Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Nick

The all black Mossie is actually very easy to keep orientation on.
Even against a really black cloud, it is still very visible.
Not only that, the size and speed of flight of this machine makes it quite easy to take time and check orientation with a gentle turn.
The stabillity of this and the Chipmunk allow me to fly alone in the park, since I can do my own spotting prior to landing with the confidence that the machines will be where I left them doing what I left them doing.

As so far as the NACA cuffs, my Mossie certainly does not need them.
That may be due to the light weight of it but I am fairly sure that I can get pretty close to turning BOTH the Chipmunk and the Mossie in about the same space as a standard 3' wingspan park flyer would under normal flight conditions without it biting me.
I certainly can get what I would call a floaty turn with no hassle.

The Mossie does not actually appear that fast due to its size, although I am sure it has exceeded 50mph in a dive because I have heard the props off load. At WOT the plane is pitched to about 54mph but I doubt it gets there in level flight. Might well do with 4S Lipos but it is not necessary.

I have never seen either get close to a tip stall, even when provoked, although I am sure that if I were to ballast them up quite a bit then I may get that reaction.

The cuffs are there to drop the LE of the outer panels so giving the same sort of help to the wing as washout would do and to slightly increase the camber of the wing.
I do not fully understand it but that is my grasp.
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2001
2,904 Posts
Nick, would you like me to post the picture of your MiniCat above into the hall of fame? If you have a different pic you'd like then email me, check your Private Messages for my address.

Luke

{EDIT} Picture posted!
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Last edited by LukeZ; Jul 19, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Many thanks for posting the picture Luke!

I'm presently organising a couple of observation blisters for the hull, made from the packaging for a computer mouse. And adding some decals too. I'll send you a new picture eventually. The other pictures in that collection are a very high standard to live up to. I've never met Ivan, but we had some email conversations around the time I bought the plans for the MiniCat. He seems a very interesting and industrious man. There was a movie recently about another "wild" New Zealander, Burt Monroe, called something like "The Fastest Indian on Earth" (the motorbike). Ivan says he met him once, you should see the movie, if you can get it.

Pentaxman

Your Mossie sounds exactly what I'm hoping for - plenty of speed, plenty of control and a really interesting piece of history. Just hope I can get it in my car! I notice you're also doing something with Peter Rake, I've seen his models at the Manzano Laser Works web site. They look pretty good too.

Do you get any interference by using the 2 outboard aileron servos? I noticed with my Zagi that servo leads are villains for picking up glitches and Ivan mentions that too. On the other hand I guess it's much easier to set things up using to servos instead of one big one. The retract floats on my Cat work with only one servo and it's difficult to stop them being floppy.

Keep up the good work, you guys.

all the best

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Nick

I have the same space / car issue as you will be having , hence the 2 piece wing with ply joiner.
Has worked fine so far and no sign of giving or bending at all.
I learned that it was going to be a problem after getting the one piece Chipmunk wing in the car, it was not going to happen with engine nacels fitted too.

As to my set up, I had real worries about some of the things I was going to do.
The twin aileron servo issue was one, the power & placement of the ESC's was another as was my proposed power set up and proping.

So far I have not had a single glitch of even a wiff of one.

I have run the servo cables down the front of the back wing spar, and the power cables to the esc's in the nacels through the front ribs of the LE (where the radiators air intakes are supposed to be).
Servo extensions are built to measure from an extension kit, power cables are hand built too using multi strand 20A automotive cable which is plenty beefy enough.
Low space means these are not twisted together but run side by side.

Aileron differential has been added as per Ivans notes (you have got them haven't you?), mine being done mechanically at the servos rather than relying on a computer Tx, that way I can buddy box it or fly it on my 2nd Tx if I get a breakdown, only change required is a Y adaptor for the aileron servo to Rx junction.

I guess the cable spacing is helping as is the fact that I am using brushless motors which do not generate noise like the brushes on brushed motors.

Peters stuff is pretty good too, here is not really the right place to discuss that, but yes I am doing quite a lot of stuff for him at the moment.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:54 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Me I would in time like to get a copy of all Ivans Plans one they are brilliant and his also links to NZ as well.

