SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by MULLETED, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
windbagger
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2007
16 Posts
Discussion
boats under construction

G'day all,
Here are a couple of pictures of my Monsoon and Surmount in various stages of completion. Neither has been sea-trialed and both seem to change day by day.
I havent built or sailed a yacht in a long time and saw this pair and thought they might be just what I need to get back into the game.
I have an interest in anything "scale-ish" from boats to planes to cars, tanks and trains.
It should also be noted that my boat modelling skills have not improved over the years of inactivity and it feels like I am using a hammer to drive a thumb tack.
MULLETED is offline Find More Posts by MULLETED
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:01 AM
windbagger
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2007
16 Posts
As I am unable to get near water for another couple of days but have a little bit of time to mess with rigging I thought I might use a strong fan to try to simulate a breeze and move the boat stands to get different attitudes.
I dont know what wind speeds the fan generates (12knts??), but it causes the yachts to heel nicely in their stands (this will probably end badly ).
There is assuredly a good reason why I shouldn't use a fan, but it has already highlighted inadequacies in my trim, and is also a bit of fun .
The Monsoon sail winch seems to be struggling to haul in the sheets so I have put 2 fulcrums(?) in to quarter the effort. It still seems to struggle and I have lost 30+30 degrees of boom travel (120 remain).
But if 120 degrees is okay I can use the rearmost chainplates (holes in deck, cp's just move back) and possibly remove the back-stay.
This would allow me to lengthen the boom to get more control of the main-foot shape, as at the moment the clews are hard to ends on boom (same as jib).
But the real reason I would like to rearset the chainplates is to be forced to make swept back spars as I do like the look.
I think the penny has finally dropped as to why my rigging looks so odd - will fix tonight and post photos of corrected rig pronto.
MULLETED is offline Find More Posts by MULLETED
Old May 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
hi mulleted, just wondering. did you ordered the surmount and monsoon and then just customized it?coz it really looks good and i bet it's pretty sturdy with wind. since the Monsoon 900 has the reputation of being a bit jittery even on light winds.
brainox is offline Find More Posts by brainox
Old May 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
51 Posts
i wonder what happened to this project??

i think what he did was order and tweak it.. he put a lot of effort with the work. from the looks of it, the outcome must be fantastic.
zacsparrow is offline Find More Posts by zacsparrow