HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:48 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Discussion
If It's Not an AP/AV Flight, It's A Wasted Sortie or My First Official AP/AV Plane

It seems all I am flying now are AV sorties. I am even starting to sell off my other planes since I don't use them anymore. Who knew this would be so addicting. My PEC has turned out to be an excellent AV plane.

Frank

================================================== ========

Well after a number of not-so-good attempts at an aerial photography plane, I believe I have come up with a winner.

Plane is the PolecatAero's PEC and the camera is a Nikon 3700. AUW is a tad bit shy of 28 ounces. Motor used is a BP-21 with an 8x4DD GWS prop.

The nice thing about using the plane is that I can download the pics and videos without removing it from the airplane.

I have done three videos this morning, no AP yet. When I figure out how to upload a video I'll post a link.

Here are a couple of photos of the plane and camera.

Frank

Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2007, 01:59 PM
Baytown, Tx
Joined Jun 2007
316 Posts
Nice looking plane! This is the site I'm using now, vimeo.com Vimeo doesn't compress the videos nearly as bad as a lot of different sites.
APdude07 is offline Find More Posts by APdude07
Old Jul 08, 2007, 03:19 PM
Suspended Account
Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,071 Posts
I always like seeing new creations.
skymind is offline Find More Posts by skymind
Old Jul 08, 2007, 03:50 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Cool plane Frank. It looks like your camera is at a good angle, too.
I'm looking forward to seeing your videos (if you figure out how to put them on here ).

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Here is a link to my very first AV. It almost ended in disaster. The wing must have shifted forward which allowed the prop to come in contact with the wing dowels, breaking the prop and knocking the motor off out of its mount. The only thing holding the motor on was two bullet connectors. You can see how shaky the plane becomes once the CG is thrown off by the flopping motor.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/QKP7J93F6K7FTTM1

Frank
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Here's another.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/6NTDQYH7R6XFB7ZM

I'm the guy in the orange t-shirt if you look closely.

Frank
Old Jul 08, 2007, 05:56 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Great videos Frank! Is your plane okay from the first video?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
Nice videos. The 3700 helps to get a good job done with videos.

I've been out to Denny's Web site a few times and he has no specs on the PEC. What is the wing span? It looks like it's a 4 panel wing with the two inner panels constant chord. What is the chord and span of the inner panels?

I'm after the sq. in. of the wing. I originally thought the PEC was a 2M, but I know that is wrong.

Is the motor mount attached to the wing? If yes, I think that a foam wedge at the wing LE position, glued to the fuse with the blunt end towards the wing LE. could be used to hold the wing in position fore/aft.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Great videos Frank! Is your plane okay from the first video?
Thanks!

Oh yea, no worries. I first had thought the mount broke, that's when I made that barely audible comment at the end of my video. Nothing hurt. Just didn't get the flights in that I wanted to get.

Frank
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev
Nice videos. The 3700 helps to get a good job done with videos.

I've been out to Denny's Web site a few times and he has no specs on the PEC. What is the wing span? It looks like it's a 4 panel wing with the two inner panels constant chord. What is the chord and span of the inner panels?

I'm after the sq. in. of the wing. I originally thought the PEC was a 2M, but I know that is wrong.

Is the motor mount attached to the wing? If yes, I think that a foam wedge at the wing LE position, glued to the fuse with the blunt end towards the wing LE. could be used to hold the wing in position fore/aft.

R/E
Wing span is right at 60". Wing center section is 24". Chord is 7.5" on the main wing that tapers down to 5.5". I was thinking about emailing Denny to get another wing with two additional center sections and giving that a try.

The motor is arched with a ply motor mount. See attached photos.

Does that help?

Frank
Old Jul 08, 2007, 06:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
That makes it about 400 sq in (if I did the math right), or about 2.75 sq. ft. So 28 oz divided by 2.75 makes the wing loading about 10 oz/sq ft. That's not bad at all.

Relooking at the photos, it looks like some sort of balsa (break away) lip on the fuse to keep the wing LE in place would help with the "moving forward wing."

Thanks,

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Here are some photos I took this evening. Sun was going down and there was some haze in the air since it was so humid out.

I set up the camera to take a picture every 30 seconds. I would have liked them to be taken quicker, but that's the quickest setting.

Frank
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Here is my latest video. I'll be glad when the humidity dies down. Makes for some hazy videos. You will note about midway through the video when I cut the motor and the plane goes into a lazy downward spiral. I had completely lost sight of my plane. That sure was a scary few seconds!

http://rcuvideos.com/item/7DGQPNL0JMGJH1GD

Frank
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:04 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,394 Posts
Very, very nice! It looks like a great AP plane!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 09, 2007, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Very, very nice! It looks like a great AP plane!
Thanks! I am very impressed with it and how she flies with the additional weight of the camera. I was especially impressed with how I dropped it back down for a very successful landing when I was flying it at Beaver Dam yesterday. Came in between the trees, over the signs, geese, and vehicles for a perfect landing.

What I didn't realize is how addicting this AP/AV is. Somebody should have warned me!

Frank