For Multi Engine these are the best designed plans bar non.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
I have the same space / car issue as you will be having , hence the 2 piece wing with ply joiner.
Me too; and that is why Colin now has Ivan's original Solant that I. I'll be building another one and it will have a 3 piece wing like the bigger Solant Lancaster and Mars. Make transport in a small car easier.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Thanks Luke. I don't think my pictures are as good as the ones in your hall of fame. Anway, expect an email. What a great thread this is!

Pentaxman

I guessed you'd say that about the cuffs, I'll build mine without, when I get round to it. Another question, Ivan suggests that outboard aileron servos might cause glitching problems due to the long leads. I noticed with my Zagi that servo leads can be a really bad cause of problems. You clearly don't have anything wrong with yours. My retracts on the Catalina are a bit floppy due to trying to use a single servo instead of two outboard ones. It's a bit easier to get the fine tuning right if you have two different ones.

Nick
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Nick

I have no added protection for the servo extensions either, no ferrites or filters only a large air gap.

I may be helping that by running brushless motors instead of brushed, having an ESC in each nacel very close to the motors and placing the ESC to motor wiring 90 degrees to the servo runs so there is little chance to get the interferance.
All the power stuff runs along the LE or is forward of this point.

The Rx aerial runs from under the wing TE to the fin so really that is well away from the power system too.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:15 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Thanks Pentaxman

All sounds pretty logical to me. At least these "big" planes have plenty of room to keep things isolated. I've read also that twisting the power wires from the batteries to the ESCs would be good.

All the best. Have fun.

Nick
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2001
2,904 Posts
Lancaster Build

For those interested in the Lancaster, Ivan passed on these photos and message from Cam Tetrault recently. They are of his father Leo building the Lancaster. Leo also built the Comet which I posted some pictures of above, and of which there is a photo in the Hall of Fame.

Quote:
Here are some shots of my dad working on the Lancaster. The landing gear retraction is presenting a challenge, so production has slowed down, plus its hard to build when the weather is hot. I sent some "hero shots" of my dad when he flew with the RCAF. Thats him in the shots. He flew the Lanc out of PEI (Prince Edward Island) in 1954. His favorite plane to fly was the Neptune P2V7.
Looks like it's coming along real well to me!

I've also just today posted a picture of another fellow's Lancaster in the Hall of Fame. This photo also came to me via Ivan. He says it is of Mike Pirie's model, from Scotland.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:56 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Wow that looks to be a real cracker of a machine.

Cant wait to see pictures of that in the air.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 04:14 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,414 Posts
Yahooooo!!! rumble rumble rumble. Looks good.
Baldguy
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jul 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,703 Posts
Lancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
For those interested in the Lancaster, Ivan passed on these photos and message from Cam Tetrault recently. They are of his father Leo building the Lancaster.
Luke
I'm planning on building a Lancaster from Ivan's plans, very shortly. I'll be building it at 70% of Ivan's drawings. just setting the photocopier to 70% and resize the notches to a standard size.
I'll do a thread if there is enough interest.
Rick
P.S.
Edit:
those interested can P/M me rather than replying in this thread
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Last edited by RiBell; Jul 25, 2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add a PS
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
Crashing planes since '05
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
I have an assortment of images of Whimmapotamus's Bristol and PBY here, look in June Fly-In about 2/3'rds they way down for flying images of the PBY and a little farther down for its static shots.

Also look in The 06 Aug Memorial for both Static and Flying of both the Bristol and the PBY - the Bristol is pretty much at the beginning and the PBY is only caught on land in this set ... as luck would have it I happened to be flying at the same time he put it up in the air.
EP Dean is offline Find More Posts by EP Dean
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:01 PM
Port St. Lucie, FL
Joined Apr 2002
92 Posts
Sealand 480

Thanks for including me on the list. I am a big fan of Ivans planes, and it is good to see so many being built! I will try to get some new pictures. I really am so close to completing the structure, then I will have to cover, and finish. Feel free to use any pictures of mine.

Derek.
vwhed84 is offline Find More Posts by vwhed84