HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:49 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
9.6v is the "nominal" voltage. A 8 cell 9.6v pack fully charged is about 11-11.5v.

NiCads/NiMh cells are 1.4-1.45v charged and 1.1v nominal.

LiPolys are 3.7v nominal voltage and 4.2v charged.

So a fully charged 3s LiPoly is 12.6v vs the 11.5v of NiCad/NiMh pack.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
Thanks, this helps a lot. But I am a little confused. I thought that fully charged the voltage for my TX was right at 11v... These packs you show here are 9.6v? Obviously I don't understand something???
And I learn some more....

Thanks!!!!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,138 Posts
It's not in front of me since I'm at work, but if memory serves, i think it's 6 channels. It has the little micro plugs (little white ones, jst I think), but the throttle channel is a standard futaba plug since esc's generally come with that plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-spin
GWRIGHT,

How many channels was the parkflyer receiver ?

Tony
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
BE ADVISED: Tower Hobbies is still shipping defective units!

Hi folks,

I thought that I'd share my recent experiences with Tower Hobbies regarding the purchase of (3) 7c FAAST radios. In my case, I ordered the transmitter/receiver combo with no servos.

My first attempt, ordered 31-Jan-2008 and shipped 1-Feb-2008 via priority mail came with a serial number within the recall lot of faulty (common encoding problem) transmitters.

Customer support was very helpful in assuring me that they were aware of the problem and first tried to have me go through Futaba to have my transmitter/receiver combo certified as safe to use. At any rate, I was patient and polite with the CSR manager and she assured me that their remaining stock was all checked and verified to be free of the encoding problem.

That talked me into purchasing another unit since I have been doing business with Tower Hobbies for many, many years with never one problem. As a gesture of good faith Tower Hobbies also gave me a discount on the second order, while I shipped the first unit back to them via priority mail with delivery confirmation.

Human error intervened with my replacement as the sales representative then sent that second Tx/Rx that I paid for via parcel post--the slowest shipping method to the Hawaiian Islands being standard 4-6 weeks, and to my physical address to boot. We get no residential mail delivery in my region of the Big Island.

Once I noticed that error in my shipping notification email I immediately contacted Tower Hobbies again. Once again the CSR was helpful and I politely insisted that they send a THIRD transmitter to me without charging me since the first TWO would be sent back to be recredited to my CC; read on:

Long story short (too late), that SNAFU replacement was shipped same day-7-Feb-2008 and I received it today. Great support, or so I thought until I got back from the P.O to see that yet again Tower Hobbies had sent me another factory-defective transmitter.

Being great at keeping their customers happy, the CSR I spoke with this afternoon will be emailing me a return-shipping label to send the second defective parcel back to Illinois.

Returns processing takes up to two weeks as I found out today, so it will be quite a while before I get the $500+ dollars of mis-spent monies re-credited to my visa card.

The transmitter that is currently in parcel post limbo will not get here (if at all) for another month but I am assuming at this point that it will too be a factory-defective unit. Time will tell but either way it is important to note that I was blatantly lied to about their remaining stock being checked.

So be advised, either take your business elsewhere (and likely still have to deal with this problem) or demand that your FAAST unit be checked against the recalled lot before being shipped--something that I have not tried and will not bother to do since I have had such a bad experience trying to purchase this radio.

Do note that I have nothing bad to say about Tower Hobbies in general as their customer support is just about the best in the industry but be wary of their factory-defective stock if you choose to purchase through them.

...and no, in case anyone was wondering whether or not there is a local HS in my area to have the unit(s) checked. Living on an island does have its drawbacks.

Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Last edited by Haole; Feb 12, 2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:34 AM
Joined Feb 2006
65 Posts
Worried about my purchase now!

