found that when I applied So-Lite to 1/64" plywood (at the middle area of the wings), I tacked it, then sealed it with my iron at 240 F, by ironing it down a few times, till all the wrinkles were gone.

This is Permanent! I tried removing it because I wanted to change the color, and it will not come off for anything. I can't even sand this stuff off. I'm really amazed at just how well it adheres!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Richard,

I am NO master builder, but I've found that when I applied So-Lite to 1/64" plywood (at the middle area of the wings), I tacked it, then sealed it with my iron at 240 F, by ironing it down a few times, till all the wrinkles were gone.

This is Permanent! I tried removing it because I wanted to change the color, and it will not come off for anything. I can't even sand this stuff off. I'm really amazed at just how well it adheres!

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

I'll have to modify my test procedure & try again. What you describe is similar to what I did on my samples. The only difference is that I didn't iron the Solite down several times at 240 F. I presume your plywood was untreated (no coatings) birch. Is that so?

By the way, as the saying goes - "It's a small world". I see you're in Milford which almost makes us neighbors. I'm in Warren - probably about 40 miles between us.

Best regards, Richard
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
I just stick a piece of masking tape to the backing on a corner, then fold gently and the backing comes away.
Hi Galaxiex,

Can you please elaborate on how you do this? Do you put the tape on only one side - just the backing? I've been trying to do this with a piece of masking tape on both sides then pulling them apart. Some times it peels OK, but usually it doesn't.

When you fold, are you folding only the tape? Or both of the plies (tape and the backing) together?

Richard
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chuck,

I'll have to modify my test procedure & try again. What you describe is similar to what I did on my samples. The only difference is that I didn't iron the Solite down several times at 240 F. I presume your plywood was untreated (no coatings) birch. Is that so?

By the way, as the saying goes - "It's a small world". I see you're in Milford which almost makes us neighbors. I'm in Warren - probably about 40 miles between us.

Best regards, Richard
Hi Richard,

Yep, the plywood was not treated in any way. Once I had it tacked down, I took the sealing iron at 240 F, and just proceeded to use the very small bottom of the iron at the tip to slowly trace out very small circles (1/4" diameter?) in an area till the covering was really stuck down strong. I suppose on a piece 3"x5", it took about 20 minutes to a half hour to finish it. The result is pretty uniform application with an 'almost' blemish free surface.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:44 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Hi Galaxiex,

Can you please elaborate on how you do this? Do you put the tape on only one side - just the backing? I've been trying to do this with a piece of masking tape on both sides then pulling them apart. Some times it peels OK, but usually it doesn't.

When you fold, are you folding only the tape? Or both of the plies (tape and the backing) together?

Richard
Hi Richard,

I put the tape only on the backing on a corner, with some tape sticking out, then hold the tape with left thumb and forefinger, thumb on the sticky side, then use other 3 fingers underneath to kind of bend/fold (but NOT crease) the film, usually the film just pops away from the backing, if not, then I just kind of "feather" the corner away from the tape, and it separates.

Sometimes it doesn't work, then I try again at a different corner.

Hope that helps.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:30 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Richard,

Yep, the plywood was not treated in any way. Once I had it tacked down, I took the sealing iron at 240 F, and just proceeded to use the very small bottom of the iron at the tip to slowly trace out very small circles (1/4" diameter?) in an area till the covering was really stuck down strong. I suppose on a piece 3"x5", it took about 20 minutes to a half hour to finish it. The result is pretty uniform application with an 'almost' blemish free surface.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Wow, that's quite an operation compared to what I was doing. After tacking it down, I was only wiping across the area with the flat part of the iron twice. And my iron has a sock on it - which probably has some effect on the bond as well.

Best regards, Richard
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:37 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
Hi Richard,

I put the tape only on the backing on a corner, with some tape sticking out, then hold the tape with left thumb and forefinger, thumb on the sticky side, then use other 3 fingers underneath to kind of bend/fold (but NOT crease) the film, usually the film just pops away from the backing, if not, then I just kind of "feather" the corner away from the tape, and it separates.

Sometimes it doesn't work, then I try again at a different corner.

Hope that helps.
Hi Galaxiex,

That sure does help. I'm going to try it when I get through here.

Regards, Richard
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Covering Carbon Composite

Are there any problems to expect when covering carbon fiber rod on a wing L.E.?
Last edited by rckowal; Feb 14, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Multi Color Covering

Before I try & mess it up, can some tell me the best covering sequence to use in order to get a multi color wing like this one? Post #326

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...534873&page=22

My big concern is getting a good looking color overlap of the white where it meets with the yellow and the blue Solite.

Richard
Last edited by rckowal; Feb 18, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:32 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Subscribing

Hello, all.

I'm building a Telemaster 66 and will be covering it soon. Just subscribing here. Thanks for all of the great info! I may need to ask some questions in the next few weeks, but I'll read all of the previous posts first so I don't cover old ground.

Thanks!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Just Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf
Hello, all.

I'm building a Telemaster 66 and will be covering it soon. Just subscribing here. Thanks for all of the great info! I may need to ask some questions in the next few weeks, but I'll read all of the previous posts first so I don't cover old ground.

Thanks!

Bob
Dear Bob,

Don't worry about "covering old ground". Just ask away! Good luck on your project.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea