HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2007, 02:42 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Discussion
F-18 Profile propjet - free plans!

Hi everyone.. been a while since a posted a new design! Here are the plans to a mid-wing mounted F-18 profile propjet. Its got a 28.25" wingspan, and a carbon fiber spar under the wing (use whatever spar you want to brace the wing). It uses a HK01 brashless motor (available at www.blackdogrc.com, I've had nothing but good experiences with Devaun and his company), throwing a GWS 7035HD prop - keeps the amp draw down and I can usually get a 10 minute high performance (for me that is ) flight on a 3s 1320 lipo. Video of the plane on a less than fully charged lipo can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710357

On a freshly charged pack, it flies faster and accelerates climbing straight up!

This plane is my third prototype and I'm pretty happy with the looks and the performance. Davereap and his F-15/SU-27 combo with the wider prop-slot was really the inspiration behind this one. I liked the flexibility of throwing a larger prop, and also the reduced CG sensitivity of having the mid-wing design.

No build guide on this one, but its pretty straightforward. I would route a slot for the spar, affix the motor mount, and hinge control surfaces before gluing it together. CG with the aforementioned motor and battery is approx 3" back from the front of the intakes.

If you decide to build one, please share your comments and feedback here in this thread! Thanks, and hope you enjoy.

EDIT: Added "full" version of plans, not sure if it will work out for those who asked or not. Had to set paper size to 24" x 60" even though the drawing size is just a little smaller.. Scale still appears to be correct, so you may just have a little scrap paper on the top and side.
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
Last edited by glovesave39; Jul 15, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:18 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
She's a Beauty Glovesave . The video was great. I take thats your backyard GS, you lucky Bugger. What an area to fly in.

Boy, it looks extremely agile and looks Fantastic in the air. A fantastic job. Thanks for the Tile plans. Definately on the build list.

Regards Box
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jul 12, 2007, 06:36 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Anyone out there building one yet? (shameless bump)
Old Jul 12, 2007, 06:55 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave39
Anyone out there building one yet? (shameless bump)
glad you did a shameless bump. I missed the thread the first time around. I'm going to download the plans and give it a shot. I just got done doing a beta test on a F-18 Blue Angels Formation Flyer, I guess now I gotta build a larger single one.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:58 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Glovesave39:

Nice little jet. Hopefully mine flies as good as yours. Thanks for the link to BDRC. Do you know the KV of that hk01 motor? Just wanted to compare it to what I got. Wow free shipping! Not bad prices. Might have to put one of the epp combat planes on my burthday list.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
I don't know what the Kv is of the hk01.. Devaun probably knows, I'll email him and ask.
Kyle
Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:14 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Joined Apr 2007
191 Posts
Where you been?this ones on the "build list"if i can find some ff.
2SMOKINBARRELS is offline Find More Posts by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Kyle,

What is your AUW for the 28"er? Any chance for a full-page version of the plans? I am getting into parkjets now and your F-18 looks pretty good, but I would like to scale it down a little for a lighter/lower amp setup.

-Anatoly
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:40 AM
Wichta Falls, Tx
Joined Mar 2006
21 Posts
Excellent plane. I just love the price of these plans.

Thanks,
FlyingClipper is offline Find More Posts by FlyingClipper
Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:44 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Thanks or the comments gang! AUW is 12.2oz (346 grams). I've posted a full size version of the plans in the first post, hope those work. I use CutePDF to convert the CAD drawing to PDF, and it forces me to select a paper size.. which in this case I selected 24" x 60" - its a little bigger than the drawing itself, but it appears to have retained the proper scale - just some extra paper on the top and sides. Let me know if it doesn't work out for you! I've emailed Devaun about the Kv of the HK01, so hopefully I will hear back from him soon.

I'm still having lots of fun with this plane. I wish I had the camera the other day - I was flying really low and slow (maybe 10 feet off the deck) in high alpha - almost hovering.. then I'd punch it and it would climb out almost straight up.. Really fun to see the acceleration! Maybe I'm amused easily

Happy building!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,573 Posts
Nice!!

GS39,

Nice job on the F-18, looks really good!!!

I just watched the Blue Angels fly, and now I'm all enthused about F-18's. Your design is definitley going on my build list.

Have you considered adding a bit of foam to the front to make it full fuse? Have a look at the RCSuperpowers web site. They have profile and full fuse version of the Mig 29 and Eurofighter. The little bit of foam up front really goes a long way toward the scale look!!

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,505 Posts
well thnx dude,i DLed the plans and def. will be on the table in a day or two.

Angel
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:45 AM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
ah so the fuz clicks together
any chance of a picture from below please ?
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Last edited by brucej; Jul 16, 2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:17 AM
Pensacola, Fl
Joined Jun 2007
12 Posts
Hi,
isi it possible to get the plan in a dxf file. Thank you
Blue Angels is offline Find More Posts by Blue Angels
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:03 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucej
ah so the fuz clicks together
any chance of a picture from below please ?
Sure, when I return home this evening I'll take a pic for you.