SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2 Posts
Mini Cat Build log for listing

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your great Solent thread! Bravo!

Here is another build log from Ivan's plans you could list; it is for the minicat and goes back to 2005. Just an FYI for the list...

I can't seem to paste in the link, but it is under >Scale Electric Planes> PBY Catalina

It is a build log of the Mini-Cat, by Warren Jones. I'm helping my Dad built a mini-cat, and we have learned a lot from this log.

Thanks for all your posts!

Eric (hp18mn)
hp18mn is offline Find More Posts by hp18mn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:34 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,442 Posts
Here is the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412146

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Aug 01, 2007, 01:54 AM
Joined May 2001
2,951 Posts
Wow, can't believe I missed that one somehow. Unbelievably I never saw it before, even though it's been around for years. Well, a link to it has been added in the list, and also a picture in the Hall of Fame. That thing is getting long!

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Aug 02, 2007, 03:48 PM
Barendrecht, Netherlands
Joined May 2001
131 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm building Ivans first design, the DeHavilland Dragon Rapide. No one else building that one??
Cees Kraaijeveld is offline Find More Posts by Cees Kraaijeveld
Old Aug 02, 2007, 06:32 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,442 Posts
I've got that plan, but it will be a while before I can start on it. Lovely looking bird though, and I expect it will do very well for you.

Thayer
Old Aug 03, 2007, 10:14 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,772 Posts
Historic plane! De Havilland did build some beautiful machines. I've been reading about the Spanish Civil War and it won't come as a complete surprise if I say that we British helped the Fascists in many ways. It was a Dragon Rapide, chartered from London that flew General Franco to Morocco to take charge of the Spanish Army of Africa. Once the Nazis had helped him to transport this army to Spain they waged a cruel and brutal campaign, suppressing the Republicans.

Still a beautiful plane, though!

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 03, 2007, 12:13 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
You can still get experience flights in a Dragon Rapide at Duxford, can't remember the price but it sure sounds really nice as it takes off - really smooth.
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Today my father and I asked Ivan if we could come out and join him and Hal to test fly my dads Sealand at the Pond in Chilliwack. It was a perfect day for the test flight. There was no wind at all.

Here are a few pictures of the day.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:24 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Nice pics and congrats on the maiden
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
FlyingPenQuinn
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2007
92 Posts
If Only Could Plan the Support Vehicles for Mars

Hi Everyone,

Ran across this today: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726471

The post, although not quite about Ivan's plans, is about the support vehicles for the Martin Mars duo in BC. Nice pics. Maybe someone could come up with the tractor-trailer model in support of his/her Mars?

Should we encourage the poster to post the pics here?

Quinn
QuinnH is offline Find More Posts by QuinnH
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:02 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
I am thinking of getting my feet wet, in building from plans that is. However I know from previous control line plan building and wing repairs that my wing ribs will come out a bit wavy. I see the Mosquito is offered as a semi kit. Anyone cutting for the others. Sealand and Mars interest me the most; but I think it will be a retirement project.
DavidN
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
As far as I know the only one that has been semi kitted is the Mosquito. It would be great to see one day if someone else would pickup some of the flying boats.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
Hi Colin
Another option would be a good laser cutter who will use contest grade balsa and can use the plans rather than me having to provide electronic files.

Another thought. Anyone have the required electronic files. wing ribs for Sealand and Mars.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,442 Posts
Don't put it off for a retirement project. You will miss out on too much fun flying between now and then!

Making ribs that are not wavy is not hard, you just can't freehand them with an x-acto. For a wing that tapers like the Solent, the easiest way is to make a template out of Formica, thin ply or aluminum flashing for both the root and tip ribs. Drill them to take a pair of 3/16 or 1/4-inch bolts. Now rough cut enough rib blanks for both wings, drill to match the templates, and sandwich all the blanks between the templates.

Shape this block using a coarse sanding block. I would start with 60 grit, then move to finer papers as you get close to the final shape. 150 would be plenty fine enough. If you have one, a sharp razor plane would be a better place to start, just because the shavings don't float around as much as sawdust.

Once you get the rib block smooth, notch for the spars using a doubled hacksaw blade, or a piece of spar stock with a strip of 120-grit paper glued to it.

Now separate the sandwich, and set aside matching pairs of ribs. Yes, one rib will be smaller than its partner in each pair, but the difference will not be that significant. If it bothers you, you can pass each pair by the sanding block, so that you have identical pairs.

The one trick with most of the Ivan plans I have (DH Comet, Solent 400 and 480) is that he is drooping the leading edge of the wing beyond the outer nacelles to help control tip stalls. This transition would necessitate an extra set of templates. Not the end of the world, but a little bit of extra work. If you don't mind stretching the envelope a bit, you could use just the conventional root profile and the drooped tip, and let the transition occur across the entire span, instead of abruptly at the nacelle. I can't imagine it hurting the handling at all.

Having done it both ways, I am confident that if I shut down the computer and go down to the shop, I can make templates and a set of tapered ribs in this traditional manner faster than I can CAD them up and put in all the notches and trims for the spars, and the leading and trailing edges. And that doesn't take into account the delay of sending the file off, having the parts cut, and waiting for them to come back to me.

Don't get me wrong, I do think lasers are great. I just know you don't need one to build a great model.

I would be surprised if someone has a file for the rib sets. Creating a cutting file for one of Ivan's models really means redrawing the entire wing in CAD. Ivan's plans are not accurate enough to just scan and cut.

Thayer
Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
I hand make the ribs by copying the ribs on the plan onto plain paper and then pricking through the paper onto the balsa with a pin.
I them cut the rib out slightly beyond the pricking, and use that as a template for the second rib.
I then put the 2 together and sand them both down to the prick line.

It actually does not take that long to do either.
This has worked well for both of my IP machines.

Strangely Ivans' Chipmunk does not show the drooped leading edges and it flies wonderfully so I left them off the Mosquito too with no ill effects.
I can't seem to tip stall either of them, although I do have differential set up on the ailerons.

I sent Ivan a recent picture of my Mosquito with some more details added and recieved a nice reply from him.