tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:12 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
855 Posts
I will be picking mine up over lunch today. I will hopefully post some pictures tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
I'm your Huckleberry
Texas
Joined Jan 2002
78 Posts
Subscribed
Bandito is offline Find More Posts by Bandito
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
I picked up the Extra 260 at the LHS last evening on my way to a meeting. Didn't get home 'til quite late so all I was able to do was to pull everything out of the box and briefly look it over. I laid all the parts on the bench and shot a few pictures to give you guys a chance to look it over. One of the first things I noticed was the relatively thin airfoil as compared to the Seagull Extra 300 I'm currently flying. This, I believe, follows what Scott and Ben have done at 3D Hobbyshop on the SHP. As I do not have a SHP (yet) I cannot directly compare the two, but the airfoil is noticebly thinner.
Because the big question is going to be the weight I took all the parts in the box and weighed them on my kitchen scale. I left some of the smaller parts in the bags so I realize that this weight is just going to be a ballpark number. The number I ended up with is 17.0 ounces, this is about 1 to 1-1/2 ounces less than the Seagull Extra 300 so it looks like we're on the right track.
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:16 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
looks good --i like the new found attention to detail such as the pre drilled cowl.

how thick are the tail feathers?
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
829 Posts
Ok, you have done this too, right!!! Go into LHS to buy a gallon of fuel and the latest reading material, and what happens!! New Eflite 260, 4 new servos, 40 amp SC and since the 480 wasn't in stock, a Power 10 motor. After reading some post on the Fliton im wondering if i should trade the motor back and get the 480 when he gets it. I believe Horizon says availible mid to late august???? As to battery he is getting the new THunderpower extreme 2100 3 cell. Im for more power but is this over doing it???
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:39 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
855 Posts
Ah you beat me to it rcdawg. The kit looks great. Couple things I notice are: the elevator is not balance. Im sure their was a reason for it. Aluminum landing gear. Sweet now the fuse will break instead of the landing gear. I am a little concerned about the motor box having to carry the load of the battery.

rcdawg what do you think about reenforcing the motor box?

I was surprized to see the covering on the wing is clear on the bottom.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
With the 480 motor and a light (5oz) 3s 2100, we're looking at approx 28 oz AUW.

I have a feeling the rudder won't be as effective as the Fliton 260, but the Eflite is much more scale.

I think the motor box will be fine (from the pics), it extends back to the 2nd fuse former.
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974
Ah you beat me to it rcdawg. The kit looks great. Couple things I notice are: the elevator is not balance. Im sure their was a reason for it. Aluminum landing gear. Sweet now the fuse will break instead of the landing gear. I am a little concerned about the motor box having to carry the load of the battery.

rcdawg what do you think about reenforcing the motor box?

I was surprized to see the covering on the wing is clear on the bottom.
I'll look the motor box over a little closer tonight and post my thoughts. I hope to get a start on the build but need to gather up a few more items. I need a couple more 55's (going to use 4) and I'm also going to pick up a couple of the E-flite ultra lightweight extensions and "y" harness. I'm thinking 29 oz. or maybe even 28 oz. is attainable with a stock set up.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:40 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
How much does everything weigh?

Also, can you measure the wing at the root and at the tip?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
how thick are the tail feathers?

Looks like about 4mm. Overall, the plane looks good. Should be a good choice in the size class. I'm going to fly this one this weekend, should know more then.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:52 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
How much does everything weigh?

Also, can you measure the wing at the root and at the tip?
I came up with 17 ounces which is everything in the box (I left the small hardware in the plastic bags). I'll measure the wing and calculate the area later this evening when I can finally get out of the office.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Looks like 27-30 Oz AUW.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:08 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher

Should be a good choice in the size class. I'm going to fly this one this weekend, should know more then.
I'd be cool if 3DHS would do something in this size, there must be a million 480's out there by now. Unfortunately I assume it's a bit to close in size to your current offerings. I think in my club of about 50 members there are probably 15+ guys who have at least one 480.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:18 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam51401
Ok, you have done this too, right!!! Go into LHS to buy a gallon of fuel and the latest reading material, and what happens!! New Eflite 260, 4 new servos, 40 amp SC and since the 480 wasn't in stock, a Power 10 motor. After reading some post on the Fliton im wondering if i should trade the motor back and get the 480 when he gets it. I believe Horizon says availible mid to late august???? As to battery he is getting the new THunderpower extreme 2100 3 cell. Im for more power but is this over doing it???

your setup will be very powerful, unlimited vertical will be a given, my buddy uses that power 10 + 20C 2100's in his katana md at well over 35oz and gets unlimited vertical from a 12x6 drawing about 36A, your cells are actually 2070mah not 2100 if they are the extremes.. heavy, very heavy setup for this plane at least to 3d. If your other plane is a .40 P51 mustang with a .90 glow, a larger gas tank, large servo, old school large receiver, air retracts, pilot, 1lb of epoxy repairs and glassed fuse this will probably feel light to you...

I Just don't know what you're looking for in terms of flight characteristics.. Does the motor even fit inside the cowling? you might have to shorten the motor box quite a bit to fit it, the 480 is a very short can while the power 10 is ridiculously long (the base of the stator is like 1/2 inch longer of solid, dead weight than it needs to be)

Some people flew their seagull extras like that and are convinced that they liked it. I assume they were more into sport planes because yes you can prop hang (with a 2.5:1 power to weight ratio and big surfaces how could you not!) but it will be a flying brick. by my standards that setup is way too heavy for 3D

As for reinforcing the motor mount; from the looks of it all it needs is a good once-over all the joints with carpenter's glue, epoxy or my favorite; gorilla glue.

Are you SURE the pack will go way up front? I am sure sam's pack will sit way farther back due to his brick of a motor.

by the way, that power 10 motor weighs 20 grams more and is only capable of swinging smaller props than a PA thrust 30 or extreme flight torque 2818/900 Plus on a 12x6 i had same vertical performance from my 15C pack near low voltage cutoff than his 50% charged 20C pack had in a vertical drag race. Just for laughs, we will measure amps watts and rpm's on his setup vs mine. Confident mine is FTW with same rpm and fewer amps.

Sam, does your LHS carry anything other than eflite when it comes to motors? I'd be asking him for something that weighs about 2.5 oz, spins a 11 or 12" prop making 40-50 oz thrust and drawing about 25A if i were you. Then i'd look into some 1300 to 1500mah 20C lipos.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz