HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:44 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Question
Which large, non-foamie F-86? (was: Retracts on K&A F-86 Sabre?)

I'm looking to build an EDF F-86 Sabre and I'm torn between getting a K&A or waiting for the fully molded EJF F-86 to become available. I do not want a foam plane or a "belly flopper" as I have a very nicely paved runway available.

I know the K&A is much smaller than the EJF, but it is available now and seems to be a good flyer. Not sure if adding retracts would ruin it due to weight, though.

Any thoughts? I've done some searches but not turned anything up.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Jul 09, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2007, 12:25 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
Kens f86 is pretty small..its about the same as the alfa in size so retracts would be hard to do...But could be done but the weight might kill the performance!
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:15 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks Scott.

So, since the EJF is not available, and the K&A too small, if I want to ROG with an EDF F-86 I guess I have to go with the Jet Hangar plane? Unless someone knows of another option. I guess the HOB kit from DuctedFans.com?

I am trying to avoid the larger and/or higher $$$ offerings from BVM and DuctedFans.com.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:20 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
There was a guy (sblack) I think that had a slightly larger f86.I dont know if he is still producing them.
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:22 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I saw the Scott Black kits, too, but I don't know how to source one, and I think they were intended for bungee launch & belly flop. My club has a nice 400' smooth paved runway, no reason not to take advantage of it

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2007, 03:24 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Is the EJF F-86 not available at all? If you really want an F-86 in the 90mm size range it's the only one out there that I can think of...you'll just have to build the wing (foam is easier than balsa). Tamjets was working on one in that size range but it's been delayed. It's made by ? (I don't recall the name of the chinese or taiwanese company that makes it at the moment, I've got it bookmarked somewhere, maybe someone else knows). I don't know how hard it is to order direct though and it may be a tough build, not being designed for edf.

The K&A is a lot smaller, Wattage F-86 sized. I've got one unbuilt, I doubt I'll ever get to it.

I think the next Jet Hangar ARF will be an F-86 but no idea when they are coming out.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:48 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Th EJF F-86 is currently listed as out of stock on the EJF website and per an email I got from them, they are "working on getting this complete during the summer." It will be full composite wing (along with the fiberglass fuse) which will be cool, and they are trying to add as many scale features as possible (hopefully that means flaps).

DuctedFans.com lists the HOB F-86 as available, which IIRC was partly the basis for the EJF offering (along with the PFS F-86). Not sure if this is a "new old stock" HOB kit or what, haven't inquired yet.

Jet Hangar has a larger F-86 for IC ducted fan and/or turbine, but it uses a bigger fan and I think I'd prefer to stay with the 90mm size if possible... somewhat reduced costs all around I believe.

Any other suggestions out there?

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:30 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,987 Posts
Steve,
That HOB must be old stock due to EJF bought the molds and rights to the original HOB F-86 kit a number of years ago. The HOB F-86 makes a great EDF with wheels. If you can find a HOB kit (try Ebay) great if not I would wait on Robert's all fiberglass one. I know I'm waiting for it!
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:41 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks Bob, I think your advice is sound. I would rather have one optimized for EDF, and heck, if it's all composite that's great too

Hopefully it's ready soon. I want to do the plane my wife's dad flew in the Patrulla Ascua, the Spanish Air Force equivalent of the Blue Angels / Thunderbirds.

Thanks,

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Hob/pfs F-86

Yes, we purchased the copyrights and all the tooling and have had it for over 5 years now. we did sell some kits however people don't have time to build like the good old days. no old or new stock in the distribution, just past kits showing up on eBay. We also have the P-51 and Pitts that are very nice.

We are updating the tooling since it's over 35 years old. Everyone should enjoy the updates.

That link is showing a picture of a 1/18 scale 21st Century display model. Morris at DF is well known for ignoring Copyrights and content from others. a sales gimmick I'm told to try and sell something different.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:10 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Robert, could you please confirm whether or not the updated F-86 will have flaps?

Air brakes would be nice, but flaps sort of mandatory IMHO...

So the DuctedFans.com F-86 is a complete ripoff of the plane you own rights to? And they advertise it with a plastic display model? Not too kosher, if you ask me... definitely not going that route

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,987 Posts
The HOB/EJF F-86 does not need flaps. Over the years I have built 5 glow versions and 4 EDF versions. They slow down to a walk for landing. Also no problem taking off of grass (glow version use larger wheels). Flaps could be added but not required.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks Bob! Learning more every day. Most appreciate it. Don't have a spare EDF one looking for a new home near the beach, do you?

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:27 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,211 Posts
The HOB/PSF/EJF F-86 has full length ailerons. I just cut a section of the aileron and used it for flaps. As Bob said not required, but it was easy to do and it does help it slow down for a nice landing.

Ken
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:34 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,956 Posts
The JHH F-86 is only 2" more wing span ....i can't see why it would'nt fly with a really good 90mm set up ...or the E turbax..but if you have a 90mm set up give them a call ...i know it flys well cause i had 2 of them...way back in the 80's....but if you are looking for a arf then the JHH is out for now as i think it's only a kit.not hard to build though.good luck.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY