HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2007, 03:58 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Discussion
Simple Indoor 3D Micro Plane project

Alright what I wanted to do was set about making a very simple 3D like indoor plane that can maintain a hover without much control authority and have the ability to have some type of unique flying characteristics. I will point out first that the results were a bit disappointing but I know there must be a way to beat the bugs.
I used a simple Picooz stock setup to be the brains and brawn of the flight setup. The actual plane is built from simple sheet wall foam and lightweight CF. The idea was that since a Picooz can maintain a very accurate hover once trimmed then it should be possible to modify an unusual airframe and incorporate this into the works. The first test flights were wild and crazy, the plane needed to be heavily trimmed to stop spinning. After a few tweaks and turns it was almost possible to launch by hand and stay in a hover for about 5 seconds before some unknown force cause the plane to try fly straight and level. It does fly if launched parallel to the ground although control is very difficult to achieve. I think with a bit of a design change I might be able to get this idea to work. The tail part doubles as a mock LG and I think this location is the reason for improper flight, the resultant forces seem to be out of alignment. It would make sense to change this location a bit.
AUW is 10.5 grams so there is enough juice to power it. I would make a nice video when I get this thing tweaked and able to perform 3D hover like flight. I suppose the main problem is that when the plane tilts more than 15 degrees to one side then the resultant force makes the plane level out and fly towards the wall. It can hover and looks pretty neat for about 5 seconds but maybe someone here has a few suggestions.
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:20 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
It the see-saw effect of the picco rotor head,Why not just a regular prop?
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:55 PM
Harrisburg Intl, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
379 Posts
take the weighted stability rotor off, and glue the main rotor so that its straight and it wont move...that should help with control
Jbiker31691 is offline Find More Posts by Jbiker31691
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:58 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,779 Posts
Any news???
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake