Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Yippee!
The First Ever UK-AP Meeting in Wales 2007

Let’s get the show on the road then!

After many months planning our first National meeting was suddenly upon us, time to pack up our tents and planes and head off the North Wales around the town of Llangollan. I was to be taken to the meeting by ‘Chargenut’ Terry along with ‘English Electric’ Paul in a car sharing exercise. After a phoned warning by ‘Hogster’ David informing us of a road closure on the main motorway, we changed our route to arrive at the campsite much later than planned.

Once there we met up with ‘Swanlander’ Andrew and his wife, ‘Bearded flyer’ Richard, ‘Londoner100’ Ian and ‘Badllarma’ Andy who was going to record the event on video for us.

Once the tents were put up we were very kindly given permission to fly in a field close to the campsite by David & Judith the site owners.

We all had a fly around getting our first chance at AP before firing up the BBQ and were later joined by Hogster & Steffi. David did a panoramic picture for us no doubt he will post a link to it during the course of this thread.

We will be posting reports on the event in sequence by location to location visited. A very big thanks to Ray Jones and the flyers of the Clwyd Soaring Association for making these locations available to us.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Awesome shot there Gray

I took 3 panoramas over the course of the 2 days, and they can be found in the Panorama Portfolio section of my website:

http://www.horizonimaging.net/panorama_portfolio.htm

The first one (5th on the website) was taken on the Aqueduct next to the B&B where Steffi and I stayed. The second was taken at the top of the hill which overlooked the second flying location. The third is of the campsite (with many members absent as they were 'down the pub'!)

Cheers,

David

PS. I didn't get any flying done as the weather on the Sunday was not HeliAP-friendly
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:01 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,397 Posts
Wonderful picture and beautiful setting! We all wish we could be with all of you. A great time of fellowship, flying, and eating! I noticed that several of you are wearing jackets, is it cold over there, or at least cool? The picture you posted above looks like a great picture to miniaturize, like the pictures posted on the forum a while back. I tried to do that but I don't have the software. Gray, I'm glad you are much better and that your leg has healed. Did it give you any trouble out there? Can't wait till everyone posts all their videos and pictures.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
A big thanks to Grey for organizing the event had a great time I was a bit concerned the first day as this is the first time I tried to capture/video planes and there speed surprised me a bit but rest assured people some great footage is in the bag and looking forward to your contributions for the edit
Badllarma is offline Find More Posts by Badllarma
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:02 PM
Chester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
101 Posts
I posted my efforts here: http://loolee.org/projects/aircam/in...y070710-080000

Gray: Beautiful scene. Impressed.
davef27 is offline Find More Posts by davef27
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
What a Fantastic Weekend!

It couldn't really go wrong as all the right ingrediants were present, a nice group of like-minded people, an amazing location, good weather when we needed it and a Pub.

Cheers Gray for all your efforts it making it happen.

Looking forward to a re visit at some point....

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:11 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
Link to the video I took at the field next to the Train Station.

Easystar flying over Carrog Station, Wales (4 min 17 sec)

Paul.

P.S. I seem to have gained a Green handled Tea Spoon over the Weekend!
If the owner wants to PM me their address, I'll post it to them!

I assume it's yours, Swanlander......
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:17 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
I don't know how you did it, but thank you for making the rain stop!
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
West London
Joined May 2006
147 Posts
Well I have got to say that it was a great weekend away, it was good to meet everyone, putting some faces to names. There are so many people to thank Gray for organising, Paul for the loan of the camera mount, Swanlander and Mrs Swanlander for the tea, Terry for his sense of humor and Ray for his ability to find spots to fly and local knowledge. Despite crashing another plane (confidence outwaying ability this time) To every one else, cheersfor a good weekend and hope we do it again soon.

Ian
londoner100 is offline Find More Posts by londoner100
Last edited by londoner100; Jul 11, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
I can only echo the others comments on how well the meet went. Words cannot describe how well we got on from the first time that we met. It was enjoyable from the start until the time when we had to say our 'tearful' goodbyes.

Only ground photos from me for the Saturday. I was saving myself for the Sunday (and the delicious Steak and Stout Pie at the Pub in the Evening).

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:11 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Wonderful picture and beautiful setting! We all wish we could be with all of you. A great time of fellowship, flying, and eating! I noticed that several of you are wearing jackets, is it cold over there, or at least cool? The picture you posted above looks like a great picture to miniaturize, like the pictures posted on the forum a while back. I tried to do that but I don't have the software. Gray, I'm glad you are much better and that your leg has healed. Did it give you any trouble out there? Can't wait till everyone posts all their videos and pictures.

Hi QB, thanks for the reply, leg is much better thanks. It was a bit nippy at times but the weather was generally kind to us.

Gray.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Great pictures and it looks like you all had a blast. What great fun. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef27
I posted my efforts here: http://loolee.org/projects/aircam/in...y070710-080000

Gray: Beautiful scene. Impressed.
Thanks Dave.

PM sent for you to contact Ray Jones.

Gray
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
Great pictures and it looks like you all had a blast. What great fun. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Loads more to come Dan!!

Gray