HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 09, 2007, 07:14 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimmapotamus

A friend hand-launched it and it flew out of his hands gracefully.

HAND LAUNCH?

You have some "stones" there whimmapotamus. I have a very good friend who also suggested we hand launch the Mars but I feared the worst and decided not to. But now I may re-think this idea. The Mars has enough power thats for sure so why not? I will try it!!!!! Beats a bungee any day.

Love your pictures. Very colorful. Beautiful........

Well here are some pics of my Mars ( as if you guys haven't seen enough of it already).

BTW, I just received the Ivan Mossie lazer cut SHORT kit from RT Models. Can't wait to see how well an "Ivan KIT" goes together. Parts look great! I am sure she will be a sweet flyer as is all of the masters planes.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Last edited by Rudderman98; Jul 10, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2007, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2001
2,912 Posts
Alright fellas, I've begun the "Hall of Fame" photo gallery in the first post of this thread. If you've built and flown an airplane from Ivan's designs, you qualify! Send me a picture and I'll post it.

There's a lot of projects currently underway, I know. I'm hoping as time goes on the Hall of Fame grows to be much larger than it is now.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Jul 09, 2007, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98

HAND LAUNCH?

You have some "stones" there whimmapotamus. I have a very good friend who also suggested we hand launch the Mars but I feared the worst and decided not to. But now I may re-think this idea. The Mars has enough power thats for sue so why not? I will try it!!!!! Beats a bungee any day.Perry
It was a breeze, really. He grabbed the fuze at both sides under the step, started a half-jog and I applied power. He gave a soft toss and it just lept into the air. In fact, I could probably do a scale hand-launch with less than full power.

I'll try to get some video next time out.

Edited afterthought: Come out to the Burnaby Lake scale meet this Sunday and watch it for yourself.
whimmapotamus is offline Find More Posts by whimmapotamus
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:37 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimmapotamus

I'll try to get some video next time out.

Edited afterthought: Come out to the Burnaby Lake scale meet this Sunday and watch it for yourself.
Yes please!

I'd love to come out and join you but I'll be installing a new engine in my SUV/ plane hauler.

Thanks!
Perry
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:51 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Geez, I feel honored to be included in the same group with all these amazing builders! My Solent is tenatively scheduled to maiden this Saturday....

Great pics from everybody! Glad to see Ivan's originals getting some air time and not becoming "hangar queens"!

I never tire of seeing your Mars in action Perry....

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:46 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
Anyone have a link to a Pettigrew Lanc build?

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see that too. I've got the plans sitting here just itching to start.
Baldguy
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2001
2,912 Posts
If there's a Lancaster build out there I'm not aware of it. Looks like one of you guys is going to have to be the one to do it. The good thing is you'll get showered with all the attention, curiosity and laurels from being the first one!

Luke
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:55 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
If there's a Lancaster build out there I'm not aware of it. Looks like one of you guys is going to have to be the one to do it. The good thing is you'll get showered with all the attention, curiosity and laurels from being the first one!

Luke
Hmmmm.............

Perry
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
I want to do mine before time catches up with my uncle, he flew them in the "big one" when he was a ripe old man of 21! He absolutely loved the big bird, says it barrelled roll real nice too!
Baldguy
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Baldguy

I don't know if you have heard of him but Alex Henshaw (test pilot in Birmingham during WWII) used to do exactly that manoever during testing when he got the chance. He was more known for his Spitfire work. There is a book very much worth reading by him called "Sigh for a Merlin". I was rivited.

Mountainman

Best of luck on the maiden of your machine at the weekend - I wish you all the sucess in the world - but of course you will not need it, Ivans stuff is superb.

I like you am honoured to be included in a list of such superb builds and builders.

Rudderman

I believe that most of Ivans models are able to be hand launched.
My Mosquito certainly falls into that catagory.
You just need hands the size of a gorillas to hold that wide fuselage.....

Luke

Congratulations on a superb thread.
Heaps of useful information and some cracking pics too.
I wish I could join you guys at Chilliwack sometime with a plane but it is a little too far to travel just now. Maybe one day.........
Mind you I would the have to make a decission as to which plane to bring with me which would be really difficult!
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2001
2,912 Posts
In case anyone missed it, this thread is now a sticky! Great stuff. We all know about Ivan's plans but in the future there are going to be lots of new people who browse through here who should now stumble across this. I hope it helps spread the word.

Pentax, yes, perhaps we should pick a central location for some date in 2010 and all meet together to fly. Not sure what a central location would be given how scattered we all are: perhaps the North Pole? And I really can't imagine how I would transport a plane as large as the Solent - it would almost certainly have to be shipped ahead of time. That would be a frightening thought... But a big Ivan reunion would sure be funner than a barrel of monkeys.

Luke
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:06 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
Pentaxman,
Yup, my uncle said he could do a at night, and no one in the back knew it happened! That's what they get for taking an aerobatics instructor and putting him into a bomber. When he finally bugged them enoug to send him overseas, he thought for sure he would be posted to fighter group, but the powers that be said, oh no it's off to bomber command with you. He said his check out on the Lanc was a 20 minute affair and the check pilot never touched a thing. My uncle found out later it was because the check out pilot had never flown one!

An IvanJamboree would be a great idea!
Baldguy
Old Jul 14, 2007, 01:00 AM
Joined May 2001
2,912 Posts
In case anyone's not subscribed to MountainMan's thread, he maidened the Solent today!

Three new pictures of Ivan's planes were added to the first post today as well. I bet by the end of the year we have a dozen. [EDIT - Actually by the end of August I already count 17]

Luke
Last edited by LukeZ; Sep 05, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:34 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
Anyone have a link to a Pettigrew Lanc build?

T
I have the plans
For me next up is the Solant. Depending on how fast the Solant comes together. I might start the Lanc, before finishing a Super Cub. Ivan drew the Lanc as a 100"ish span I've been thinking that it would be cool at about 70% of that; powered by IPS motors, as an indoor flyer. Still thinking about it.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell