SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Harv, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 12:06 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Discussion
Fifth Element

My new best friend...EPP...

Heh, moratorium. Who was I trying to kid? But I'd better finish up what I'd started in my last post...

I filled out my little Alfa warbird fleet with the Beaufighter, Wildcat and Spitfire, and have had a ball with them. All are fantastic lookers and flyers, and thankfully will even handle a bit of wind. The first Beau now resemble a 3D jigsaw puzzle after a sloppy hand launch ended with a cartwheel, but bellyflopping #2 is just as nice in the air. I'll wait until winter to install retracts in it and the Spitfire, and next spring I'll be able to roll on the runway instead of sliding down it.

Which brings up the beginning of the end of this moratorium. Tiring of digging dirt, straw and weeds out of aircraft from bellying in on my field out back, I found out about Pro-Pex/Geotex materials and made a nice little 30'x100' runway to the north of the yard. It's just about perfect for electrics, and aside from mowing around it it is totally maintenance free. It cost a little more than sanity should allow, but the convenience of having my personal all weather strip is almost priceless.

So anyways, back to airplanes...Despite having almost too much fun flying my Alfa warbirds, I kept checking out a funny looking little piece of EPP foam called the Bug by Lightflite.com. It wasn't the looks, or the way it flew, or the price that drew me back time and time again...it was the words tough and durable that I kept seeing. Because as much as I love the Alfas, I'm usually somewhat terrified of smacking them into the ground and was looking for something I could just throw around the sky. I know (sadly from repeated personal experience) everything will crash eventually for one reason or another, but the fear factor is always there when I'm flying the Alfas so a worry-free aircraft looked quite appealing.

And worry free is quite an understatement when it comes to the Bug. I finally clicked the order button after a month of watching videos and reading about them, and quickly built it in an afternoon. Since that day I've flown it into the ground, trees, lamp posts, me, buildings, steel grain bins and more, and it has come through all of this with only two repairs that required glue. And it's a blast to fly to boot. I don't do much more than just randomly flip, loop, tumble and roll it through the air, but knowing there is nothing to fear allows me to do/try anything and everything I can think of. In the spirit of ignoring the moratorium I also picked up a Mini R3D from e-foamies that is also made from EPP, and it's as much fun or more to fly but isn't quite as indestructible (but is equally easy to repair).

Oh, and I bought a DX7 system too. Poor moratorium. I've sold a few things to offset the summer buying binge, but I think it's time to declare another halt to the spending.

Besides, I don't think there's anything left to buy. Is there...?
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
You got enough room to fly out there?

I could fall over from jealousy!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 03:32 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Heh, we might have a little extra space alright.

Needless to say that we don't worry too much about having to get anything down out of a tree.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv