Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Night flying with LED's

Hi All

When i get my Ztron i want to try night flying outdoors with these LED's

http://maplin.co.uk/products/module....84&modulecode=

They require a voltage of 2v, but my batt will give closer to 5v, could i wire them in series (there are three), or use resistors?

If i can use resistors, what value should i use?

Thanks

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2002, 03:23 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,178 Posts
IMO, those LED's are not bright enough. The red one shows the highest output and it is only 200mcd. You want {at least} ten times more brightness.

If you need help with chosing the required resistors then you should visit the "LED Calculator" page. Link is shown on the
RC-CAM Project Page: Click Here.

There is other valuable info discussed there too. You will also find an interesting nightime airborne video on the "Nav-Lights" Page.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
www.rc-cam.com
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Nov 09, 2002, 04:27 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Thanx, great link

It is just for close range night flying with Z-tron.

By close i mean across a street and back

Would they be powerful enough then?

Josh
Old Nov 09, 2002, 05:32 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,876 Posts
With just one or two very bright LEDs you could have the whole plane lit up. Mind you, if you are flying under street lights, some less powerfull LEDs might be OK.

I used to fly a small Kolibri outside at night. Somtimes it would fly out of the light from the street light and the only indication of its location was the tiny SMD LED on the ESC. I pays to have a plane with predictable performance in this case, so you know in which direction your were heading last and what control input you need to get it back. Exciting and I actually never crashed it this way

Michael

PS I am not sure outside flying with IR is a good idea unless you know you can keep the model close. What happens if you loose range?: Bye, bye model. (and UFO sightings in the area )
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 09, 2002, 05:35 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
HEHE

I was thinking about the UFO's too

I think that IR is ok at night, although not great.

It would be fun though, and it can go too far, it would be surrounded by trees and houses

Josh
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,998 Posts
Based on my experience, an LED for night flying ought to be something like 1500 or 2000 mcd minimum, but it's easy to find these. Set it up to shine on a translucent wing. Principle for the dropping resistor is v=ir where v is volts, i is amps, and r is resistance in ohms. So for dropping 3 volts to leave 2 for the LED from a 5 volt supply, assuming the led is 40mah (aka 0.04amps) then you need 75 ohms. I suppose this thread is stale by now, tho.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:01 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
I crashed my bit Minnow into a tree the other night because I didnt have LEDS. I was walking down the street flying doing circles and at the end of the entrance to my apartment complex there is a hillside with trees that gets steeper on one side and the other side of the road is lined with trees. It was getting closed in and darker the further I went so I decided to turn around in fear of loosing site then I hit a tree heading back. Luckily I was able to climb up and shake it out with no damages.
If I would have had an LED I would have waited till I was in a
more open space to turn it around and not panic.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner