HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
Trex 450 SE V2 most common part break after crash?

Hi Everyone
I just got a new Trex 450 SE new V2! ,and since I’m beginner I’m expecting few crashes , well....I hope not too much... but I was wondering what is the common part of the heli break in a regular crash I mean beside Blades of course ,because I would like to buy some spar parts for the Trex and wanted to keep with me as I go to practice on the field .

As well I would like to know what the common part that needs been check more often?

Thank you to let me know
Chris
cprelot is offline Find More Posts by cprelot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:32 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
Dampers!! Get True Blood dampers from ReadyHeli.com
Main Shaft and Main gear.
Feathering Shaft.
Flybar.
Landing gear.
Belt.
Tail Rotor blades.
(Not so common)
Paddles.
Tail shaft.
Boom.
Canopy.

This is all that I have broken in 7 crashes.

Note:
Replace the metal canopy mount with plastic ones. Do this and you will save yourself a frame.
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
True Blood dampers for a beginner!?!? That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Also, get some Gorilla Gear from www.rchover.com It has saved me from having to replace the gear on my heli about twice the number of packs I've gone through (Granted, I've only flown like 6 packs )
StarmanDXE is offline Find More Posts by StarmanDXE
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
Wow! Thank you I will make sure I have those parts on my next shopping list then
What about the Blade for the SE V2? Should I need buy couple 325 pro , 315 ,or 335 pro blade from Align...not sure but I assume the number is the length "mn" is that right? So it's mean better to go for the longest one for Beginner right?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
How much of a beginner are you? Is this your first helicopter ever?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
Well... yes and no...I have beside this new Trex a Mini Zoom EP100pro for about 2 weeks now and I have about 2 hours total flight, I can hover ,steady no problem also flight back and forward... but the Mini Zoom are very small and sensitive for learning I think and it's not recommended for a beginner ,I mean I would like something more secure and bigger ,more stable and that's why I bought a bigger scale Heli like the trex450....I also have lot's of hours flight on my PhoenixRC Sim...and I do pretty good ,as I practice 1~2 hours everyday

But yes I can say is my really first helicopter that I'm expecting lot's of practice with it....so any advice for the Trex will be welcome

Thanks
Chris
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
Oh, wow. Then you'll be fine. As long as you take it slow and know what to expect (e.g. that it's going to want to tip over to the left as you're taking off). Also, I would suggest watching some of the core Finless setup videos over at HeliFreak: http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=12455

I see you've got an account over there already so, getting the videos shouldn't be a problem for you
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:11 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprelot
Well... yes and no...I have beside this new Trex a Mini Zoom EP100pro for about 2 weeks now and I have about 2 hours total flight, I can hover ,steady no problem also flight back and forward... but the Mini Zoom are very small and sensitive for learning I think and it's not recommended for a beginner ,I mean I would like something more secure and bigger ,more stable and that's why I bought a bigger scale Heli like the trex450....I also have lot's of hours flight on my PhoenixRC Sim...and I do pretty good ,as I practice 1~2 hours everyday

But yes I can say is my really first helicopter that I'm expecting lot's of practice with it....so any advice for the Trex will be welcome

Thanks
Chris
well if you can hover the mini zoom you will be able to fly a rex no problem...

bwt

HS has made a nice list for ya... that should be all you need.. and must parts are very cheap and come with 2-3 per bag!
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
Well, I decided to go about trying some side-in hovering yesterday. Apparently I wasn't ready!

Casualties include:

-main blades
-main shaft
-main gear
-flybar
-tail boom
-horizontal stabilizer

Also:

-one of my servos grinds (HS-65MG )
-haven't checked feathering shaft
-replacing paddles and tail blades with Gorilla stuff (mainly just 'cause I wanted to But they did get scuffed)

How topical of me...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:12 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
SM,

Where did you get your Gorilla paddles and etc..?
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
Ordered the Gorilla Stuff from www.rchover.com

Ordered pretty much everything else from www.tech-mp.com since they were the only ones I could find that had Align Pro 325 Woodies in stock. But, now it seems that rchover has the wood blades
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:15 AM
Arkansas
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
Noticed that he asked about blades earlier. I'm curious also, whats the pros/cons to 325's vs 315's?
TrumpetRhapsody is offline Find More Posts by TrumpetRhapsody
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:38 AM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
Here's a current thread on the subject: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710844
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:36 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Starman—

FWIW: I spent quite a bit of time (and parts) learning to hover side-in with the Blade CP Pro before doing it with the Trex. I can hold micro closer and lower to see what the h*ll it is doing in time to correct. After I could hover side-in pretty steadily on both sides with the blade, it was almost instinctual when I flew the Trex.

True, I dumped the Blade a bunch of times and said some words Aunt Minnie would have hated to hear. Although I have a fairly large indoor room to fly in, flying in a gym or warehouse would have been less damaging. But I am happy not to have subjected the SE to more punishment than necessary!

Lately I have been working on forward flight at increasing altitudes, speed, and banked turns with the Blade. Today when I flew the Trex for the first time in three weeks I was surprised at how much more steady I was on the sticks.

Being a 450, it went pretty far and high when I gave it a bit of throttle and forward elevator. But where I might have bobbled it and gotten in trouble before, I put on the brakes and hovered at 30+ feet, 70 feet or so away, while I decided what I wanted to do next.

Everyone talks about how 'twitchy' the Blade is, and it is very responsive. You whip the tail around and angle out of trouble in a heartbeat. But you know what? The blade goes straighter flying right to left than the Trex. I think the more powerful tail rotor on the 'Rex pushes harder to left—toward the pilot—than the little tail motor on the Blade.

Anyway, I'm more comfortable throwing the Blade around than the Trex, and the smaller heli has become a gas to fly. Today's flights with my larger all-CNC baby confirmed that this is a good dual combo for flight school.

Glen
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Jul 13, 2007 at 10:45 PM.