Hi, Thanks for the information. Can you advice me of the defective batch serial numbers and what the fault is, as i purchased a set with standard servos before christmas.
heliloco is offline Find More Posts by heliloco
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:33 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliloco
Hi, Thanks for the information. Can you advice me of the defective batch serial numbers and what the fault is, as i purchased a set with standard servos before christmas.
The link to the service advisory/should-have-been-recalled stock was posted earlier in the thread:

http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/...m7-7c-6ex.html

In my case, both transmitters from Tower Hobbies had serials in this category:

"7C 07xxxxxxx without the "I" (Inspected) sticker"

Edit: I somehow missed this entire slingfest before placing my order..s...:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803207

I will be avoiding Futaba FASST radios until they come out with a new model.

Crikey
Last edited by Haole; Feb 12, 2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: More Info
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
hey is the fasst the same as the 7c in the sense that on dual elevator servos, you can only trim one???
DUMBERTHUMBS is offline Find More Posts by DUMBERTHUMBS
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:45 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,158 Posts
No, the FASST 7C has ailervator function now
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
sorry.... don't understand the definition of "ailevator" ..... when u trim the elevator, do both of them move, or just one like on the 7c???
thanks
DUMBERTHUMBS is offline Find More Posts by DUMBERTHUMBS
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
Both, new feature with the 7C 2.4.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
11 Posts
IamMcLovin..your right about the Fasst problem....check with Futaba there is an ALERT POSTED about TX's shipped from the factory with a univerasal Code installed by accident...they think about 700 units are affected...go to their web site and see if your TX serial number is affected....they have posted a list of hobby shops throught the US that have the TEST KIT to see if an individual TX is safe...what happens if two or more TX's show up at the same field they will shoot one another down...will not affect a your TX if it is not one of the affected ones....
rcpilot78 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot78
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2008
11 Posts
Futaba 2.4 ghz alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole
The link to the service advisory/should-have-been-recalled stock was posted earlier in the thread:

http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/...m7-7c-6ex.html

In my case, both transmitters from Tower Hobbies had serials in this category:

"7C 07xxxxxxx without the "I" (Inspected) sticker"

Edit: I somehow missed this entire slingfest before placing my order..s...:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803207

I will be avoiding Futaba FASST radios until they come out with a new model.

Crikey
You don't have to wait the problem is a batch of earlier TX were accidentaly shipped with that universal code..Futaba web site lists the affected TX serial numbers.....they also list habby shops in your area where you can take your TX and have it tested..If your TX fails the hobby shop is suppose to take your bad TX and give you a new one...no waiting for yours to be repaired......
rcpilot78 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot78
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2006
65 Posts
Testing can't be done in ....

Am in the process of checking my trans (am at work). Countries other than US, Costa Rica and Canada do not appear to have testing centres. Beware overseas buyers! I hope mine doesn't have this serial number, it will cost me on customs charges and hassle! Its a real shame as i think the radio rocks!
heliloco is offline Find More Posts by heliloco
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:32 PM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
does this mean the 7c is not available in the UK?
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:43 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Err...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot78
You don't have to wait the problem is a batch of earlier TX were accidentaly shipped with that universal code..Futaba web site lists the affected TX serial numbers.....they also list habby shops in your area where you can take your TX and have it tested..If your TX fails the hobby shop is suppose to take your bad TX and give you a new one...no waiting for yours to be repaired......
...read the other thread wherein z Germans have recalled the entire series of FASST 7c and two other transmitters because they are all susceptible to being zeroed out. This is not just a small batch of transmitters leaving the factory with zero encoding but a serious design flaw in which any 7C and the other two listed FASST units can be accidentally borked by the user.

Until Futaba comes out with new hardware (they're just re-flashing the software in the 7C) I'd steer clear of this radio technology for now. That's just me though on top of being screwed by Tower and then last night discovering the extent of this FUBAR, so take your radio with a grain of salt.

In the mean time I'll wait impatiently for something reliable to come out in the price range that I was looking at. Dunno, maybe even stick with 72Mhz.

Sour taste in mouth? Check.